Signs of inflation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eventually, people will stop eating at these places then there won't be any jobs. I'm pretty much there.
100% agree. I haven't bought a thing from a fast food place since 2019 - I love the junk stuff as much as anyone for a splurge, but I won't pay their ridiculous prices. I use the money saved to make healthier choices at the supermarket - lean meats, sockeye salmon, fresh produce. Then splurge with occasional takeout from a mom and pop restaurant.

Reducing America's consumption of fast food would be a good thing.

100% agree. I haven't bought a thing from a fast food place since 2019 - I love the junk stuff as much as anyone for a splurge, but I won't pay their ridiculous prices. I use the money saved to make healthier choices at the supermarket - lean meats, sockeye salmon, fresh produce. Then splurge with occasional takeout from a mom and pop restaurant.

Same- I quit fast food places once my kids grew up, now it's the same price to grab a quick meal from a local place to go,and the food actually tastes GOOD!

Not good for the economy though. There are a wide variety of fast food type places and not all of them serve unhealthy food. Fast food is not necessarily McDonald's and Burger King.

Reactions: shh

Wow, in 2019 everyone still had Dollar Menus when you could get a basic cheese burger for less than a dollar, at at Burger King you could get a double cheese burger for $1.25. That is our go to place for when we go wine tasting, and I went this week and that double cheese burger is now $2.50.

i'm at the point in the year where i have 4 insurance policies renewing-

umbrella
home owners
auto
atv.

got umbrell renewal today-decreased by 11 cents per year :banana: i thought it might increase due to a rash of lawsuits in our region wherein property owners had massive fire losses that were attributable to neighboring private property owners being neglegent.

1 down/3 to go.
My LTC policy went up 25% last year. First price increase in the nearly 20 years I've had it. It better not go up again this year. At least last year they gave me six months notice of the rate hike.

Not good for the economy though. There are a wide variety of fast food type places and not all of them serve unhealthy food. Fast food is not necessarily McDonald's and Burger King.
Definitely possible to get healthy fare at most fast food places (although the temptations require willpower to resist!) But I also believe it's much better for the economy and people's quality of life to support locally-owned small businesses over the chains. Small business profits are reinvested much more heavily in the local community compared to chains, which divert a big part of their profits back to corporate.

Just paid $3.02 for a plain hamburger at McDonald's (NYS)
It was just a quick pickup since I had to run errands and never made it to the grocery store. That's the next stop later today.

Also just paid $3.87/gal for my regular gas. That's the credit price.

Definitely possible to get healthy fare at most fast food places (although the temptations require willpower to resist!) But I also believe it's much better for the economy and people's quality of life to support locally-owned small businesses over the chains. Small business profits are reinvested much more heavily in the local community compared to chains, which divert a big part of their profits back to corporate.
In a lot of cities mine included locally owned fast food options are few and far between.

In a lot of cities mine included locally owned fast food options are few and far between.
We are lucky to have a few. However, I believe all our McDonalds, Burger Kings, etc are franchises so technically they are locally owned too. The owners kids go to our schools, play in our sports leagues and the parents sponsor events there.

Wow, in 2019 everyone still had Dollar Menus when you could get a basic cheese burger for less than a dollar, at at Burger King you could get a double cheese burger for $1.25. That is our go to place for when we go wine tasting, and I went this week and that double cheese burger is now $2.50.
It is cheaper to goto Red Robin and sit down have a hamburger, fries, and a coke than it is to get one at Mcicky

It is cheaper to goto Red Robin and sit down have a hamburger, fries, and a coke than it is to get one at Mcicky
Not here. The cheapest burger here at Red Robin is $13.49, fries are $1.99 and a coke is $2.69. .
A Quarter Pounder with cheese, fries and a coke are $12.69 at McDonalds

Not here. The cheapest burger here at Red Robin is $13.49, fries are $1.99 and a coke is $2.69. .
A Quarter Pounder with cheese, fries and a coke are $12.69 at McDonalds
Weird I get my entire meal for that....
Fried are included.... bottomless fries at that, or several healthy options .... not bottomless

"Value" meal at the golden arches is more

Last edited:
Weird I get my entire meal for that....
Fried are included.... bottomless fries at that, or several healthy options .... not bottomless

"Value" meal at the golden arches is more
The Red Robin here went belly up, so haven't been to one in years. I checked the prices on their website.

The fast food industry has been hit hard by the labor shortages. Taco Bell closest to where I live closes at 6 pm, after being 24 hours for decades, because they can't find people to work for them. Here in California our Governor just signed a bill into law to make the minimum wage for Fast Food workers $20 an hour. That may sound like a lot of money for unskilled labor but McDonalds here is already paying $23 an hour training wage, jumping to $25 an hour after two months.
I get the idea of paying living wages, but some jobs are designed to be filled by High School students and Senior citizens looking for a little extra money and something to do and thus would not pay a living wage.
THIS is why you paid $2.29 for hash browns.
Posts like this show what’s wrong with America.

I use to work for somebody who did the accounting for several hundred McD’s, mostly in Southern California. These restaurants generally generated about $300K-$450K in real income for the owner. Some did better, some did worse. Most operators own multiple restaurants and are hands off. In other words.. it’s basically an annuity for them. In case you didn’t know… not just anybody can buy a McD’s. You had to get “in” buy buying years ago, inheriting or knowing the right person.

One operator owned numerous restaurants, lived in an oceanfront home in a very wealthy Orange County community, and constantly complained that Big Macs should cost $15 because she wasn’t making enough money. Oh, did I mention she had never even been in one of her restaurants? Or that she was officially a Florida resident - despite having not even visited there in years - and through the magic of shareholder payroll, paid virtually no CA income tax? Poor her!!!

Giving a raise to the people actually making her money would barely make a dent in her lifestyle, yet they are the ones guilty for raising the price of your hashbrown!

I use to work for somebody who did the accounting for several hundred McD’s, mostly in Southern California. These restaurants generally generated about $300K-$450K in real income for the owner. Some did better, some did worse. Most operators own multiple restaurants and are hands off. In other words.. it’s basically an annuity for them. In case you didn’t know… not just anybody can buy a McD’s. You had to get “in” buy buying years ago, inheriting or knowing the right person.

One operator owned numerous restaurants, lived in an oceanfront home in a very wealthy Orange County community, and constantly complained that Big Macs should cost $15 because she wasn’t making enough money. Oh, did I mention she had never even been in one of her restaurants? Or that she was officially a Florida resident - despite having not even visited there in years - and through the magic of shareholder payroll, paid virtually no CA income tax? Poor her!!!

Giving a raise to the people actually making her money would barely make a dent in her lifestyle, yet they are the ones guilty for raising the price of your hashbrown!
My dad had a chance to buy into a partnership for one of the first McDonalds back in about 1964. Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

There is a point when it is more advantageous to the owner to close his or her business and invest the money than it is too run the business…

For every job there is a pay scale, paying outside of that scale is bad…. To little pay and you only get the people who don’t want to work, put much and you go broke…..

It doesn’t matter what the owner could pay, (s)he could just as easily terminate the employee and hire someone willing to work for what the pay scale pays…

If you want someone working at McDonald’s earning 20 plus dollars per hour plan on paying 20 plus dollars for a Big Mac meal.

Think I’m wrong ?

Look at the American auto industry!
It is drowning under the weight of its unions.

You want to make real money, get an education, in a viable field, learn a trade, or do both and invent things….

There is a reason “you want fries with that” is the punchline of many jokes

But I promise you the whole “I need a raise and you can afford it” crap, should be a one way ticket to the unemployment line.

That’s whats wrong with this country people put their un calloused hands outs….rather then getting them dirty or using there brain

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter