Smoking on veranda...

Yes, but my fear would be that concession might be something minor and then I would have to be that angry cruiser at GS demanding something better. Not my idea of vacation.

Yeah, that's where I was going in my head. What would be objectively "good enough" to compensate any and all guests in this situation? Some people would be fine with a gift basket. Some would demand another cruise for free.

I, too, never want to be "that" guest at GS, but the same time, if the value of your cruise was diminished due to DCL's inability to rein in a (literally) unruly guest, who should bear the financial brunt of that situation?

Is that "entitled" thinking on the same level as that of the verandah-smoking guest? I don't know.

If a person continues to disobey rules, no matter what the rule is, what are the consequences? I would think that DCL would not simply continue to clean and charge. I would think there are other ways to deal with rule breakers, like asking them to leave the ship.

If a person continues to disobey rules, no matter what the rule is, what are the consequences? I would think that DCL would not simply continue to clean and charge. I would think there are other ways to deal with rule breakers, like asking them to leave the ship.

Kick them off the ship in the middle of the cruise? Make them get off in, say, Tortola and not let them back on?

Kick them off the ship in the middle of the cruise? Make them get off in, say, Tortola and not let them back on?
Not people who do it and stop when they're told, but people who are consistently breaking ship rules with no regard for the staff and other passengers. That's not most people on a ship. That's one or two belligerent people that are out to make trouble. I expect it happens from time to time.

My point was to pp's question about someone who decides to ignore the rules, rack up multiple cleaning fees with the hope of having them reversed or not caring that they have to pay them. Removing someone like that might be the last resort.

This is the one and only reason we have stopped getting rooms with a veranda. It ruins the veranda. We had it happen too many times, I got tired of complaining. I don't want to spend an expensive vacation complaining to DCL about other guests. Problem solved with no veranda. It's time DCL went smoke-free.

Yes, it is.

We just got back yesterday from our 5th Concierge cruise. On Day 1 while still in Port we were sitting on the veranda reading the Navigator. Wait...what's that smell? On the veranda next to us there were multiple smokers! I nicely told them that smoking was not allowed on the veranda. No reply just continued to smoke. Now I'm ticked so I found the SR Host and He told them not to smoke and showed them the smoking area 1 flight up. Settled back on the veranda and I hear a voice loudly calling me a "B". I rarely get upset and tried to ignore it but DH is a retired Marine and he was not happy. Next step was to talk to Concierge Host. He talked to the smokers and we didn't have an issue after that. I felt badly for the child that was with them. I agree we all paid for our right to enjoy a nice vacation but the rule is there for a reason!

Good for you and your husband. Everyone pays a lot for their cruise. Just as anyone wants the right to smoke, I have the right to not inhale your smoke. We have had mixed luck with the verandas and smoke coming from them. It can put a damper on your cruise. Thank goodness for the concierge host. I wish Guest Services would also put their foot down and pay the parties who refuse to follow the rules a personal visit.

We used to have a rule at the hotel I worked for that if a guest complained about noise from a particular room more than once they guests making the noise had to pay for the complaining guests' room. If you make them aware of that at the first complaint it makes a second complaint less likely.

We used to have a rule at the hotel I worked for that if a guest complained about noise from a particular room more than once they guests making the noise had to pay for the complaining guests' room. If you make them aware of that at the first complaint it makes a second complaint less likely.

I WOULD LOVE THAT! Second complaint and you have to pay for my verandah. It would never fly with Disney, but what a great idea!

At what point does (or should) DCL offer some sort of concession to the guests/staterooms impacted by the smoking? What should those concessions be? Free Palo/Remy? Extra OBC? Move them to a different location in a stateroom of the same category or higher? Refund a portion of their fare attributable to the balcony? Offer a hefty discount on a future cruise?

Good question... some people just don't like smoke, some don't want their children to have to breathe it. For me, I am allergic to smoke - it triggers migraines so a gift basket or refund would not cut it. I would need to be moved ideally but I know thats not always an option... wouldn't it be nice if people were just kind to each other? :sad2:

We witnessed an officer, a room host and a guest having a heated discussion regarding smoking a few cabins from us. I would go straight to guest relations to discuss with someone higher up. I would not put the room host into that situation. I'm allergic, so would not hesitate to report it.

Not sure Disney can do much except go completely smoke free. I can remember the days when smoking on verandah was ok, left complaint every cruise. Most cruises we have been on no issue, no but every once in awhile it has happened. If my next door cabin mate said to F myself I am not sure how I would deal with it.

We witnessed an officer, a room host and a guest having a heated discussion regarding smoking a few cabins from us. I would go straight to guest relations to discuss with someone higher up. I would not put the room host into that situation. I'm allergic, so would not hesitate to report it.

Could that have been the room host finding evidence of smoking and getting the officer involved to deal with the guest?

Not sure Disney can do much except go completely smoke free. I can remember the days when smoking on verandah was ok, left complaint every cruise. Most cruises we have been on no issue, no but every once in awhile it has happened. If my next door cabin mate said to F myself I am not sure how I would deal with it.

Judging by your avatar, throw them overboard? :teeth:

I'm pretty sure if you call guest services they are just going to send the room host anyway.

I'm pretty sure if you call guest services they are just going to send the room host anyway.

Not sure about that. We just returned this weekend from our cruise. Every night around 2:00am there was a loud room in our cabin which woke us up. I assumed it was something above us since we were under the promonade lounge. We mentioned to a cm at breakfast who as doing feedback about our stay and to our surprise an officer showed up at our door apologizing and said they were looking into it. We didn't really complained, we were just concerned. The next night he showed up and said other guest complained about it too. He apologized and after dinner we came back to a nice card telling us there would be a credit on our account because the issue couldn't be resolved. I was pleased with the response.

We witnessed an officer, a room host and a guest having a heated discussion regarding smoking a few cabins from us.

I'm curious to learn more about that conversation. I'm guessing the guest got very belligerent because they were busted?

I'm curious to learn more about that conversation. I'm guessing the guest got very belligerent because they were busted?

I read something on another site regarding a similar topic and a few people were commenting that just because it's a Disney cruise don't think you aren't going to have your share of drunk passengers. So it can happen.

I read something on another site regarding a similar topic and a few people were commenting that just because it's a Disney cruise don't think you aren't going to have your share of drunk passengers. So it can happen.

Well, drunkeness is certainly a possibility. However, I was thinking more about those guilty people who, when cornered, get aggressively indignant, almost as if they think doing so bolsters their tissue-paper-thin claims of innocence.

More likely ban them from the cruise line. There was an incident in 2015 involving a disrespectful guest with actions toward me, and I were told something had happened previously involving the same guest...you can guess what we were told happened.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter