Rumor: DinoLand, USA to become Indiana Jones Land?

I just don't see Indiana Jones as a land. Maybe an attraction? It doesn't have the appeal of SW or TS in my opinion. I personally do not want to lose Dinosaur. Can we please have one park not loaded with IP? I don't fully hate the idea of IP but I think Disney could go overboard and to me this is "overboard". People should learn something from AK. It's about animals and conservation. That's what this park is to me. What message does Indiana Jones send about any of that? None! Is every park going to be the same with film related attractions? IMO, IJL belongs in DHS. Besides, I'm still wishing and hoping for that Beastly Kingdom idea to come to fruition.

Last edited:
I just don't see Indiana Jones as a land. Maybe an attraction? It doesn't have the appeal of SW or TS in my opinion. I personally do not want to lose Dinosaur. Can we please have one park not loaded with IP? I don't fully hate the idea of IP but I think Disney could go overboard and to me this is "overboard". People should learn something from AK. It's about animals and conservation. That's what this park is to me. What message does Indiana Jones send about any of that? None!

Well, technically dinosaur is IP based - just on a property no one really remembers

I do like the idea of dinosaurs being represented in AK and very much prefer the 4 parks retain a different "feel" from one another

I think they concurrently developed the movie and the ride...or modified the character in the movie to be the iguanadon.

It was always the iguanadon.

But was that an issue? It really would have never affected the movie at all.

For whatever reason I want "it was always the iguanadon" to become an expression for things that are obvious and will always exist...like the ocean, or the President's orange palor.

Dinosaur is possibly my favorite ride in WDW - at least in the top 5. I hope they keep Dinoland and just beef it up. I would agree the whole carnival area should be re-done to something non-carnival-like.

Having been on Indy at Disneyland so many times, I would agree (although, it's not quite in my top 5...but, it COULD BE!). A little bit of investment in Dinosaur could make it one of the best attractions at AK. The ride has SO MUCH potential! No matter what...they do need to work on the queue control, though. I didn't experience any other ride with as large a discrepancy between the FP and standby lines as this ride. It was almost an agonizing experience.

I guess that's fair, but most of the ideas Disney originally had for its Beastly Kingdom were used in the Lost Continent, so they'd have to take it in a different direction. Anyway, the Lost Continent has been shrinking thanks to HP and it could be gone completely in the next several years

I get it. Those imagineers took their Beastly Kingdom toys, I mean ideas, and headed over to IOA. The range is so huge though, WDW could finally deliver on that dragon part of the original vision and thematically it'd just be so perfect, especially in a park that has such amazing themeing.

Last edited:
I just don't see Indiana Jones as a land. Maybe an attraction? It doesn't have the appeal of SW or TS in my opinion. I personally do not want to lose Dinosaur. Can we please have one park not loaded with IP? I don't fully hate the idea of IP but I think Disney could go overboard and to me this is "overboard". People should learn something from AK. It's about animals and conservation. That's what this park is to me. What message does Indiana Jones send about any of that? None! Also I don't think Indiana Jones should get a land but maybe just a new attraction. It is hardly SW or TS. Besides, I still wishing and hoping for that Beastly Kingdom idea to come to fruition.

I agree, That's why i did not like Avatar in AK. Sure the movie is about conservation, but so are hundreds of other flicks. It's fantasy and belongs in another park.

Sure the movie is about conservation, but so are hundreds of other flicks. It's fantasy and belongs in another park.

I really believe that the decision to put Pandoraland in AK came down to "we need more attractions in AK to boost our numbers, so lets stick it there." :mad:

Going with that mentality, look for Indiana Jones to come to AK. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a new Aliens attraction in the future at AK as well. After all, aren't Xenomorphs animals as well? :teeth:

At Disney Corporate, no one can hear you scream.....:teeth:

As much as I am not a fan of the Avatar IP, if it was between Pandora or Erin Brockovich-land, I think I'd still pick the smurfs.
There used to be a Smurf Mountain ride at Cedar Fair's Kings Dominion in Virginia. It closed years ago - perhaps Disney could buy the assets and install something in the base of Expedition Everest?? Get Iger on the phone, stat!!

I think they concurrently developed the movie and the ride...or modified the character in the movie to be the iguanadon.

It was always the iguanadon.

But was that an issue? It really would have never affected the movie at all.

No issue. Just curious how that went down. Thanks for the reply.

Yep, the ride is basically the same, always getting the Iguanadon out. I think it was where the movie and ride were in production at the same time and knew they could use the ride to promote the movie when it came out. Out front of the ride it used to be water the Iguanadon was standing in, then they filled it in with plants, probably cause people let there kids swim in it (I witnessed that many times). THey've added some new effects recently and they tamed it down some way back to change the height requirement to the 40", but otherwise it's the same. "Countdown to Extinction" was a more fun name for sure.

Before Dinorama was the big white tent was some fossils, dino skeletons and more dig site stuff which was cool but no rides so at least Dinorama brought rides.

I rode the thing back in 2000, but I don't remember much about the area around it at that time. Thanks for the reply.

I could totally see this work and here's why, so as discussed Dino land is kinda a drag in places (my least favorite land) so if you look at the big picture with the Indy franchise of the movies that have been made and with the movie coming out in 2020 there's a lot that can be done. Again as discussed the same track is shared between the 2 rides of the dinasuar ride in WDW and in California so that would just need a retheming. Now what to do with the rest of the land. If you watch the movies there's so much great iconic places with amazing theming that could be brought in with ruins and jungle, animals could be placed throughout. Disneyland Paris has the coaster and I think that would be a cool addition but they could even have a walk through of artifacts or ruins and maybe a water ride that shows a few iconic scenes. Bring the show over if there's room (looks like on google maps there is) but I think it could be a great experience with a ton of theming and you can add so much to it.

Oh please, bring it!!! Love the Indy ride in DL. Not a fan of how dinoland was executed in AK from the get go.

Dino ride in AK is same platform, with some modificaitons could easily overlay it IMO.

For the purists who want to see an animal, they could work that into the overall theming set in jungle.

I know someone already floated the idea on this thread but if it is Indy set in South America that could be cool. Rain Forest is one habitat not fully represented in AK so could have an animal trail with that theme and maybe do a kids splash area or something else water related - and maybe one more related attraction or show

then you have the boneyard as the excavation site, you port over the Indy rollercoaster from Paris which sort of has that theme too and you retheme dinosaurs to the Indy ride from DLR

I would say no because it doesn't fit the theme at all, but after they put Avatar in there, the theme went flying out the window. I wish they would have put a mythological animal section in AK! There are unicorns on the lamps and stuff (and we have the Yeti in Asia) so that would have been really neat. I think if they had split DHS by studios (Pixar, LucasFilm, etc) that would have opened up sooooooooo many doors for them in that park. And then Avatar could be there (which makes sense because movie-making wise people were really into it) instead of in AK. Butttt it's in Animal Kingdom.

I would say no because it doesn't fit the theme at all, but after they put Avatar in there, the theme went flying out the window. I wish they would have put a mythological animal section in AK! There are unicorns on the lamps and stuff (and we have the Yeti in Asia) so that would have been really neat. I think if they had split DHS by studios (Pixar, LucasFilm, etc) that would have opened up sooooooooo many doors for them in that park. And then Avatar could be there (which makes sense because movie-making wise people were really into it) instead of in AK. Butttt it's in Animal Kingdom.
Avatar is in animal kingdom based on its theme of conservation. Rhode made it very clear

Avatar is in animal kingdom based on its theme of conservation. Rhode made it very clear
Just because they made their reason clear doesn't mean it's a good reason, lol. There are other Disney movies that have better conservation messages that could have been used, and since they bought the rights to Avatar it really could have been any conservation movie. It was about money because at the end of the day, Disney is a corporation. Which is fine. It's just my opinion that they could've done something else there that I personally would've enjoyed more, but Disney doesn't listen to me. :P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter