Starting to get flight anxiety

TinkB278

DIS Veteran
I have four flights booked to Disney over the next year. I previously suffered from pretty bad flight anxiety but was able to get over it by studying flight statistics and operations, but in light of all the Boeing controversy and various flight malfunctions, my anxiety about my upcoming trips is at an all time high. Anyone else struggling with the news of constant plane issues? Anyone have any words of wisdom to comfort a freaked out flier? I apologize in advance is this is not posted in the correct section of the boards.

I'd be lying if I said I haven't become slightly more anxious about flying recently but for me the main reasons I'm choosing not to fly these days is due to anxiety over delayed/cancelled flights, the cost, the terrible flight schedules, and the overall hassle.

So instead the last time I went to Disney I drove and the next time I go to Disney I will be driving.

Just my personal preference when possible.

Perhaps you could speak to your doctor about how you've been more anxious about it lately and they may have a medication that could relax you about it if that's something you're interested in.

Yes. I have really bad flight anxiety, mostly around take off and landing. I wish I had word of wisdom but my flight last year was the first time I really dealt with it since there was a really long gap and I didn’t remember what flying was like. This time I just kind of had to act excited and white knuckle my way through it because it was my daughters first flight and I didn’t want her to see I was afraid.

I have found that my biggest issue is the sound of take off, I also get motion sick. This time I put my headphones in to muffle the sound and it helped a bit. Once I’m in the sky I just try to ignore that I’m actually flying and focus on a book or movie. It also helps that I always really want to get where I’m going.

I do think flying is cool but it scares me.🫣 If I could convince my husband to drive, I would do it in a heart beat.

I'd be lying if I said I haven't become slightly more anxious about flying recently but for me the main reasons I'm choosing not to fly these days is due to anxiety over delayed/cancelled flights, the cost, the terrible flight schedules, and the overall hassle.

So instead the last time I went to Disney I drove and the next time I go to Disney I will be driving.

Just my personal preference when possible.

Perhaps you could speak to your doctor about how you've been more anxious about it lately and they may have a medication that could relax you about it if that's something you're interested in.
Glad to know I’m not alone. Thank you for sharing!

How long is the drive for you? I’ve considered this but it would take multiple days.

Also, great suggestion about requesting medication for the flights. I’m currently nursing so I’ll ask my doctor if there is anything they can provide that won’t harm my son.

Glad to know I’m not alone. Thank you for sharing!

How long is the drive for you? I’ve considered this but it would take multiple days.

Also, great suggestion about requesting medication for the flights. I’m currently nursing so I’ll ask my doctor if there is anything they can provide that won’t harm my son.

Anywhere from 19-22 hours split over 2 days each way.
Basically if I leave early AM and drive all day with quick stops and then an overnight stay I can arrive at Disney by noon the next day.

We did have along discussion about it here.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/anyone-else-feeling-nervous-about-these-boeing-issues.3942043/

I've been in your position and after years I was able to get past it. It just took time.
I can list all the statics, but in the end that does not really help does it.

Medication really did not help me - the adrenaline I think overrode it.
Alcohol helped me - but that's not a great recommendation for everyone

Driving - its just too long for me - I tried it. Its over 24 hours (plus a stop) and I can fly in 2.5 hours.
Trains really are not an option either unfortunately

This may be controversial advice, but I used to get very nervous too.
My father, a very wise man, asked if it's going to keep me from traveling, which I said no. Then he asked what I'm afraid of, I said dying.
He said, completely seriously, well you'll be dead and either you won't know or won't care, so why waste time worrying.

I know that sounds simple, but it really helped me to just relax and not worry about something I can't control.

Maybe this will also help someone else. 😀

Also, don't be afraid to use medication. Ativan works wonders for flying.

I have four flights booked to Disney over the next year. I previously suffered from pretty bad flight anxiety but was able to get over it by studying flight statistics and operations, but in light of all the Boeing controversy and various flight malfunctions, my anxiety about my upcoming trips is at an all time high. Anyone else struggling with the news of constant plane issues? Anyone have any words of wisdom to comfort a freaked out flier? I apologize in advance is this is not posted in the correct section of the boards.
Hi Tink: Boy do I know what you are talking about. I will tell you what helped me completely get over my severe fear of flying. I was so bad that I was physically sick about 2 weeks before a trip. I had to take a dramamine (and sometimes a drink) just to get on the plane. Then I repeated all that for the trip back. It was awful and I tried everything to get it to stop. Then a good friend of mine was a licensed hypnotherapist, so I had her give it a try. She had a hard time getting me to sleep but then when I awoke, I had No Fear of flying at all. Now I can get on a plane like everyone else and not be even a little bit anxious or afraid. It's wonderful. I would suggest trying hypnotherapy from a licensed and recommended therapist. I was very doubtful about doing this but because I knew her and trusted her, I gave it a try and it was definitely worth it. Hope you get some help with this problem:)

I also had a good friend who is a pilot for a major airline tell me all about the statistics, etc, but even that did not help.

He said, completely seriously, well you'll be dead and either you won't know or won't care, so why waste time worrying.

I know that sounds simple, but it really helped me to just relax and not worry about something I can't control.

Maybe this will also help someone else. 😀
This is sort of what helped me as all - but was not going to say it...

My daughter has been an avid follower of aviation forums, TikTok’s, and YouTube channels for several years. She finds it fascinating. However, that’s all made her a bit anxious about flying recently (stories with zero issues don’t make good content). She was just accepted to a PhD program at University of Arizona and currently lives in Minnesota. I told her she needs to find some feel-good stories or be prepared to drive 24 hours one way to look for housing and meet with her advisors.

Commercial Pilot here. While what you are reading and hearing about on the news sounds alarming, one thing I can recommend is to not watch any video news discussing aviation - the newscasters ARE ENTERTAINERS (they practice those scary looks and pauses lol) and the hype from them is nothing like what you'd hear if you spoke directly with air transportation mechanics or others actually IN the industry. If you still want to be in on all the gossip about Boeing etc. at least Read about it (it is still hype/entertainment) but might be less stressful. Every pilot I know worries more about getting hurt driving to/from the airport, than flying on a commercial airliner ;) Wishing you peaceful flights to Wonderful destinations!

I wanted to add that I am someone who enjoys background noise at home and stumbled on a flight (not sure if that's the right description) youtuber called Noel Phillips. He flies all over reviewing different airlines and planes, including some involved in incidents and talks about them. I find it interesting and there's something about watching him take tons of flights and not really have any issue on planes that are as old as I am that makes me feel a bit better.

My drive would be 18 hours without stops (which is why my husband won't do it :rolleyes2)

Yes. I have really bad flight anxiety, mostly around take off and landing. I wish I had word of wisdom but my flight last year was the first time I really dealt with it since there was a really long gap and I didn’t remember what flying was like. This time I just kind of had to act excited and white knuckle my way through it because it was my daughters first flight and I didn’t want her to see I was afraid.

I have found that my biggest issue is the sound of take off, I also get motion sick. This time I put my headphones in to muffle the sound and it helped a bit. Once I’m in the sky I just try to ignore that I’m actually flying and focus on a book or movie. It also helps that I always really want to get where I’m going.

I do think flying is cool but it scares me.🫣 If I could convince my husband to drive, I would do it in a heart beat.
I’m in the same boat with my kids. I hide that I’m nervous because I don’t want them to think there is anything to be scared about. I usually try to find a movie to watch as well to help the time pass and get my mind off of things.

I’m also required to fly for work in a month and that one is really getting me, the thought of something happening to me on a work trip flight that I didn’t want to go on in the first place….

Commercial Pilot here. While what you are reading and hearing about on the news sounds alarming, one thing I can recommend is to not watch any video news discussing aviation - the newscasters ARE ENTERTAINERS (they practice those scary looks and pauses lol) and the hype from them is nothing like what you'd hear if you spoke directly with air transportation mechanics or others actually IN the industry. If you still want to be in on all the gossip about Boeing etc. at least Read about it (it is still hype/entertainment) but might be less stressful. Every pilot I know worries more about getting hurt driving to/from the airport, than flying on a commercial airliner ;) Wishing you peaceful flights to Wonderful destinations!
Thank you!!! Helps so much to hear from you! So commercial pilots don’t have these fears about flying Boeing planes right now?

Hi Tink: Boy do I know what you are talking about. I will tell you what helped me completely get over my severe fear of flying. I was so bad that I was physically sick about 2 weeks before a trip. I had to take a dramamine (and sometimes a drink) just to get on the plane. Then I repeated all that for the trip back. It was awful and I tried everything to get it to stop. Then a good friend of mine was a licensed hypnotherapist, so I had her give it a try. She had a hard time getting me to sleep but then when I awoke, I had No Fear of flying at all. Now I can get on a plane like everyone else and not be even a little bit anxious or afraid. It's wonderful. I would suggest trying hypnotherapy from a licensed and recommended therapist. I was very doubtful about doing this but because I knew her and trusted her, I gave it a try and it was definitely worth it. Hope you get some help with this problem:)

I also had a good friend who is a pilot for a major airline tell me all about the statistics, etc, but even that did not help.
So good to hear from someone else in the same boat who overcame the fear. I will definitely try to find a hypnotist near me. It sounds so nice to no longer have this anxiety.

We did have along discussion about it here.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/anyone-else-feeling-nervous-about-these-boeing-issues.3942043/

I've been in your position and after years I was able to get past it. It just took time.
I can list all the statics, but in the end that does not really help does it.

Medication really did not help me - the adrenaline I think overrode it.
Alcohol helped me - but that's not a great recommendation for everyone

Driving - its just too long for me - I tried it. Its over 24 hours (plus a stop) and I can fly in 2.5 hours.
Trains really are not an option either unfortunately
Sorry about that, I tried to go back a few pages to see if any of the plane issues had been discussed and didn’t see anything. It’s somewhat comforting to know others share the same concerns (or maybe it’s the opposite of comforting??)

Thank you!!! Helps so much to hear from you! So commercial pilots don’t have these fears about flying Boeing planes right now?
I have no fears. And I don't know anyone in the industry who is overly concerned, since we understand the aviation industry is held to a very high safety standard. Everyone I know is still happily boarding flights, and taking their families on (flying) vacations. As statistics show, Boeing has an incredible track record. All the flights arriving without a single bump never make the news ;)

//Edited to Add: I WILL say, you'll typically find airline industry people sitting in their seats with belts on - most belt the entire flight (if not going to the restroom or stretching our legs) due to concerns about turbulence and bumping your head etc. Wearing a seat belt seems like simple common sense in a car or in an airplane.//

Last edited:
Can we add this to every other conversation going on where people are worried about things they saw in the media. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter