Shooting after Super Bowl Parade

I know when we went last year I counted at least 4 snipers on the roofs in the area. But now that this has happened, I have no idea how they would ever be of help in crowds like this.

When I was at the US Open Tennis Tournament years ago, I spotted about 10 sharpshooters on the various rooftops. I think it is unlikely they'd be able to spot a shooter ahead of time, unless they shooters were expected to be there. But, from their supposed vantage point, the sharpshooters hopefully get to stop the shooter(s) sooner than waiting for police to run close enough to shoot, (amidst everyone running between them) or tackle the shooter(s), and maybe there would be less victims overall.

Probably a post for the controversial board. That's what it's made for.

Because people just can’t help themselves and inevitably make these discussions political.

How about everyone who wants to talk about the controversial part of this topic head over to the Controversial Board and leave this one to be about sympathizing with the VICTIMS.

What a novel idea. :rolleyes:

I suppose it would be too expensive, time consuming, and impractical to have a secure perimeter of about 20 blocks along a parade route.

I suppose it would be too expensive, time consuming, and impractical to have a secure perimeter of about 20 blocks along a parade route.

I don't think it's impractical. It's unfortunately necessary now, after today. I unfortunately think big celebrations like this should now have a secure perimeter area the way we do along Times Square on New Year's Eve. That is also a 20 block zone cordoned off. Everyone who enters has to have their bag checked and go through metal detectors before getting into the secure area. The way it is now to enter big stadium events.

I saw a blurb on the news with either the KC police chief or mayor (?) saying they had about 800 police officers at the event today. That even that didn't stop the shooters. But, without checking people on their way into the area, they could have had 5000 cops and it wouldn't have been enough. They can't cover every square foot at once. And the shooters are going to make sure they aren't standing right next to cops. There was about a million fans who showed up today. And now this has given copycat shooters the idea to do the same elsewhere. :(

Last edited:
Well, Times Square has the resources and experience to do it every year. If KC keeps up their dynasty, maybe they’ll follow suit.

It’s likely every city for every sports championship will increase security in the future.

Well, Times Square has the resources and experience to do it every year. If KC keeps up their dynasty, maybe they’ll follow suit.

It’s likely every city for every sports championship will increase security in the future.
Or they'll just do the celebrations online from a location only the team has access to. I could see that as a possibility too.

It’s likely every city for every sports championship will increase security in the future

Yes, this is the sad part. :( No place will be safe anymore as shooters try to out do each other to be memorable.

Or they'll just do the celebrations online from a location only the team has access to. I could see that as a possibility too.

Maybe move them from outdoor locations to indoor auditoriums. Someday, outdoor parades down Main Street may be a thing of the past. As RedAngie said, too many towns don't have the money or resources to keep everyone safe in an uncontrollable environment. :(

Yes, this is the sad part. :( No place will be safe anymore as shooters try to out do each other to be memorable.

Maybe move them from outdoor locations to indoor auditoriums. Someday, outdoor parades down Main Street may be a thing of the past. As RedAngie said, too many towns don't have the money or resources to keep everyone safe in an uncontrollable environment. :(
Arrowhead holds 76K people. It's estimated there were nearly a million people at the parade today.

Part of the problem is Kansas City didn't know for sure they' be having a victory celebration til three days ago.

Times Square celebrates every year and has decades of experience.,

I'm not bashing or criticizing Kansas City. This was unforeseen in some ways. They probably had bomb sniffing dogs walk up and down the parade route. That, I think has become standard protocol. And mom2rtk did mention she saw 4 sharpshooters a previous year. But, an outdoor shooting of this magnitude, until today, the U.S. hasn't had one.

(There was the shooting at an Illinois parade a year or so ago. I think that's what gave these shooters the idea to go bigger. Just a guess. But, they seem to like to out do a previous shooting.)

Times Square prepares more due to 9/11, and being a main foreign terrorist target. We have machinery that scans the air for any bio-chemical weapons and bombs that may be unleashed. (That's not your basic domestic terrorist or shooter.) Previous to 9/11, the reason they checked bags was for people sneaking in alcohol and then becoming unruly in the holding pens due to being drunk.

ABC News said this is around the 46th shooting this year so far. And it's only half way through February. :(

It's sad that our children may some day not know of spontaneous or outdoor celebrations like this. Everything may have to get restructured for the "what if there's a shooter" scenario.

Before people start in on discussions regarding safety, regarding protocols, regarding what they think should or shouldn't happened understand there is NO discussion publicly regarding motives at this time. The only hint I have heard was a fight breaking out between two parties but that's purely something said by reporters there when it was still fresh enough (maybe 2 hours after). No one knows publicly what was the reasoning at this time.

Until further information is released this is one of those situations where just the facts, as they come out, should be reported.

I read there were shootings last fall at the Texas Rangers celebration and also last spring in Denver for the Nuggets NBA. No deaths, but several injured at each incident.

Maybe it’s time to restrict attendance to controlled environments. Have the main celebration at Arrowhead, with TV at Royals Stadium and the Sprint Center and other facilities downtown.

Last edited:
Before people start in on discussions regarding safety, regarding protocols, regarding what they think should or shouldn't happened understand there is NO discussion publicly regarding motives at this time. The only hint I have heard was a fight breaking out between two parties but that's purely something said by reporters there when it was still fresh enough (maybe 2 hours after). No one knows publicly what was the reasoning at this time.

Until further information is released this is one of those situations where just the facts, as they come out, should be reported.

Interesting. Was it reported that the 2 shooters were shooting at each other?

There is footage of one alleged shooter being tackled by bystanders.

I didn't hear the other shooter was close by, as in an altercation. But, you are right, good reminder, we shouldn't speculate at this time as to what the cause may be.

Interesting. Was it reported that the 2 shooters were shooting at each other?

There is footage of one alleged shooter being tackled by bystanders.

I didn't hear the other shooter was close by, as in an altercation. But, you are right, good reminder, we shouldn't speculate at this time as to what the cause may be.
There is a 3rd person in custody, as I was watching it in real time that 3rd person was being arrested and taken away, but that fact of being arrested doesn't mean they were a shooter nor that there were 2 shooters as opposed to one although more than one gun was collected. Details haven't been released regarding the individuals in custody.

The fight breaking out was said by a reporter that was still at the scene in front of the stage but it's the only thing I have heard said as far as any hint. Those reporters out there at the scene were shaken up, were scared themselves and worried about the safety of their loved ones and themselves. There's a lot of confusion and there was a lot of chaos even though at first people really didn't understand what was going on, nor how serious it was. It would be understandable if that was an utterance that doesn't pan out but it isn't something I would immediately cross off my list of things that could have happened (personal conjecture there).

Technically the KCMO Police Chief has not confirmed that the video containing citizens tackling a person and then police coming over was of a suspect, last I heard. I've def. seen the video, watched the aerial footage of it being broadcast, but details aren't confirmed yet on just what was occurring there. I expect more details on this especially with how much it's been shared all over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter