So, do you nap?

I thought that's what the American Experience and Hall of Presidents were for?

:rotfl:I've been known to catch a few winks during the AE show.

Naps are a necessity for us but we have a 10month old. :)

We nap, too. Even during our Winter trips. I tried a few days of commando touring, and the kids hit the wall about 2pm. Now we always open the parks, head back for a nap (will swim when it's warm enough!), early dinner and back to the park for a ride or 2 and the closing show. Depending on park hours, sometimes we'll eat our big meal as a late lunch then grab a quick snack later, or we'll reverse it and eat our big meal for dinner after the park closes.

Heck, who doesn't need a nap just to deal with MK at closing?

DS8 and DD5 are always tired, too. I've noticed that DS8 gets tired much more quickly now that he's hoofing it (DD gets the stroller now!) I need a nap, too! If I didn't have children I'd still come back for a rest. The parks are too crowded for me midday.

But I may have to check out AE and HoP since so many recommend it.... :rolleyes1

Well, I wouldn't call it a nap, because we don't necessarily go to bed or sleep, but we DO take a big break in the middle of the day and go back to the resort. It makes a HUGE difference in how well we handle the trip. In fact, our ADRs kind of dictate when we take our break too. If we have a TS reservation for the evening, we go back to the villa so we can have a couple of hours at least before needing to get to the restaurant. We prefer early dinner times, so that usually means we head back to the villa around 2, and leave again around 4:30-5:00 to get to our ADR. Then we often hit the evening parks again. We never do DDP unless it is just the 2 of us, so our routine is to do Signature restaurants every other day, and just get by with CS the day between. There are some wonderful CS places that offer nearly complete meals, so it works out great. We never eat a CS meal on the days we do a signature, so that also works well. That's how we keep the DDP from being too much food also.

Only if DH comes along! It drives me nuts to lose the park time, but he likes to snooze. That is why I only bring him once every 3 or 4 years!
I don't mind a short break, but there is no way I could sleep with all of those rides minutes away!

We are going to try this on our summer trip. I've never went bqck to the resort mid-day. Maybe just a different park. But we are new owners to DVC and going during the summer.(never did this either) So on our next trip we plan on going back to the resort for a bit. Not sure how this will work for me. I'm already decided what I'll do during the down time. LOL Willing to give it a try. :)

Just the reason i look forward to the Carousel of Progress on a hot afternoon.:thumbsup2

I look forward to going back to studio if only to put on a fresh pair of socks & a clean t-shirt before the evening's festivities begin.

Next trip @ family's urging we'res going primarily with late EMH, imagine that -- sleeping in @ WDW:cheer2: . We may even hit the pool before we go to the parks:idea:

We almost always try and head back to the room around 2pm for a quick nap, a short swim, a little tv, a shower, AC, a snack and relaxing for an hour or so, just enough to recharg for the evenings activities. Definitely one of the best parts of the day.

And the best part of an afternoon break -- maybe a jacuzzi treat for my tired feet -- and a change of shoes for the evening :cloud9:

Yes!!! We always take a mid-day break. That time is for relaxing at the resort and getting our kids to actually take a nap espcecially for the 2yo. The 6yo protests but always falls asleep in an eye wink. That way we can stay up for Illuminations, WiSHES etc. After our nap we usually swim before heading back to the parks or not and stay and swim some more at the resort. We have fish for kids who will not get out of the pool!!!!

It depends a lot on the obvious
1. Weather (hot or not)
2. Crowds
3. How early/late you plan to stay at the parks/venues

If its hot, crowded and you start when the parks open, a nap or short break mid afternoon with a shower and lite lunch is a life saver. It also makes the evening meal more enjoyable.

We hit the whichever park opens up early, stay till about 11 or 12. After that we head back to the room for a nap or to hang out by the pool. Then later in the day we head back to a park for dinner. We have a DS3 and DD newborn so the naps are a must!

I thought that's what the American Experience and Hall of Presidents were for?
:rotfl2:

So glad I'm not the only one - Ellen's Universe of Energy (or whatever it's called now) is also great for a quick power nap LOL

I usually "volunteer" to sit/nap in the room with our 2 year old daughter while my wife takes the older two (8 & 6) to the pool. I get a couple of hours to sleep and also score points for "helping with the little one." :woohoo:
We do the opposite. I take DD5-going-on-25 to the pool while decrepit old DW naps. She's happy, we're happy -- life is good!

There's nothing like a good nap to rejuvenate during the day. I say go for it!!:faint:

We found that if we DIDN'T take the break/nap/chill out in the room that at least ONE of the girls would fall asleep in some attraction between about 3 and 4. One time, the 5 yo even fell asleep on Pirates, and the 8 yo in the Haunted Mansion if you can believe it. It was very difficult trying to get them out/off the ride as they were SOOO excited about being woken up. It wasn't like we were "commando-ing", either. They were zipping along :hyper: :moped: and then CRASH.

I felt really bad :guilty: so now we take a mandatory "time out" during the day. The kids (and us, too) usually end up snoozing at least a bit, and I found I don't get that "fried" feeling at the end of the day on my face, arms or legs from the sun/sweat/etc. I actually can get out of bed the next day without groaning.

Count us in on the nap!:thumbsup2

I don't even nap at home. I just sleep in or have a short day. But I did discover the joy of resort chill-out sessions my last trip. They tend to work best around mid-day when the sun is the hottest and the pool is calling to me.

Unfortunately having the desire to go back out at night to the parks is an issue for me. Usually I'm just wanting an early dinner and bedtime.

We ususally take our breaks when we do our ADR's. It seems to work out best. Of course, the norm for us is 3-4 day trips. I still look forward to my first week WDW vacation. This year we are doing 4 days at parks and 3 on DCL.

I agree on the afternoon cool-down break during the summer, whether you nap or not. As a teacher and mom who has been taking her own children for close to twenty years now, I have seen first hand the too hard pushed child who melts late afternoons in the park because it's hot, they're tired, and WDW is so exciting we forget that that can be exhausting. As a grownup, I began to appreciate sitting by the pool for a while, going up to the room, getting a relaxing shower or bath, and just kicking back for a couple of hours while my children napped. It is a vacation after all, even if you are at the happiest place on earth.:cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter