Split stay, which resort first and why? Saratoga Springs and Polynesian

Childs1stTime2Disney

*A dream is a wish your heart makes*
What is your thought process of which resort to stay at first when doing a split stay? Do you choose based on parks you want to visit first? Do you chose based on room size in each resort? What helps you decide? Our decision will probably be a 1 bedroom at Saratoga Springs and Polynesian Villa room. Would it be difficult to go from a large one bedroom to a smaller Polynesian Villa room? 4 people in our family. 4 nights each resort. Our favorite park is MK and we always like to do it at the beginning and end of all trips. I don't mind paying for a Minnie van here and there, also. Help me make a good decision!!

Last edited:
For us we always go from smaller accommodations to larger.

We generally fly in the night before so I hate to waste points on a 1 bedroom right away. My SO always vetoes me when I suggest using Marriott or Hilton points for the first night so we grab a studio for a few nights when we have clean clothes then we move to a one bedroom and start doing laundry. :)

SO hates split stays but refuses to move more than once. :)

Parks usually take precedence, but ending at Poly would probably change my thoughts as it is the much better resort. Location, theme, food, etc.

I usually arrange it so the start of the trip is more park-heavy and the end of the trip is more resort and relaxation focused. This doesn't always work, especially on shorter trips or party days, but that's the general guideline.

In your case, Poly has both the better location and nicer pool IMO. But Saratoga has the larger room, Disney Springs, and is usually quieter. If you're going to both start and end with Magic Kingdom, I think both options are honestly equally good. Just schedule your Epcot days while at Poly, since you can walk right to the Epcot monorail.

Based on some of your comments, I think I would start at Poly - enjoy MK for a few days. Then move to the larger 1BR at SSR - enjoy any other parks you might like to do (even more MK, but with bus service!) and perhaps take advantage of dining at Disney Springs while at SSR. Another advantage of moving to the larger 1BR is you'll have a washer/dryer, should you choose to use it. It could make your packing so much easier/lighter when you know you can throw a load of wash in and wear items again before heading home!

Based on some of your comments, I think I would start at Poly - enjoy MK for a few days. Then move to the larger 1BR at SSR - enjoy any other parks you might like to do (even more MK, but with bus service!) and perhaps take advantage of dining at Disney Springs while at SSR. Another advantage of moving to the larger 1BR is you'll have a washer/dryer, should you choose to use it. It could make your packing so much easier/lighter when you know you can throw a load of wash in and wear items again before heading home!
Ok another issue I didn't mention but considering 4th of July and so, timeframe wise, I rather be at the Poly on the 4th due to fireworks at MK. Otherwise I would definitely do Poly 1st.

Ok another issue I didn't mention but considering 4th of July and so, timeframe wise, I rather be at the Poly on the 4th due to fireworks at MK. Otherwise I would definitely do Poly 1st.

If you are there over the 4th, you should definitely do Poly over that holiday.

I would usually recommend nicer resort last, however, for such a long trip, I think I would start at Poly and then end at SSR when you might be running out of steam and would like to relax a little bit.

What is your thought process of which resort to stay at first when doing a split stay? Do you choose based on parks you want to visit first? Do you chose based on room size in each resort? What helps you decide? Our decision will probably be a 1 bedroom at Saratoga Springs and Polynesian Villa room. Would it be difficult to go from a large one bedroom to a smaller Polynesian Villa room? 4 people in our family. 4 nights each resort. Our favorite park is MK and we always like to do it at the beginning and end of all trips. I don't mind paying for a Minnie van here and there, also. Help me make a good decision!!
I'd do Poly 2nd because I like it a lot more than SS. Whichever you think you'll like most, I'd do 2nd. Having said that if MK is your favorite park; it'd be great to get. to see it as much as you want at the end of your trip.

I would do Poly last as I‘d be really disappointed to have to leave it to go elsewhere - anywhere, lol. Even if the room was smaller. (That doesn’t matter to me.)

I like to do a MK resort first and then finish at a quieter resort. I love the Poly but there’s a lot going on over there. One of my favorite splits was Bay Lake Tower followed by Old Key West. After four nights at BLT we were more than ready to relax and unwind in a calmer environment.

We may be there for the 4th of July. Do you think being at Poly on the 4th would make more sense than being at SSR? We would be doing MK On the 4th.

We may be there for the 4th of July. Do you think being at Poly on the 4th would make more sense than being at SSR? We would be doing MK On the 4th.
I think being at a monorail resort when spending time at MK is always a good, convenient option! And since Poly also allows you to walk to the EPCOT monorail, it can be the best location of the monorail resorts.....

I do like staying at one resort. Not a fan of packing to move in and out that being said I would think I would stay at Polynesian first then move to SSR. You will like the one bedroom so I would go small to big for the end of trip.

Good Luck

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter