Starting to get flight anxiety

I don't. And I don't know anyone in the industry who is overly concerned, since we understand the aviation industry is held to a very high safety standard. Everyone I know is still happily boarding flights, and taking their families on (flying) vacations. As statistics show, Boeing has an incredible track record. All the flights arriving without a single bump never make the news ;)
I was told once that as long as your airline is one that touches down in the states they have to adhere to those super high standards, so just stick with them & you improve your stats immensely.

I have four flights booked to Disney over the next year. I previously suffered from pretty bad flight anxiety but was able to get over it by studying flight statistics and operations, but in light of all the Boeing controversy and various flight malfunctions, my anxiety about my upcoming trips is at an all time high. Anyone else struggling with the news of constant plane issues? Anyone have any words of wisdom to comfort a freaked out flier? I apologize in advance is this is not posted in the correct section of the boards.
I also feel anxious when I fly so I understand. I don't know if these are tips but just things that work for me. I know everyone is different. I try not to read the news prior to a trip. As well, deep breathing and meditation really helps calm my mind.

There is always one point before every trip where I get anxious about flying. Sometimes it's months before, sometimes weeks. It's normal, and I just keep telling myself that. Honestly, every time I get to the airport and check in, it all goes away. After I'm in the airport, it's just pure excitement.

As a trained mathematician, I just find it mind blowing that there are people who think that driving is safer. There are over 100 deaths per day from auto accidents in the US, on average.

As a trained mathematician, I just find it mind blowing that there are people who think that driving is safer. There are over 100 deaths per day from auto accidents in the US, on average.
But there are many more people driving than flying. As a trained mathematician, you clearly realise that that number is meaningless (in terms of saying that driving isn't safer), unless you include the denominator.

But there are many more people driving than flying. As a trained mathematician, you clearly realise that that number is meaningless (in terms of saying that driving isn't safer), unless you include the denominator.
More people driving makes it less safe.. no?

More people driving makes it less safe.. no?
No. If you're talking about an individual (which we are here) their risk is the number of people killed/hurt when driving divided by the number of people who are driving. And then replace driving with flying for risk of flying.

If you are talking about overall burden on morality/morbidity, then, yes, more people would increase the burden.

Arguably, more people on the roads increases the risk of accidents, but, again, not what the PP said or what people were talking about when saying that driving is safer than flying.

No. If you're talking about an individual (which we are here) their risk is the number of people killed/hurt when driving divided by the number of people who are driving. And then replace driving with flying for risk of flying.

If you are talking about overall burden on morality/morbidity, then, yes, more people would increase the burden.

Arguably, more people on the roads increases the risk of accidents, but, again, not what the PP said or what people were talking about when saying that driving is safer than flying.
I’d think what the meaning is… what are the chances of being killed in both situations?
Let’s say I’m going to WDW next month from CA and I’m debating whether to drive or to fly… which has a higher chance of making it unharmed?

Wait, I think we are all saying the same thing. lol
Flying is safer, correct? (who said driving was safer?)

The number of deaths per passenger-mile on commercial airlines in the United States between 2000 and 2010 was about 0.2 deaths per 10 billion passenger-miles,[89][90] while for driving, the rate was 1.5 per 100 million vehicle-miles for 2000, which is 150 deaths per 10 billion miles for comparison with the air travel rate.[16][91][92][93]

The per mile risk for vehicle transportation is therefore 750 times higher than the per mile risk for commercial air travel.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transportation_safety_in_the_United_States

I’d think what the meaning is… what are the chances of being killed in both situations?
Let’s say I’m going to WDW next month from CA and I’m debating whether to drive or to fly… which has a higher chance of making it unharmed?
Right, so just stating that X number of people are killed in car accidents each day doesn't help argue the point. You need to look at it relative to the number of people driving.

But, I misread the post I quoted. My point stands, but I misunderstood which argument the poster was making. No one is saying that driving is safer.

Well this new article is terrifying and not reassuring at all…

https://apple.news/A4zlQHUfZRnmdtbPzRC_HlQ

Stop reading this stuff. Seriously.
Are you going to cancel your trip and never fly again?
Stop.
The news capitalizes on what's scaring people.
What is the end game in spending countless hours worrying about this?

Just stop, relax and know you are going to get on your flight and be okay.

Last edited:
The number of deaths per passenger-mile on commercial airlines in the United States between 2000 and 2010 was about 0.2 deaths per 10 billion passenger-miles,[89][90] while for driving, the rate was 1.5 per 100 million vehicle-miles for 2000, which is 150 deaths per 10 billion miles for comparison with the air travel rate.[16][91][92][93]

The per mile risk for vehicle transportation is therefore 750 times higher than the per mile risk for commercial air travel.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transportation_safety_in_the_United_States
Sorry, I misinterpreted your first post (not sure how - totally on me there) but having the rates is helpful for proving the point.

Stop reading this stuff. Seriously.
Are you going to cancel your trip and never fly again?
Stop.
The news capitalizes on what's scaring people.
What is the end game in spending countless hours worrying about this?

Just stop, relax and know you are going to get on your flight and be okay.
I get news alerts that pop up on my phone and this was one of those. I opened it hoping for reassurance that “yes of course flying is still incredibly safe”. It’s the first time I’ve read something from a major news outlet basically saying it’s getting less safe and that some expert refuses to fly the Boeing max planes (I’m booked on several max flights this year ugh).

I get news alerts that pop up on my phone and this was one of those. I opened it hoping for reassurance that “yes of course flying is still incredibly safe”. It’s the first time I’ve read something from a major news outlet basically saying it’s getting less safe and that some expert refuses to fly the Boeing max planes (I’m booked on several max flights this year ugh).
My question is what is the "expert" getting out of saying that? My guess is that this guy contacted CNN and made his claim, then CNN contacted the professor that gave his opinion. The naysayer almost has me curious enough to look into his "Foundation for Aviation Security" specifically their financials.

OP, I'm an aviation geek and there's actually a ton of pro commercial pilots on YouTube who post videos going over common sources of anxiety and fear on flights and they calmly explain what's happening and why you shouldn't be scared. It may not work for everyone, but fear of the unknown is a big deal and some people find it helpful to have those explanations from an expert.

As far as the Boeing situation, I tend to avoid them anyway because I primarily fly JetBlue and their fleet is AirBus outside of the short hop jets. But even though there's no guarantee because airlines can and do swap out planes at the last minute, you can see what plane a flight is using when booking so you can avoid it. Certain flight aggregator sites are also adding it as search a filter.

My question is what is the "expert" getting out of saying that? My guess is that this guy contacted CNN and made his claim, then CNN contacted the professor that gave his opinion. The naysayer almost has me curious enough to look into his "Foundation for Aviation Security" specifically their financials.
Just a brief look into the organization and Pierson, I don’t see any ulterior motives for speaking out?

Well this new article is terrifying and not reassuring at all…

https://apple.news/A4zlQHUfZRnmdtbPzRC_HlQ
Okay, first of all the OP should not be reading that link - whether there is truth in it or not - IT IS WRITTEN IN SUCH AS WAY AS TO GET CLICKS AND SELL THE ITEMS SHOWN ON THE PAGES. It has no other "function" in life except to BE HYPE lol. For example, if you wanted to get a puppy, you'd be foolish to go reading all the stories (with purposely scary photos) of dogs attacking people - that's written as Click Bait and has little or no relationship to puppies.

Maybe the wrong place to ask this as it’s a little off topic…. Has anyone changed their flight decisions with their lap children in light of the Alaska airlines blow out? I have two trips to Disney planned with my toddler as a lap child, but now am feeling like I should buy him his own seat. The issue is our little 3 hour flight is now up to almost $800 for our June trip, so it will be a huge cost, and I’m also not sure if he will ever quit screaming if we strap him into a car seat…. Curious for others thoughts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter