Southwest Early Bird Checkin

We also fly out of Buffalo and yes, you will still need to wait in line to check in your bags. The line is usually not very long. If you are staying at a Disney resort that participates with resort airline checkin you can check your bags at Disney for the trip home and you will not have to wait in line at the Orlando AP. :goodvibes

Great! Thanks so much!! Just trying to calculate how much time we'll need to get to BUF, cross the canadian/us border (we're driving from Canada) and wait time at the airport to check bags.... Thats great to know about the RAC..I will have to look into it and see if the Poly participates

Thanks!!

Hope someone can help me, we are flying SW for the 1st time ever (RNO to LAS) next month, and their system totally confuses me! I have read/listened to their boarding FAQ and I still don't get it. We do have guaranteed seats right? I don't really care if we sit together/front/back of plane, but I don't understand their system, I'm sure once I actually see it at the airport it will all make sense, but for now, I'm getting a little nervous about flying with them. Can someone try to explain how it actually works and what happens if I don't check in on line, because we will be at the hotel and unable to print boarding passes (or whatever SW calls them) from hotel 24 hrs prior to flight. Just want to be sure that these are actually guaranteed seats on the flight. Thank you anyone who answers!!

Hi everyone i'm new to Southwest and just booked rt airfare with them for September BUF-MCO...I also booked EBCI for both me and DH on both legs of the flight....I get that 36 hrs before the fight we will be assigned our boarding group number....then I can print off our boarding passes....when we get to the airport though do we still need to wait in line at the check-in to check our bags or is there a separate area to just drop your bags without having to wait in line (I know AirCanada and sometimes WestJet have this)?

TIA :lovestruc

Actually, you are checked in 36 hours ahead of time, but you will not be able to actually print the boarding passes until 24 hours before. I tried to see my boarding # and got that message last time. You can check in at the counter, or if your airport has skycaps, you can use them. When we fly, we have both choices for Southwest.

Hope someone can help me, we are flying SW for the 1st time ever (RNO to LAS) next month, and their system totally confuses me! I have read/listened to their boarding FAQ and I still don't get it. We do have guaranteed seats right? I don't really care if we sit together/front/back of plane, but I don't understand their system, I'm sure once I actually see it at the airport it will all make sense, but for now, I'm getting a little nervous about flying with them. Can someone try to explain how it actually works and what happens if I don't check in on line, because we will be at the hotel and unable to print boarding passes (or whatever SW calls them) from hotel 24 hrs prior to flight. Just want to be sure that these are actually guaranteed seats on the flight. Thank you anyone who answers!!

If you bought a ticket, you have a guaranteed seat with the usual possibilities of bumping that all the airlines sometimes end up doing. You get a boarding number which is basically like a number in line to board. There are 3 groups of boarding numbers--A, B, and C. All the A's board first, then the B's, and finally the C's. Within each group, you board in order. So the lower your number, the sooner you get to board. An A22 will board before the A30, but a B1 will board after all the A's have boarded.

If you do not check in 24 hours ahead of time and have not paid the extra $10 each for early-bird check-in, you will be able to get in at the airport. You will then get whatever boarding numbers are left, so you would be more likely to end up at the back of the plane, in middle seats, and separated than those who either paid for early-bird or who checked in right at 24 hours before the flight. You will probably board in the C group, which means all the A and B people will be on the plane already.

SW bumps more passengers than any other airline, partly due to the number of flights they have. They were also fined big bucks recently for improper bumping compensation. You can check in online even if you can't print the pass. In the very least, make sure you are at the airport to check in early (60-90 minutes min.) before your flight. One of the bumping methods is to bump those who arrive later.

I just wanted to add that I have had hotel concierge check me in and print my boarding passes at many different hotels without a problem. If you have a web enabled phone you can also check in using that and just wait to print your boarding passes when you get to the airport. Once you check in is when you are assigned your boarding spot not when the passes are printed. As a side note, I have had high C boarding pass and have yet to be split up from my DH. We were further back in the plane but that didn't really bother me. It does make more sense once you see it. :goodvibes

Thanks so much everyone who replied, I think I get it now! after I read some replies I checked the app's for my itouch and SW has a free app that I can check in with!! I know I will have wireless internet at hotel, so I will check it using the app. (How many hours prior to flight should I do it??) and should I still get to airport 90minutes prior to flight? or once I do this, I can take my time getting there??

Thanks so much everyone who replied, I think I get it now! after I read some replies I checked the app's for my itouch and SW has a free app that I can check in with!! I know I will have wireless internet at hotel, so I will check it using the app. (How many hours prior to flight should I do it??) and should I still get to airport 90minutes prior to flight? or once I do this, I can take my time getting there??

If you haven't paid for early bird checkin then try to check in on line as close to 24 hours prior to your flight as you can. I have not paid for EBCI in the past and I always check in exactly at 24 hours out... I have gotten good spots always A's or low B's. We have always been able to sit together. :goodvibes

It really depends on how busy your airport is. Mine (New Orleans international - MSY) is not a busy airport and I arrive about an hour and a half before the flight...and usually end up sitting around waiting to board the plane.

In my opinion your arrival time at the airport shouldn't be any different than when flying any other airline. Just allow the 'suggested' amount of time for your particular airport. (looks like that's an hour and a half for you?) You'll want to be at the terminal at least a half hour before your flight, so you can line up for boarding during your boarding group (hopefully A or B if you are obtaining your boarding pass 24 hours beforehand)

And thanks for the info on the app. I had NO IDEA! I just added it to my I-phone! :thumbsup2

I plan to fly to Orlando this September with my husband and two small children (4yo and 18 month old baby who will sit in my lap). I really want to sit together but don't care where we're sitting in the plane. I think families with young children can board between the A and B groups. Is this correct? If yes, should we be able to find 3 seats together? Or, should I purchase EBCI to make sure we can sit together?

Thanks in advance for your input!

I plan to fly to Orlando this September with my husband and two small children (4yo and 18 month old baby who will sit in my lap). I really want to sit together but don't care where we're sitting in the plane. I think families with young children can board between the A and B groups. Is this correct? If yes, should we be able to find 3 seats together? Or, should I purchase EBCI to make sure we can sit together?

You can definitely find 3 seats together boarding with family boarding. I actually found 4 seats together pretty close to the front of the plane the last time I family boarded. IMHO, I would not spend the money on EBCI when you are eligible for family boarding.

Should be no problem. Save your money. Also, if you check in at exactly 24 hours ahead you might get in the A's. :goodvibes

I could be wrong, but don't you have to checkin in person, at the airport, when flying with a lap baby?? You will be able to board in between the A and B group, which should get you three seats together, but towards the rear of the plane.

I could be wrong, but don't you have to checkin in person, at the airport, when flying with a lap baby?? You will be able to board in between the A and B group, which should get you three seats together, but towards the rear of the plane.

You are correct. At least I had to the last time I had a lap baby. Be sure to bring the birth certificate of the lap baby. As I mentioned, the last time I family boarded I was able to get right up front. Actually the first two rows. The A group was full too. Guess nobody wanted those seats?

You can still do the boarding passes at the 24 hr mark. Just when you get to the airport you will have to show proof (ie birth certificate) that the baby is under 2. They will give you a special pass or something. At least that was how it was when my then 10mth old was a lap baby back in 2006.

You can still do the boarding passes at the 24 hr mark. Just when you get to the airport you will have to show proof (ie birth certificate) that the baby is under 2. They will give you a special pass or something. At least that was how it was when my then 10mth old was a lap baby back in 2006.

I would suggest calling SW to confirm. There appears to be some conflicting information as I could not check in online last year (2009) when I flew with my lap baby. Everyone else in my party checked in 24 hrs in advance and I could not. I could on the way back since I had already checked in with an agent on the way down.

I would suggest calling SW to confirm. There appears to be some conflicting information as I could not check in online last year (2009) when I flew with my lap baby. Everyone else in my party checked in 24 hrs in advance and I could not. I could on the way back since I had already checked in with an agent on the way down.

I want y'all to know how much against paying the $80 for our fam of four I was before I saw this thread. But, now I see for $80 I have the peace of mind that we probably won't be split up. THAT would be horrific. Kids would be 10 and 12 and I don't know if that's conisdered young enough for family boarding....

I want y'all to know how much against paying the $80 for our fam of four I was before I saw this thread. But, now I see for $80 I have the piece of mine that we probably won't be split up. THAT would be horrific. Kids would be 10 and 12 and I don't know if that's conisdered young enough for family boarding....

Family boarding is age 4 or under.

I want y'all to know how much against paying the $80 for our fam of four I was before I saw this thread. But, now I see for $80 I have the piece of mine that we probably won't be split up. THAT would be horrific. Kids would be 10 and 12 and I don't know if that's conisdered young enough for family boarding....

Keep in mind that the $80 is not actually giving you a seat, it is just a boarding position then you find your seats when you are on the plane. I have yet to be split up from my party even on sold out flights and I have had C passes before. Personally, I would save the $80 and just check in 24 hours in advance and you will be fine - especially if you don't mind sitting toward the back of the plane. In my case above , I was flying with a lap baby. ( a child under age 2 without a ticket) They require proof of age and that the birth parents are there before you can board. if you have a web enabled phone you can check in that way as well. Guest Services in the parks as well as the concierge at the hotel will also check you in.

For our family we never pay the extra $10 when flying out......and going home we've only done it once when we knew we'd be in a park and didn't have phones we could use to check in on....yesterday I flew from Islip to Orlando...checked in right at the 24hr mark...and got A36....the person holding A34 had paid the extra $10

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter