• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rumor: DinoLand, USA to become Indiana Jones Land?

Avatar wasn't an odd choice at all.

Here's how it go:
1. Comcast buys universal...doesn't sell parks for scrap
2. Comcast lands world class IP and does quick buildout
3. Disney gets desperate and announces "something" with mercurial Hollywood producer with deep pockets that looks good on surface and is "sorta nature-y...ish...a bit"

...pay no mind that it's in outer space. If George had sold earlier we probably would have jar jar world there now...at least there's that!

As far as picking Avatar as an IP to being to the park - remember the discussions and agreement happened years ago, not that long after the first movie came out and expectations were the additional moves would be coming out and the land would open after one or two had come out and before the third new one or something. Let owing back it definitely seems odd, but at the time it makes more sense with just how big the movie was

So big of a movie that fox has been wishy washy about supporting the sequels...

It's YUGE!!

Is this the appropriate place for me to yell about Beastly Kingdom? If so, consider me doing it right now.

Also, I kinda like the kitsch of Dinoland, just wished they'd thrown in a few more cheesy rides.

And, BEASTLY KINGDOM!

As far as picking Avatar as an IP to being to the park - remember the discussions and agreement happened years ago, not that long after the first movie came out and expectations were the additional moves would be coming out and the land would open after one or two had come out and before the third new one or something. Let owing back it definitely seems odd, but at the time it makes more sense with just how big the movie was

No, I know. I've read much of the previous discussion, but with just one movie (as successful as it was), it was a bigger gamble than any of the other lands based on IPs that have come and are coming. Are there any others with less than a decade of history?

It's funny how divisive AK is - I know a lot of people like you but then also a lot like me who absolutely love the park and could spend hours just wandering around

I also love the party vibe be they have developed at night there

I agree completely! To me, this is the best park at WDW, besides MK. This is the kind of park Walt would have wanted...something immersive that includes fantasy and "true life adventures". The Discovery Island Carnivale was one of the greatest Disney experiences I've ever had (and I've had a lot of them!). From the animals to the cast members to the completely immersive experience, this park is tops (and I wasn't incredibly impressed with Pandora, even).

Is this the appropriate place for me to yell about Beastly Kingdom? If so, consider me doing it right now.

Also, I kinda like the kitsch of Dinoland, just wished they'd thrown in a few more cheesy rides.

And, BEASTLY KINGDOM!

So many awesome things could have come out of Beastly Kingdom. They should still do it. There's a good bit of land behind Everest, and who needs a Nemo theater anyway? :teeth:

It would be perfect next to Everest and leading into the revamped Dinoland. Heck, Gigantopithecus was a real thing (and huge!).

No, I know. I've read much of the previous discussion, but with just one movie (as successful as it was), it was a bigger gamble than any of the other lands based on IPs that have come and are coming. Are there any others with less than a decade of history?

Well, Dinoland was connected to the movie Dinosaur. Mission: Space was connected to the movie Mission to Mars.

Sleeping Beauty Castle was based on Sleeping Beauty which hadn't come out yet.

The retheme or Norway to Frozen (the ride and building the meet and greet building that went into an additional country pavilion) was done less than a decade after Frozen came out

I'd have to check the dates of when the Toy Story Pands in Paris and Hong Kong were built vs dates the first Toy Story movie came out

Maybe nothing as massive as Pandora but things have been built based on newer properties

And, BEASTLY KINGDOM!

Well, Universal is getting rid of Dragon Challenge, which was originally designed for Beastly Kingdom ... maybe Disney could buy it from them :D

So many awesome things could have come out of Beastly Kingdom. They should still do it. There's a good bit of land behind Everest, and who needs a Nemo theater anyway? :teeth:

It would be perfect next to Everest and leading into the revamped Dinoland. Heck, Gigantopithecus was a real thing (and huge!).

I just want WDW to do dragons - damn it! DRAGONS! And unicorns. I'm pro-unicorns. They can sell those unicorns drink like at Starbucks, but with booze.

ETA: I'd take Dragons in the middle of my beloved Worldshowplace lagoon. WDW could do some awesome dragons.

Well, Dinoland was connected to the movie Dinosaur. Mission: Space was connected to the movie Mission to Mars.

Sleeping Beauty Castle was based on Sleeping Beauty which hadn't come out yet.

The retheme or Norway to Frozen (the ride and building the meet and greet building that went into an additional country pavilion) was done less than a decade after Frozen came out

I'd have to check the dates of when the Toy Story Pands in Paris and Hong Kong were built vs dates the first Toy Story movie came out

Maybe nothing as massive as Pandora but things have been built based on newer properties

Right, but I was indeed talking about a whole land. It's a gamble, and I don't know that it will pay off as big as they want it to, but I did enjoy the heck out of it. That said, they have had success with unpopular IPs in the past (Splash Mountain).

I just tend to agree with those that think it was an odd choice, especially for a non-Disney IP (the ones you mentioned were at least Disney), but I also agree with those that think it fits well and is very well done.

Plus, wasn't the Dino ride its own thing and then redone to include the Dinosaur movie? Besides, Dinosaurs are essential to me. They need to be there.

I just want WDW to do dragons - damn it! DRAGONS! And unicorns. I'm pro-unicorns. They can sell those unicorns drink like at Starbucks, but with booze.

ETA: I'd take Dragons in the middle of my beloved Worldshowplace lagoon. WDW could do some awesome dragons.

I'm reminded of the awesome flying dragon they had. Silly lawyers.

Plus, wasn't the Dino ride its own thing and then redone to include the Dinosaur movie? Besides, Dinosaurs are essential to me. They need to be there.

In my mind, I'd never say anyplace needs less dinosaurs...or dragons obviously. They're both awesome. Maybe WDW's 5th gate can simply be "Dinosaurs and Dragons Kingdom" and they can make them battle every night for the evening entertainment.

In my mind, I'd never say anyplace needs less dinosaurs...or dragons obviously. They're both awesome. Maybe WDW's 5th gate can simply be "Dinosaurs and Dragons Kingdom" and they can make them battle every night for the evening entertainment.
If Disney had any plans of opening a 5th gate any time in our lifetimes they would have done so with Star Wars. I think them putting Star Wars in DHS signals volumes about their intention of ever opening a 5th gate. Heck, when AK added Pandora, they pulled the night parade and night hours from MK. That also tells me no 5th gate in my lifetime.

If Disney had any plans of opening a 5th gate any time in our lifetimes they would have done so with Star Wars. I think them putting Star Wars in DHS signals volumes about their intention of ever opening a 5th gate. Heck, when AK added Pandora, they pulled the night parade and night hours from MK. That also tells me no 5th gate in my lifetime.

I'm not holding my breath, just being silly because dinos and dragons are rad.

Avatar wasn't an odd choice at all.

Here's how it go:
1. Comcast buys universal...doesn't sell parks for scrap
2. Comcast lands world class IP and does quick buildout
3. Disney gets desperate and announces "something" with mercurial Hollywood producer with deep pockets that looks good on surface and is "sorta nature-y...ish...a bit"

...pay no mind that it's in outer space. If George had sold earlier we probably would have jar jar world there now...at least there's that!

haha, yeah, if you're into outer space conservation. go watch Space Junk at your nearest IMax

Right, but I was indeed talking about a whole land. It's a gamble, and I don't know that it will pay off as big as they want it to, but I did enjoy the heck out of it. That said, they have had success with unpopular IPs in the past (Splash Mountain).

I just tend to agree with those that think it was an odd choice, especially for a non-Disney IP (the ones you mentioned were at least Disney), but I also agree with those that think it fits well and is very well done.

Oh, I don't disagree that it was a gamble and I definitely questioned it at the time (also looks bad when they turned down Harry Potter because they found JK to be too hard to work with, but then turn to James Cameron?!??! - I know it's not apples to apples, but high level looks odd). Just pointing out they have created attractions with newer properties

And, BEASTLY KINGDOM!
Going back to the original post, perhaps Disney could take care of two birds with one stone here and give the next IJ movie the working title of "Indiana Jones V: Search for the Beastly Kingdom" - then AK gets both.

Going back to the original post, perhaps Disney could take care of two birds with one stone here and give the next IJ movie the working title of "Indiana Jones V: Search for the Beastly Kingdom" - then AK gets both.

I'm down for that. In your proposed version, I'm assuming we'll have dragons, right? ...lol. Not sure what the preoccupation with dragons is today.

I think you're probably right - Disney is committed to a course that would appear to exclude a 5th gate for many years to come.

The wild, reckless and totally irresponsible speculative side of me, however, hopes that SW Land and the resort are trial balloons for a full blown park - and that "Galaxy's Edge" (rather than a more familiar SW world) was chosen because it would be connected to the fifth gate (similar to the Hogwarts Express) and literally be the "Galaxy's Edge" of the full SW world in the other park - the spaceport to send you off to a galaxy far, far away. But that's the SW fan in me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter