Straws at drink stations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say this has been one of the most entertaining threads I have ever read on disboards :)

I never knew straws could bring out such passion. I actually can say I learned things on both sides of the issue. Much better debate than what is going on politically in the United States right now :)

When I want a soda I want a soda, thanks. My dentist told me to use a straw and I'll follow his advice on that. Anyway, rinsing with water after each swallow is not only ineffective, it would actually incur more waste, because it would require another cup...

If your teeth are SO BAD that you would need to rinse your mouth after each sip of a soda, god bless you. Seriously.

With regards to the very sad turtle video, DH and I were musing about it last night. How do you suppose a straw got that far up the poor guy's nose? I mean, I could imagine it getting stuck a little way if he bumped into it, but that was pushed right up him. We started thinking and wondered if a very cruel human had anything to do with it.

Anyone have any other ideas?

With regards to the very sad turtle video, DH and I were musing about it last night. How do you suppose a straw got that far up the poor guy's nose? I mean, I could imagine it getting stuck a little way if he bumped into it, but that was pushed right up him. We started thinking and wondered if a very cruel human had anything to do with it.

Anyone have any other ideas?

While that is possible, it would require a bizarre amount of Sadism, and if someone is that sick, why stop there? Most likely in my mind is the turtle raised only its nose up for a breath just above the water line and inhaled just as the straw was floating by. It then got lodged into its nose and continued to travel up its nostril the more it tried to inhale with it.

Even worse for sea turtles is plastic bags. To them, they look exactly like the jellyfish that they eat, so the turtles intentionally go after the bags. Once they grab one in their mouths, it is a strong possibility that the bag will suffocate the turtle. Or they do swallow the bag and it just sits in their stomach providing no nutritional value whatsoever.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...stic-new-study-claims/?utm_term=.8e8cd943014e

Don’t open link above.

I’m not sure what you posted but all I’m getting from you link is spam sales. No article to read.

Yeah that's really weird. Hopefully not a virus on my phone! I'll look into it shorty and report but don't click that link in the meantime.
Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah that's really weird.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...reholders-vote-keep-plastic-straws/640916002/

How strange, it looks like that's Dis throwing extra code onto the website link. Hopefully not a trend that we will see continue. Don't click the above link, but feel free to copy it.
Here's a copy of the text from it:

McDonald's shareholders Thursday turned aside a proposal to take the first step toward a ban on plastic straws.

A shareholder proposal backed by a consumer group received only 7.65% of the vote at the company's annual meeting. The measure would have required McDonald's to prepare a report to shareholders about the business risks of using plastic straws.

The rejection was not unexpected given that McDonald's management had recommended against it. In doing so, it cited a series of major steps it is taking to cut waste and boost the company's sustainability image.

The fast-food chain distributes an estimated 95 million single-use straws around the world every day, according to the consumer advocacy group SumOfUs.

"The problem with plastic is that it never disappears. It breaks into smaller and smaller pieces," marine biologist and SumOfUs member Elaine Leung said at the meeting. "Although many of you may see plastic straws as a harmless little item, they soon add up and their size means they pose a particular hazard."

More than 480,00 people added their names to a SumOfUs online petition urging McDonald's to get rid of plastic straws, the organization said. McDonald's restaurants in the United Kingdom are experimenting with paper straws and keeping the plastic ones behind the counter, available only on request.

"We continue to work to find a more sustainable solution for plastic straws globally," the McDonald's said Monday. "In the meantime, we have adopted compostable straws in certain markets to meet regulations while we work with packaging experts to develop a planet-friendly, cost-effective answer for all McDonald’s restaurants."

Last edited:
Starbucks has just rolled out a sort of adult sippy cup lid for their Frappuccinos.

It's not for the Frappuccinos as far as I can tell--those still get the regular dome lid to accommodate whipped cream. It's for the cold foam iced beverages, which wouldn't "work" if consumed through a straw (because you'd lose the foam effect). Though I'm sure you can request a cold foam lid for any cold beverage.

epic thread

they were plastic when I was on the Fantasy two weeks ago. We don't use the drink station because we're bottled water drinkers (*ducks*)... but we always recycle our water and bring our own bags to grocery stores, etc... I had no idea how harmful plastic straws were to the environment so I learned from this thread...

just curious to the anti-plastic straw peeps on this thread - do you guys drink coffee/tea from a Keurig or the traditional route?

epic thread

they were plastic when I was on the Fantasy two weeks ago. We don't use the drink station because we're bottled water drinkers (*ducks*)... but we always recycle our water and bring our own bags to grocery stores, etc... I had no idea how harmful plastic straws were to the environment so I learned from this thread...

just curious to the anti-plastic straw peeps on this thread - do you guys drink coffee/tea from a Keurig or the traditional route?

I have a Mr. Coffee equivalent of a Keurig, but I have the reusable K-cup that I fill with ground coffee. And if I DO use the actual K-cup things, I wash them out and use them for art projects in my classroom.

epic thread

I don't drink coffee or tea so no Keurig for me or anyone in my family.

epic thread

Haha that would be quite ironic, wouldn't it? I'm pretty sure K cups are well known as being absolutely awful.

Haha that would be quite ironic, wouldn't it? I'm pretty sure K cups are well known as being absolutely awful.

Has the inventor of it even expressed remorse? Can you recycle them? We don't use kcup but was curious if they are recyclable?

Has the inventor of it even expressed remorse? Can you recycle them? We don't use kcup but was curious if they are recyclable?

I believe so, but not 100%. They can be used in craft projects, so they're at least repurpose-able.

Yes, the inventor absolutely hates the monster that he created, but he sold his rights away, so there is nothing more that he can do other than say "I made a terrible mistake, don't buy them."

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter