• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Severance package received more.

I got let go 2 years ago after 25 years with the company. I did get a good severance package but I was also given a month to review the paperwork and sign it. Is he being granted that courtesy?

I have to tell you that I found a new job within 4 months and I'm much happier. The working conditions are much better. I did take a bit of a financial hit but my stress is so much less. I miss some people but still manage to see them.

I just thought I'd share so you know there's light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck to you.

We just went through the exact same thing. Severance was less than half 9f what it should have been. We did retain a lawyer because there was a lot of "fabrication" in the reasons for termination - no, DH did not have a meeting with you this day to discuss this, bc we were in Disney that week. Documented PTO. In the end, management "re -fudged" and we didn't get anywhere, but at least we tried.

It was a long 4 months, I went back to work full-time after 8 years as a sahm and DH is employed now, so we're in a better place financially than even before, but I still wish it didn't happen.

If he's in IT he should have no problem finding a new job. I'd start looking now. He'll probably have something within a month.

Since he knows it is a reality, he should be reaching out to contacts in his field. Better to be proactive than reactive.

I got let go 2 years ago after 25 years with the company. I did get a good severance package but I was also given a month to review the paperwork and sign it. Is he being granted that courtesy?

I have to tell you that I found a new job within 4 months and I'm much happier. The working conditions are much better. I did take a bit of a financial hit but my stress is so much less. I miss some people but still manage to see them.

I just thought I'd share so you know there's light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck to you.

Under federal law, anyone over 40 must be given at least 21 days under the the Older Workers Benefit Protection Act. Under 40 there’s no requirement but a similar courtesy is pretty common. And there should be 7 calendar days to revoke for anyone signing a severance agreement. That’s a real pain because no company will pay severance unless that period (and I think a reasonable mailing time) is up.

https://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/history/35th/thelaw/owbpa.html

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter