Should I go SOLO?

jennib5426

DIS Veteran
I have a WDW trip planned 4/6-4/10 with my DH. He has decided to go fishing instead. :guilty: I have been to WDW over 20 times but never by myself. I got a great rate at POP and hate to give it up.
Should I go Solo?
Any advise would be great.

uhm - yes, go solo. I was terrified to go solo the first time because I thought that I needed others around to have a good time. I soon realized that I had MORE fun by myself than I did as a group. I would recommend solo to anyone. I felt safe and had a blast.
Jo

I went solo to DL last year and had a ball by myself. I had fun talking to people they'd pair me up with on rides. Also for a number of attractions, they had a single rider line... Sometimes it was just getting on the fastpass line and other times they'd have you cue up at the exit for the next solo available seat.

jennib5426 said:
I have a WDW trip planned 4/6-4/10 with my DH. He has decided to go fishing instead. :guilty: I have been to WDW over 20 times but never by myself. I got a great rate at POP and hate to give it up.
Should I go Solo?
Any advise would be great.

Definitely - DO IT!!! I went solo in November; stayed at POP; had a blast!! I never felt *alone* or lonely. Did what I wanted, when I wanted...... :D

Going solo rocks~! Have fun, don't be nervous, it's great fun! The CM are attentive, the resorts are the best, and you can do the single rider lines! Have fun!!!! I always do the solo trips and they're the best! :cool1:

Another one who recommends going solo here. Also, what I do while I'm there is to make sure I do a few of the things that I know DH isn't crazy about-Dumbo, IASW, Triceratop Spin, TTA, etc. That way the solo trip really "helps" both of us. But I agree with everyone else here-solo trips are terrific!

I'll definitely agree with the solo trip. I went in Sept and it was wonderful! Take the opportunity and go!

when i was in college i did the disney college program for four months and spent all of my days off meandering blissfully around the parks alone...i loved it! sometimes CMs would say "...just one?" when i got to the front of the line at an attraction, but i learned to gleefully reply "yes, just one!!!" and not let it get to me becos i was at DISNEYWORLD! you can rest when you please, eat where you want, go on what rides you want, it's great. i brought a book in my backpack to read when stuck on line for 45 minutes (i swear i read half of "Catch 22" in the que for Splash Mountain) and a great way to relax - i'm not kidding - is to hop on the Tomorrowland Transit Authority (if it's not busy they'll let you stay on as long as you like) and write postcards to friends back home while gliding through tomorrowland. another thing i enjoyed doing while walking through the parks alone was bringing a small cassette recorder and taping the sounds of the crowds and parades at the parks and sending them back home to my then-BF, it made him feel like he'd been there with me (well, not quite. but he appreciated the thought)

You should absolutely go. Last June I went by myself for the first time and had a really great time. I did what I wanted to do, when I wanted to do it. The only time I got a little lonely was when I had to eat. Normally when you go with people you tend to go to restaurants and character eateries. I wound up doing the quick grab and go. Other then that it was fun. I would definately do it again.

Just out of curiosity ... when you worked in the parks did you like it? I have always thought about moving to Florida and working there. I just figured I would ask. Any advice you could give would be helpful for me to take the plunge! Thanks.

Philadisney said:
when i was in college i did the disney college program for four months and spent all of my days off meandering blissfully around the parks alone...i loved it! sometimes CMs would say "...just one?" when i got to the front of the line at an attraction, but i learned to gleefully reply "yes, just one!!!" and not let it get to me becos i was at DISNEYWORLD! you can rest when you please, eat where you want, go on what rides you want, it's great. i brought a book in my backpack to read when stuck on line for 45 minutes (i swear i read half of "Catch 22" in the que for Splash Mountain) and a great way to relax - i'm not kidding - is to hop on the Tomorrowland Transit Authority (if it's not busy they'll let you stay on as long as you like) and write postcards to friends back home while gliding through tomorrowland. another thing i enjoyed doing while walking through the parks alone was bringing a small cassette recorder and taping the sounds of the crowds and parades at the parks and sending them back home to my then-BF, it made him feel like he'd been there with me (well, not quite. but he appreciated the thought)

cinderkellee said:
Just out of curiosity ... when you worked in the parks did you like it? I have always thought about moving to Florida and working there. I just figured I would ask. Any advice you could give would be helpful for me to take the plunge! Thanks.

i LOVED it. i worked at Epcot in Special Events and also dabbled in food service & greeting. i have been kicking around the idea of moving there permanently....but probably won't do it because 1) too far from the family and 2) with that job, i was in no way making enough to live on. i lived in college program housing which was $68 a week (about a third of what i pay now in rent) and had to shop at wal-mart. i eventually decided to move back to philly where i can make 2x as much income and then use that money to vacation in disneyworld.
but you know what? not a day goes by that i don't wish i was still there. maybe someday i will move to orlando and work at the parks for a little while, while trying to get a more secure (parks mostly hire seasonal workers - obviously the don't need the same amount of CMs in January that they do in July) job at casting or something. we shall see.
if you can afford to go down there for a bit, why not try to get a seasonal job for a few months? i know a man who is in his fifties and has an office job in the northeast, but every year he takes a couple weeks off to go to WDW and sell ice cream! i think it's definately worth a try if you've been thinking about it! (warning though - when i went, you didn't get to pick what you worked in. i lucked out and got an awesome job. my friend did not and ended up flipping burgers at pinocchio's village haus for seven months. a mcdonalds is a mcdonalds, no matter where it is.)

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. :wave:
I booked my plane ticket yesterday and I can't wait until April to be in the world solo!!!

:cool1: POP here I come!!!

Going solo for this trip may seem a bit daunting, but just go for it.

You'll only be away for a few days so you won't have too much time to miss hubby. And just think about all that shopping you can do. :cool1: :cool1:

Maureen4200040

Congratulations on booking your first solo trip!

You'll thoroughly enjoy yourself. You can get up early for park opening or sleep in. Your choice. Have a wonderful meal or graze throughout the day. Your choice. Explore the clubs at PI or not. Your choice.

You get the idea!

Traveling with others is wonderful, but solo trips are a time to do what you want to do, when you want to do it without comments from the peanut gallery! :)

My response is always... Beware.. Solo travel can become an addiction!! :rolleyes: I know it has with me.. .no excuses now as to waiting to go to Disney.. when the urge strikes.. I just hop online and start booking!! :cool1:

Have Fun!! Any questions.. just ask!

Kathy :wave:

Absolutely! :) Going to WDW solo allows you to tour the parks at your own pace. You don't have to worry about another person being tired, hungry, bored, etc. when you're not. Going solo is well worth it - have fun!

I wouldnt think twice about going by myself! I would do it in a heartbeat! :flower:

dbanzai said:
I went solo to DL last year and had a ball by myself. I had fun talking to people they'd pair me up with on rides. Also for a number of attractions, they had a single rider line... Sometimes it was just getting on the fastpass line and other times they'd have you cue up at the exit for the next solo available seat.

This will be my first ever Disney trip solo and it will be to Disneyland. For one reason or another no one else was able to go with me, although my one niece said she may be able to show up for a day or two. I have the time and after some words of encouragement I got from here I decided to go for it! I had read of others going to WDW solo, but not as much about going to Disneyland alone, so I appreciate reading what dbanzail wrote and the thread.
Thanks. :) :wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter