Signs of inflation

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a bundle for homeowners and auto insurance.
Our bill went up over $1,800 over the past two years.
We called a few places for estimates.
AAA got back to us very quickly and our price is back to where it was 2 years ago.

My son loves donuts from our grocery store and at the start of Covid they were exactly a dollar even (with tax) which made them an easy marker for watching inflation. During the “Great Foodflation” period from around 2022 - early 2023, my husband and I would text back and forth about how much the donut had gone up that week - for awhile it was a few cents every other week or so. Finally in early 2023 they stopped at 1.29, so just shy of 30% inflation! After that I think the store just couldn’t sustainably raise prices anymore but they did go to other measures like charging for plastic bags.

It was kind of a fun little experiment when applied to a one dollar donut, much less so when applied to the entire grocery bill.

We were coming home from a 2 week road trip this weekend and made a quick stop at a service center in Conn after just passing through NY.
I was surprised that the food vendors did not have any lines and quickly placed an order for Mcdonalds, figuring it must be cheaper than Paneras.
I ordered 2 egg mcmuffins, 2 large coffees and swiped my card.
I checked my receipt later.. $24. 59!!!
I was so mad at myself for being lazy about watching the register.
Now I know why there were no lines for food, everyone else was paying attention!

MCD 123 menu has nothing lower than 2.?? any burger is 3.?? on the menu.
TP a Dollar a roll is a good deal in a multi pack. A single roll 2 Bucks in a discount supermarket Imagine.....
My house insurance went up 20% last year all I called the same... With the same story they could not increase prices during COVID so they are making up for the prior losses.
Groceries brings new meaning to less is more.

MCD 123 menu has nothing lower than 2.?? any burger is 3.?? on the menu.
TP a Dollar a roll is a good deal in a multi pack. A single roll 2 Bucks in a discount supermarket Imagine.....
My house insurance went up 20% last year all I called the same... With the same story they could not increase prices during COVID so they are making up for the prior losses.
Groceries brings new meaning to less is more.

McD's you really need to use the app for any decent prices/rewards etc. Their price isn't worth it even then, there's better ff where I am for less.

Regular prices for some stuff is still bad but a lot of what I buy I just wait until it's on sale and stock up. Milk is probably the worst here but that's so regional. It's always been more here than other parts of the country.

Some sale prices are still high but a lot have almost gone back to what they were before.

Our homeowner's insurance went up an insane amount (I believe 50%) last year but it was with Progressive and not a result of us just Progressive (and many other insurance companies) taking high increases. We switched to Openly with a lot more coverage and a good amount less in cost. Our insurance went up this renewal I think $150 but it was also for 126K more coverage than last years...an inflation guard is on the policy (as I want) and that is responsible for the bulk of the monetary increase. However, our insurance agent advises Openly is still the best competitive rates in our area.

We've kept our autos with Progressive but still maintain a cross product discount as we have the policies with the same agent.

We've seen pricing in Vegas get even higher than it already was for food when we go for our short trips. Chicken and waffles now runs ya $28 it appears which I found way overpriced. Drinks are about $20-$25 though you can still find ones under that.

We have a bundle for homeowners and auto insurance.
Our bill went up over $1,800 over the past two years.
We called a few places for estimates.
AAA got back to us very quickly and our price is back to where it was 2 years ago.
This right here. Mine went up pretty high this year. But you just have to shop around.

Prices in the store make no sense. They go up and down, not by a few cents, but often by a dollar or more. Avocados were 2 for $5 last month. They are 50 cents each this week.
As for insurance, just got the renewal for one of my cars. I just checked, premium actually went down $62 for the year.

We were coming home from a 2 week road trip this weekend and made a quick stop at a service center in Conn after just passing through NY.
I was surprised that the food vendors did not have any lines and quickly placed an order for Mcdonalds, figuring it must be cheaper than Paneras.
I ordered 2 egg mcmuffins, 2 large coffees and swiped my card.
I checked my receipt later.. $24. 59!!!
I was so mad at myself for being lazy about watching the register.
Now I know why there were no lines for food, everyone else was paying attention!
It didn’t happen to be off I-95 in Darien did it? Home of the $18 Big Mac combo. Your story reminded me of this article…

One of my coworkers was on the phone with his insurance company today and they told him most insurance is going up to cover their loses elsewhere in the country.

I do not remember what the product was. you know that trick where they do not raise the price but reduce the quantity. This product, grocery, reduced from 1.5 oz to 1.25 oz. The sneaky part. it was a 40% increase.

One of my coworkers was on the phone with his insurance company today and they told him most insurance is going up to cover their loses elsewhere in the country.

Yep. My son & DIL work for different national insurance companies. He had gotten a good profit sharing bonus for 13 of the 14 years he’s worked there but got no profit sharing this year. Natural disasters are taking a huge toll on the company‘s finances. DIL tells me the same for the company she works for.

As for fast food, those prices have gotten crazy. My husband & I got burgers & fries last week, it was $30 for 2 burgers, a small & a large fry. There was a huge push for “livable wages” for fast food workers around here even before the pandemic. Add in pandemic staffing shortages & hourly wages for these jobs have increased significantly. I’m sure that’s playing a big part in price increases for those places. We used to get take out once a week & would go out to eat once a week also. We’re both retired now so I’m cooking at home more than I ever have. We rarely get fast food anymore. If we get take out it’s pizza & wings maybe twice a month. It’s $50 for a large pepperoni pizza & 10 wings. I pick it up, so that’s no delivery charge. Less than 2 years ago it was $38.

Last edited:
About this time last year there was a multi page debate about inflation…_

the bottom line is everything in our lives is trucked to us, planted, grown, packaged with diesel fuel….

Trucking companies are going out of business, because they can’t afford fuel, which only drive the cost of everything else higher

I think things are going to get worst before they get better,

we are all in for a bumpy ride

That's what insurance is, just a pool of money. You will always have this structure where insurance companies spread risk out and they also spread out their losses. The term used at the insurance company I worked for (and grew up in) was CAT-smoothed meaning profit after catastrophe losses were accounted for. They budget in X amount per year of CAT losses (I think one year was something like $800 million at the insurance company I worked for). Superstorm Sandy huge impact, so was Joplin tornado, CA & CO wildfires, TX hurricanes, etc.

An insurance company can't really exist long if they don't spread their risk out. This is also why you'll have over time insurance companies re-evaluate their ability to service a location be it laws in place or losses.

I do not remember what the product was. you know that trick where they do not raise the price but reduce the quantity. This product, grocery, reduced from 1.5 oz to 1.25 oz. The sneaky part. it was a 40% increase.
Shrinkflation? Is that the phrase you were looking for?

I'm still salty over Costco toilet paper reducing in the number of sheets you get but the cost went up :sad2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter