Service Dog?

Good luck! I was very fortunate in that the SD organization I chose places dogs based on need vs. on a waiting list. I actually got word that a dog was chosen, trained, and had been sponsored fully for me before I even got my official approval! I think I applied in February with my physician and myself working on the application, then I received my initial phone call a month later, then had a video interview ( part of their process) a month after that...and had Skye two months later after she'd finished her training which is a one year process for the dog. She walked into my home and life in early June, 2005 and has literally not left my side since that day.---Kathy and Skye

Good luck! I was very fortunate in that the SD organization I chose places dogs based on need vs. on a waiting list. I actually got word that a dog was chosen, trained, and had been sponsored fully for me before I even got my official approval! I think I applied in February with my physician and myself working on the application, then I received my initial phone call a month later, then had a video interview ( part of their process) a month after that...and had Skye two months later after she'd finished her training which is a one year process for the dog. She walked into my home and life in early June, 2005 and has literally not left my side since that day.---Kathy and Skye

Wasn't there a first try with a dog? I seem to remember boarding the ship thinking that there would be another Service Dog nearby and when you arrived without dog I was surprised...Was it the same organization? I don't remember now whether or not I even had time to ask with all the boarding confusion. Whatever happened? :confused3

Wow! That was a quick turn-around! The organisation I'm looking at do things a bit differently, so I would have to wait a while longer, but I think it will be worth the wait. I keep finding myself planning my life around a SD who probably hasn't even been born yet; is that silly? I know that there's a chance I won't be accepted - they only have limited funding, so can't help everyone who applies - but I do think it's worth trying.

I may talk to my doctor about this when I next go - I've got some test results to pick up anyway, so I might as well kill two birds with one stone. Unfortunately, I don't have one specific Doc, as our surgery is so busy that you pretty much have to take whoever you get given. A number of the doctors I've seen don't really 'get' my condition, or how debilitating it is. Hopefully I'll hit the jackpot this time, and get somebody who I can actually talk to, and who will understand how much of a help a SD would be for me.

Wasn't there a first try with a dog? I seem to remember boarding the ship thinking that there would be another Service Dog nearby and when you arrived without dog I was surprised...Was it the same organization? I don't remember now whether or not I even had time to ask with all the boarding confusion. Whatever happened? :confused3

Skye was the first dog chosen for me by PWAC- the other dog was from a trainer and it turned out he would not be able to work at all due to a disease they discovered ( and I can't remember now what it was). I never had him, never saw him. Skye and I are going to be featured in a chapter book- going to get professional pictures taken next week. I'll share the info when I know more. We have done some fundraiser speeches and it all sprouted from those appearances. I'd do anything to "give back" since I didn't have to pay a dime for Skye and am so grateful to have her. Lynda- do you have a new dog trained yet? ---Kathy

Skye and I are going to be featured in a chapter book- going to get professional pictures taken next week. I'll share the info when I know more. We have done some fundraiser speeches and it all sprouted from those appearances. I'd do anything to "give back" since I didn't have to pay a dime for Skye and am so grateful to have her.

Hope the photo-shoot goes well, keep us up to date!

My partner and I have agreed to 'hold off' on the service dog discussion until the New Year. I think he's getting a bit worried and stressed by it, and nobody wants that (he has a few low-level anxiety issues, and can 'shut down' a little when he gets overwhelmed). It's not that he doesn't want me to get a SD - he wants whatever will help me live as 'normal' (whatever that is) a life as possible - but he's worried about how I'd care for him / her. Hopefully putting this on the back burner for a bit will allow him to weigh the issue properly, and keep him as stress-free as possible.

I hope to try filing an application early next year. The organisation I'm looking at put in a lot of work during the application process, to help people decide whether or not a SD would be the best route for them. I've not yet talked to the fella about this; I'll let him de-stress a bit over Christmas first.

We're a right pair he and I - both falling apart at the seams!

When you are ready to re-visit the issue with your partner, I would call one of the places you are looking at and ask to visit the facility and ask if you can meet people with issues similar to yours that own SD's. Seeing is believing and could really help your partner's anxiety regarding the whole thing (and yours too!)

When you are ready to re-visit the issue with your partner, I would call one of the places you are looking at and ask to visit the facility and ask if you can meet people with issues similar to yours that own SD's. Seeing is believing and could really help your partner's anxiety regarding the whole thing (and yours too!)

I've been thinking that this might help him (and me!). The organisation I'm looking at hold Open Days, but they don't start until March next year, which is a long time away! I might see if they would be willing to have us visit for an hour or so outside of their information sessions. Their main centre is about 3 hours away by train (so many places are, because you have to go through London to get anywhere from here :rolleyes:), but they do have a hub just one county across. I'm not sure how much help they would be though, because all the advanced training happens at their main centre, so it's only puppy training near us.

Hi there,

I would like to tell you that yes I feel that a service dog would be able to help you. There are many things dogs can do to help those with various disabilities. You should definitely think about applying for a dog. I know that in the UK things are a little different than in the US, but either way, I think that you would qualify for a SD and are in need of one.

It can be some work to keep up on a SD, but many people find that fun, energizing, and gives them a purpose. I know many people who have Fibro and have a SD. There are a lot of ways you can exercise your dog without a lot of effort on your part. There are online groups that can give you a lot of ideas as well as the service dog programs themselves can make sure you can care for the dog. They will teach you all you need to know about the dog.

It can take 1-4 years to get a service dog. So it is not a quick thing. I have been waiting for 2 years, and my day will come next august. It is also expensive. There are some programs here in the US that help people get SD's but I don't know about UK. You will have to check it out. Do some searches online for programs near you that train SD's.

For me, having a dog to help means that I am using less energy for most things and then have the energy needed to take care of a dog the rest of the time. I have had a SD before, so I know a bit about how it goes.

I really hope that helps. But I say go for it. You would be surprised at how many things that a service dog can do to help you. Good luck!

Nicole and Becker

Hi everyone, I need some advice, and thought this might be the place to get it. I'm considering applying for a service dog, and wanted to 'talk it through' with all you lovely DISers who have SDs. I think that a dog would make a huge difference to my life, but I'm worried about whether I would be able to give them all the care they needed and deserved.

OK, quick background on me, for those who don't know. I've had Fibromyalgia for about four years now, which comes with all the fun of constant pain, weakness and extremely low energy levels :rolleyes:. I use a wheelchair outside the house, and walking aids at home. I just about manage to get through a full week at work (thankfully, I studied a subject which allows me to work a sedentary desk job), but that's pretty much all I can handle. I've got pretty much no social life to speak of; rely heavily on my partner to manage all the household chores; and can't even pop out to the shops, less than a minute away, on my own. I feel like my life and independence are slowly being eroded away.

I think that having a SD to help me with the day-to-day tasks of life, that I used to take for granted (picking things up, opening doors, etc), would make a real difference to my energy and pain levels. I also have fairly poor balance when I'm walking, and have narrowly missed a number of nasty falls, when my head suddenly forgets which way is up.

Also, my partner is currently looking for a job (he graduated a few months ago, but this isn't the easiest time for anyone to find work :sad2:). At the moment, he is at home most of the day, so can handle the cleaning, shopping, cooking, washing up, laundry etc, but I can't expect him to continue doing all this once he gets a job. He says he'll be able to manage it, but I don't think he will, especially as starting a new job is always tiring. Besides, I wouldn't feel right asking so much of him.

My biggest worry with having a SD, is whether I'd be able to give them all the exercise they would need to stay happy and healthy. I think I could manage to take him / her out to the park before and after work, but I'm worried about the bad days. I know I could ask the fella to push me to and from the park if necessary, but I don't want to have to ask him too often. I'm sure that having a dog relying on me to take them out, would give me an extra boost of energy and an incentive to push myself on, but I can't be certain whether this would be enough or not, until I actually had a dog at home.

So, how well do those of you with limited energy cope with caring for your SD (or pet dog, for those without SDs)? Can you still exercise, groom, feed and clean up after them on the bad days? How much do you have to rely on others to help with their care? Basically, it all boils down to whether I'd be able to look after a dog, and whether their help would outweight this extra energy 'cost'. I feel it would, but I've never had a dog (SD or otherwise) before, so can't be sure.

Any opinions, advice, experience or pointers would be really helpful to me right now, even if what you're saying isn't what I want to hear.

Thank you for reading this long post everyone, and thanks in advance of anything you can tell me! :thumbsup2

Hi there,

I would like to tell you that yes I feel that a service dog would be able to help you. There are many things dogs can do to help those with various disabilities. You should definitely think about applying for a dog. I know that in the UK things are a little different than in the US, but either way, I think that you would qualify for a SD and are in need of one.

It can be some work to keep up on a SD, but many people find that fun, energizing, and gives them a purpose. I know many people who have Fibro and have a SD. There are a lot of ways you can exercise your dog without a lot of effort on your part. There are online groups that can give you a lot of ideas as well as the service dog programs themselves can make sure you can care for the dog. They will teach you all you need to know about the dog.

It can take 1-4 years to get a service dog. So it is not a quick thing. I have been waiting for 2 years, and my day will come next august. It is also expensive. There are some programs here in the US that help people get SD's but I don't know about UK. You will have to check it out. Do some searches online for programs near you that train SD's.

For me, having a dog to help means that I am using less energy for most things and then have the energy needed to take care of a dog the rest of the time. I have had a SD before, so I know a bit about how it goes.

I really hope that helps. But I say go for it. You would be surprised at how many things that a service dog can do to help you. Good luck!

Nicole and Becker

Thank you Nicole and Becker! Hearing stories from all you lovely people who have, or are in the process of getting, SDs is extremely helpful and reassuring.

You're right, the rules in the UK are quite different for SDs. The main thing is, your dog has to be certified by a registered organisation (some help owners train an existing pet, while others train the dog from puppyhood). I've looked into the SD organisations here in the UK, and I hope to apply to Canine Partners. They've helped others with similar conditions to mine, so will be able to help me plan the dog's care around my fatigue and pain issues.

I'm starting to feel more confident about caring for a dog, after giving it a lot of thought, and hearing from other SD owners. I've also been going for short 'walks' (OK, they're actually 'rolls', but that just sounds like my lunch :rotfl:) during my lunch break (we get a whole hour here, so I have time to recover from it before getting back to work). I'm managing about 15 - 20 minutes out at a time now, and am planning to build it up to about half an hour. If nothing else, it's good exercise and is a bit of reassurance for myself and my partner that I would be able to give a dog the exercise they'd need.

I understand the application and training process takes a long time, which is one of the reasons I'm looking into this now. Even though my condition is not supposed to be degenerative, I have been going steadily downhill since I developed it 4 years ago. I hate to think how things will be in another 4 years time :sad2:. This thought alone is enough to drag me towards depression, but the real kicker is my ever-decreasing independence. I used to be fairly active and extremely independent; now that's all gone out of the window, and I'm reliant on others for even the simplest of things:mad::sad1:. Also in a few years time I hope to have children, but I think it will be a real struggle to care for a baby or toddler as I am now. Having a SD who could help me with day-to-day tasks could mean the difference between coping and... well, not!

Thank you again, everyone, for all your help and support :grouphug:! Hopefully I'll be able to discuss this again with my partner in the New Year, and we can find a way to make this work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter