SSR questions

figment97

Mouseketeer
Okay... nervous "about ready to buy" questions here... so please, give me your honest feelings.

We went to Doorway to Dreams this past weekend and we are on the verge.

Anywho... we are a family of four (two girls, 6 and 2)... Mom and Dad. We're thinking about buying into SSR, but have also thought about the AKV.

Can we go wrong with either? We love DTD... so there's a point for SSR... but we figured it would be cool to wake up to the animals as well, point for AKV.

Anyways... I'm probably making to much of it... but was wondering who out there loves/dislikes either... and why?

PPPLLLLEEEAAASSSEEE... your info is greatly appreciated. We are leaning SSR at this point.

we have points at both SSR and AKV......we really love SSR and, like you, we love DTD....it's so convenient to be able to run over for shopping, lunch or dinners...we are excited about AKV (especially the animals) but we thought it was a better add on as opposed to our first purchase....your our two cents

Aside from the obvious differences between the two, another factor to consider is that the point structure is very different..............AKV has 4 categories of accommodations (and points), while SSR has one. If that is important to you (such as wanting to stay Concierge, or "saving" some points by staying Value), remember that those two are very limited in number and would probably be extremely difficult to reserve at 7 months. Savanna and standard wouldn't be as limited once Kidani is built.
If the point category isn't an issue, but DTD is, then SSR works for you.

:goodvibes

DVC Grammy has a great point about the points structure. I love SSR but do think in the long run you will be able to get into it at the 7 month mark at any time.

I also agree you can't go wrong either way . We just had great stays at the BCV and Vero this past year after 2 wonderful trips at SSR.

As you can see from my signature we opted for SSR. Just bought in June, but stayed there last December. Main points for us were the location next to DTD and the MF's. Haven't been to AKV yet, but will be staying there in two weeks. Even if we love it, I won't regret our decision to buy at SSR for the previous reasons. AKV will give you a couple extra years too. Really comes down to your gut feel, either way you can't go wrong. :thumbsup2

We are so pleased with our purchase at SSR. One thing we prefer about SSR is the decor (have not stayed at AKV but have seen models). Although we think AKV's decor is well themed and unique, we prefer SSR's for the "homey" feel. It's bright and airy. It seems more like something that we would not tire of over the long haul and multiple visits. Others, however, despise SSR's decor for its "lack" of theming. So, it truly is a personal decision.

We definitely plan to stay at AKV because we love the animals and current restaurants, but are quite happy to call SSR our home.

We rejected the idea of an AKV add-on and added on at SSR instead. Our reasons for doing so were: cost & location. SSR is cheaper to buy and own. It also has more things in walkable distance. We tend to head over to DTD a lot either early morning or late evening. In AKV we'd be hanging out in our room more and riding the bus to get somewhere. Having stayed at that end of the property I know it feels much farther from things.

AKV is a great add-on destination, but it doesn't feel like there's enough there to make it our home over extended stays.

That's my 2 cents on the subject. Good luck in your choice! Either way, you'll enjoy your DVC stays.

We own at both SSR and AKV, so my answer is you can't go wrong! :rotfl:

Seriously, though, once AKV is complete, it will be quite large--just about the same size as OKW. Thus, 7-month window should not be a major issue at either resort (except, of course for the massively peak times like Christmas week, etc.).

However, if you are really looking forward to Concierge level at AKV (and there will be CL at the new section, Kidani Village), then you may want AKV--seems like you will really need the booking advantage for that.

Good luck and let us know when we can welcome you home!

We're SSR owners and although AKL was not available at the time, I still think we would have gone for SSR. I'm really looking forward to staying at AKL but can't see that it would hold its attraction for years to come IMHO. Great with young kids but with teenagers/young adults??? DTD has far more of a draw for many years and you can just wander over there if they're late rolling home :scared1: :)

NARM

So we had a few reasons for buying SSR. I agree with the post that the rooms are very airy and the resort is a bit quieter. Animal Kingdom is very busy. The other big thing for us was how close you are to DTD and the fact that the resort is very centrally located. AKL is very far away from everyhting except Animal Kingdom. We go the Animal Kingdom on every trip however we still end up at other parks everyday becuase it closes so early. Just our thought but we love it and the cost is slightly lower.

We are new SSR owners. Had the DVC presentation at DLR, went to WDW mid August and visited both resorts, and then came back and bought SSR.

First, both are wonderful and very different vibes. We bought DVC to take family and extended family vacations at WDW. So that was the biggest factor for us, which resort would suit the family. Right now there is only one small child in the extended family and while she loves animals, she would rather ride her bicycle all day. We have a very active family, 2 marathon runners, several others that are training to run marathons and the rest are avid walkers. Plus being able to work out and play golf and tennis played into our decision.

I spent a lot of time standing at all the public viewing areas watching the animals at AKL imagining what a thrill it would be to wake up and see the animals. BUT there really aren't any paths/walkways for runners or walkers now or projected in the Kidani Village area. At SSR, just the way the resort is set up and across the way from DTD, there are plenty of scenic paths/walkways and you can rent bicycles from the community hall as well as surreys. And finally, it's a personal reason but one that makes me (mama) happy...I like the kitchen better at SSR<G> You can face the balcony and living room area. In the AKV rooms, the kitchen counter faces the washer/dryer or door to the studio. I know it's a small thing and I do love the colors in the AKV kitchen BUT I like to face a window and people when I'm in the kitchen...not that I plan to be there a lot, but if I'm with family, chances are I'm cooking<G>

We could "see" ourselves spending long vacations in the SSR units...just like "home". While we love the Poly, to take 10-12 people there is a very expensive vacation if we stay a week. We want to pile our families into the plane every other year and enjoy wdw, just like we did when my mom and dad did with us when my daughters were little. 9 of us just spent time at DLR this last weekend, and all we could talk about was going to wdw with my dad next summer and maybe every summer while he can still enjoy it.

You can crunch numbers, make spreadsheets and list pros/cons all you want, but it comes down to that emotional tug...which fits your family best.

Good Luck and hope to "welcome you home" soon!

We bought at SSR last week....we loved the AKV models, and already booked a trip there for DD10 bday..however...SSR has a spa on property...more recreation...close to DTD...this is a resort DH and I could fly down to for a quick relaxing weekend and not do any parks.
Plus...lower MF's made it more appealing:)

We bought SSR because
1. Our kids love DTD and we like being just a short walk away.
2. Nothing is more relaxing to me than just hanging out by High Rock Springs pool while the kids are playing there.
3. The resort's location is (for us) better than AKV. (We also own at BCV, which has the best overall location for us, but the lack of grand villas makes it not work for us for some trips.)
4. We love to go running, and SSR's laid out well for that.
5. I'm a cheapskate, so the per-point price plus low MFs were really appealing. (Although the cheapskate in me REALLY wants access to AKV Value rooms at 11 months, too! :laughing: Plus the same aforementioned cheapskate wants some OKW points so she can book their ultra-low-points grand villas at 11 months...:rotfl2: )
Anyway, I think in the end you can't go wrong. You will probably end up staying at many different resorts and, if you're like us, enjoying them all for different reasons.

We first bought BWV through the Timeshare Store then added on at VWL through Disney. As soon as AKV was available, the very first day, we bought there, too. We didn't buy into DVC earlier because we loved AKL as our favorite Disney resort and didn't want to give it up to own DVC. Also, Jiko's is our favorite restaurant on Disney property. We are SO happy that now we can stay at our favorite location as part of DVC!!!

We've only really driven through SSR and I didn't like it much at all. There's a huge difference to me. I love the "hotel" like DVC locations (obviously, based on the that we own.) I don't care for the condo like spread out versions like SSR. Just a difference in taste.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter