Soarin' is done!

Yeah I know that. The issue is opening with the old film. It makes no sense to reopen on June 1st, play the old film for two weeks, then switch to the new reel on the 17th if they can go live today.

That's a pointless exercise. Either open early and win a few "Disney came in ahead of schedule shocker" points, or just leave the doors closed and the CMs stuck on a few more 32 hour weeks until the 17th.
But they can't open with the new film because of Shanghai. Shanghai has exclusive rights to open that new film first. Why keep an attraction closed when they can open it even if it's the old film?

But they can't open with the new film because of Shanghai. Shanghai has exclusive rights to open that new film first. Why keep an attraction closed when they can open it even if it's the old film?

Again, I know that. You know I know that. If the CM that started this whole deal is correct, Disney have three choices:

1) Open today with the digital Soarin over California, then switch six weeks later.
2) Open June 1st with the digital Soarin over California, then switch two weeks later.
3) Just re-open on the 17th of June with the all-new reel.

Only one the two options above makes no sense, and it isn't option #3.

Again, I know that. You know I know that. If the CM that started this whole deal is correct, Disney have three choices:

1) Open today with the digital Soarin over California, then switch six weeks later.
2) Open June 1st with the digital Soarin over California, then switch two weeks later.
3) Just re-open on the 17th of June with the all-new reel.

Only one the two options above makes no sense, and it isn't option #3.
Ok I am confused. Yes I agree with those options but I'm not understanding your point here.

The new projectors are digital so yes its that easy. The films can be switched overnight.

It's not the film. It's the calibrating of the gliders to match the film and the smells to be discharged. CMs were already being lined up to test the new film with the glider movements.

They have known since they shut the thing down that they couldn't open the new film until after Shanghai so nothing about that is a surprise or new. And there should be no guest expecting it before Shanghai. It just makes no sense to adjust everything to the old, then have to adjust and test everything back to the new.

Can't say it won't happen as Disney has proven themselves quite capable of wasted money and energy but maybe they should put all efforts on getting Frozenland open .........

AND let's not forget that RoL was ready too ... until it wasn't.

It's not the film. It's the calibrating of the gliders to match the film and the smells to be discharged. CMs were already being lined up to test the new film with the glider movements.

They have known since they shut the thing down that they couldn't open the new film until after Shanghai so nothing about that is a surprise or new. And there should be no guest expecting it before Shanghai. It just makes no sense to adjust everything to the old, then have to adjust and test everything back to the new.

Can't say it won't happen as Disney has proven themselves quite capable of wasted money and energy but maybe they should put all efforts on getting Frozenland open .........

AND let's not forget that RoL was ready too ... until it wasn't.
Disneyland has been doing it. They have been testing the new film there at night and then running the old film during the day for guests. I can't see why they couldn't do that in Epcot.

I know this is the case, but I have never understood why. Like, are there more than...7 people in the world that would go to Shanghai to see the new Soarin' a day early or even 3 months early? Why would it matter if it opened at WDW first?

It's what the Shanghai government wants. It's like "HaHa we got it first!"

I wish Disney would not do business with countries like China personally, and certainly not giving them leverage to do things like that. Not that it's a big deal to wait a little while for the new film (I'm actually kind of glad I might get to see the old film in digital form) but these foreign parks seem to do the domestic parks way too much harm, and for what? If they want to build a foreign park, build it in Brazil to keep the crowds down at WDW.

I wish Disney would not do business with countries like China personally, and certainly not giving them leverage to do things like that. Not that it's a big deal to wait a little while for the new film (I'm actually kind of glad I might get to see the old film in digital form) but these foreign parks seem to do the domestic parks way too much harm, and for what? If they want to build a foreign park, build it in Brazil to keep the crowds down at WDW.

China paid for it. If China hadn't stumped up the cash, most likely the old footage would be gearing up to celebrate its quarter century by the time Disney felt the need to replace it.

The digital changeover should be fairly easy. Two weeks, six weeks, it doesn't matter. They'll open Soarin' again as soon as they want to.

I'm not sure why Shanghai is worried about exclusive rights to run this film, or really exclusive anything. Of all of the existing Disney markets, people don't usually cross-shop WDW and mainland China for their next vacation destination.

I'm not sure why Shanghai is worried about exclusive rights to run this film, or really exclusive anything. Of all of the existing Disney markets, people don't usually cross-shop WDW and mainland China for their next vacation destination.

Whether it's Shanghai or Disney, it makes a better headline and for better marketing to debut something new at the new park.
You only need a day of exclusivity to do that marketing.

I understand. It's basically just for bragging right to say hey we're better than you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter