Self Checkout

Haven't really seen any changes in numbers of self-checkout but usage for me is hit or miss. It's useful if you are making a small purchase and aren't using any coupons or discount cards/gift cards that require a worker to come and put a pin in to approve. For large orders like at the grocery store/Target I hate using self-checkout and have never gotten out of there without needing worker assistance. The areas are much too small for full cart checkout.

We have the same amount. Our Target is well-staffed...rarely long lines, and employees always ready to help/open another lane if needed.

I don't understand the "I'm not getting paid to be a cashier" mentality. I don't feel like there's any "work" involved in scanning a few items at a self-checkout so I can pay and be out of a store quickly and efficiently. To me, standing in a long line is more work/costly (time wasting) than just doing it myself.

Even in the regular grocery store check out, I will go around to the end and bag/load so the cashier doesn't have to. It makes the checkout process run much more quickly since they don't have to bag and then walk around the end to put each bag in the cart. I'm happy to give them a bit of a break. Why not do something to make someone's day a little easier when it's really no effort on my part. I really can't imagine just standing there and thinking "not my job"
Probably the same people that leave their cart in the parking lot and leave their trash at their seat at the movie theater.

Probably the same people that leave their cart in the parking lot and leave their trash at their seat at the movie theater.

That reminds me of a poster years ago that insisted that clearing your table at a fast food restaurant was taking jobs away. 😂

That reminds me of a poster years ago that insisted that clearing your table at a fast food restaurant was taking jobs away. 😂

I think there's been quite a bit of discussion on whether or not leaving some work for a store/restaurant/hotel employee is unfair. There's been talk about how much time housekeeping staff at hotels are given for each room, what is automatically done regardless, etc. However, it's generally understood that there will be a service component where the customer isn't required to restore everything to the original condition. Self checkout doesn't bother me if I find a benefit to it.

I prefer self checkout. Quite frankly, I am more efficient than the cashiers and baggers in general. I mostly ask to bag my own groceries even when there is a bagger.

I have said this before, I live near the world's worse Publix. (Publix is generally known for their service, but not this one. I could go to another, but this is so close to the house, I just have found work arounds.) Anyway, their baggers are the WORST. I have had them put a fresh loaf of bread UNDER a bag of oranges, just randomly throw things together, etc. I am not going to let them damage the stuff I already feel like I overpay for.

I really am slowly turning into a grumpy old lady!

The areas are much too small for full cart checkout.
When our local Walmart underwent their renovation for the self check out area (making it larger and adding some on the other side of the store) they added on a lot of machines that have extra space for larger cart purchases

They look like this (stock image from a press release):

I'm sure for some the area is still too small but it's a good addition to the normal machines at least.

They are increasing but I still refuse to use them.
I don't feel strongly about self-check outs, but they are usually faster, and I do like bagging my own stuff -- I hate squished bread or the waste of two items in a bag.

What I wonder is, How many people are stealing stuff /not ringing up everything?
Here's a story from a month or so ago: I pulled my cart into a self check-out line, and I wasn't 'specially paying attention to the woman in front of me. She had a GIANT CART FULL, and she was kinda standing there being slow -- but I didn't really care. After a minute, she pushed her cart away and left the store, and it was my turn. The screen read something like YOUR CARD IS REJECTED. PLEASE ENTER ANOTHER FORM OF PAYMENT. And she just walked away! I think the teenager supervising the self check-out didn't want to confront the woman -- she was certainly ignoring me when I tried to get her attention. I couldn't start my own sale, so I just moved to another line.
This is taking away jobs for cashiers.. so sad
I see NOW HIRING signs all over the place, so I'm not convinced this is a big issue.
An underage kid could use Dad’s ID.
Yep, that's the reason.

Last edited:
I think there's been quite a bit of discussion on whether or not leaving some work for a store/restaurant/hotel employee is unfair. There's been talk about how much time housekeeping staff at hotels are given for each room, what is automatically done regardless, etc. However, it's generally understood that there will be a service component where the customer isn't required to restore everything to the original condition. Self checkout doesn't bother me if I find a benefit to it.

Um ok

When our local Walmart underwent their renovation for the self check out area (making it larger and adding some on the other side of the store) they added on a lot of machines that have extra space for larger cart purchases

They look like this (stock image from a press release):
View attachment 579633

I'm sure for some the area is still too small but it's a good addition to the normal machines at least.
The Walmarts around here have converted some of the regular checkouts into self-check out. They look just like the regular lane with the full conveyor belt. They just put in the self-pay machine where the cash register used to be. I use these if I have a large order.

The self-checkouts at one local grocery store are really too small to use for a full grocery shopping trip. There is only a tiny space two bags wide and it's the type that is weight sensitive, so if you try to move the bags off the area it will beep that items have been moved from the bagging area.

There is only a tiny space two bags wide and it's the type that is weight sensitive, so if you try to move the bags off the area it will beep that items have been moved from the bagging area.
Walmart still has those. Our closest location is a combo of the larger sized and the normal ones (but with cameras). We just learned the machines over time. My comment about sensitivity a page or two back is about that. We know to put the item down and wait for the machine to go from red to green. Once the light goes to green you won't (at least on these machines) get the item has moved from the bagging area warning because it's already registered it. They've got it programmed much better than in the past where it's sensitive enough to pick up a taco seasoning packet but not sensitive enough where you're constantly getting the unexpected item in the bagging area message. That would at least be our experience at Walmart which is what we primarily use. I think we've adapted to using some of these same methods for other places and it mostly seems to be working out.

You'd never think about a learning curve with these machines and yet here we are lol.

ETA: I think a lot comes down to what these places have the settings at, it can be very frustrating when it's set in a non-customer friendly way.

I do most of my grocery shopping at Shop Rite and often use self-checkouts for orders of 20 or fewer items. The scanners work fine and for the most part there are no problems, but the lady’s voice is VERY impatient. If you don’t bag fast enough she keeps repeating every 7 seconds or so: “Please remove your items from the bagging area.”

After her third admonishment you can probably guess what I silently say to her.

My nearest Target has doubled the number of self-checkouts. Used to be a wide area with 4, now you walk into an expanded L-shaped area with 8. My Kroger also added a second set of 6, doubling to 12. I am an introvert, and anyone less I have to talk to on my more socially anxious days is a good thing. Ha. But actually, I know the Kroger employees who man the self-check quite well and interact with them regularly. I'm not at Target often enough to recognize the people but they are generally friendly and helpful if needed. I love the efficiency of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter