• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Roxymama's 5k to Marathon, Time to Collect Another Castle

I used the nearby middle school track this summer. I was really nervous about it at first. For some reason I assumed someone would come yell at me and tell me to leave. That never happened, and even if it had wouldn't have been a big deal.

Standard track is 400m around. There'll also be markings in all the lanes for other distances (100,200, etc.).

We run on the middle school track as well. We run very early in the morning so no kiddos out there. It's much easier running these on a track since the distances are predetermined. Plus tracks are actually a really nice surface, so it's a nice break for the joints. :)

@roxymama @GollyGadget @pixarmom @run.minnie.miles I've never done a Ragnar and live too far away from y'all to participate :( but I did the Run Across Georgia this past year with a team of basically strangers and it was amazing. We did it non-competitively and I can honestly say it is one of my proudest accomplishments, so if y'all get the chance to do it I will be cheering you all on!

So this Ragnar.... how serious are we (@roxymama @GollyGadget @pixarmom ) about it? :rolleyes1

Haha, I need like a week to just research what the heck even would go into it. I like the idea of a ragnar but ask me specifics and I'll just say "smelly people in a van, running with headlamps"
I also think the more people you have, the shorter you have to run? Does that sound right?
So...I'd say my want to try it is fairly serious...but knowing exactly what it is...MORE RESEARCH!!!!
Also if @DopeyBadger is training for something else we can just steal his wife right? I've seen pics of her with half medals???

So yeah, I dunno how SERIOUS serious I am. But I'll do some legwork looking at what the heck is involved.

Edited to say that I'm pretty sure @Keels and maybe Mike? are both doing a ragnar soon so I may see how it goes for them to glean knowledge or get scared or both.

Haha, I need like a week to just research what the heck even would go into it. I like the idea of a ragnar but ask me specifics and I'll just say "smelly people in a van, running with headlamps"
I also think the more people you have, the shorter you have to run? Does that sound right?
So...I'd say my want to try it is fairly serious...but knowing exactly what it is...MORE RESEARCH!!!!
Also if @DopeyBadger is training for something else we can just steal his wife right? I've seen pics of her with half medals???

So yeah, I dunno how SERIOUS serious I am. But I'll do some legwork looking at what the heck is involved.

Edited to say that I'm pretty sure @Keels and maybe Mike? are both doing a ragnar soon so I may see how it goes for them to glean knowledge or get scared or both.
Yup, we are doing Ragnar South Beach in November, but sadly @Keels and I aren't on the same team :( I am running with @FFigawi though so sparkle skirts will be in full force. You have teams of 12 and everybody runs 3 legs each, though the distances vary. I was lucky enough to be assigned the 3 legs that are around 24 miles or so, just what I need the weekend after a marathon!

@opusone just did one as well.

Near 100% certainty you can count my wife out. She hasn't run since Jan 2016 and her knees have only gotten worse since then.

Ok- I am in the same boat- definitely interested, but not SERIOUS serious. I would totally be up for it if it worked with my schedule thought! (I am within driving distance to Chicago... a long drive, but nevertheless, it's driveable.)

I know there are 2 types- road and trail. For the road you need 2 vans, but for the trail, you set up 1 campsite and always start/end near there (if I understand it right). The campsite thing sounds more enjoyable, BUT I live in farmland central, no trail running near me, so road might be better.

Yup, we are doing Ragnar South Beach in November, but sadly @Keels and I aren't on the same team :( I am running with @FFigawi though so sparkle skirts will be in full force. You have teams of 12 and everybody runs 3 legs each, though the distances vary. I was lucky enough to be assigned the 3 legs that are around 24 miles or so, just what I need the weekend after a marathon!

We may not be on the same team, but we ARE on the same leg!!

So I think we'd need way more people if we ever did it!!!
And I 100% endorse all sparkling!!! (it makes you faster)

Ok- I am in the same boat- definitely interested, but not SERIOUS serious. I would totally be up for it if it worked with my schedule thought! (I am within driving distance to Chicago... a long drive, but nevertheless, it's driveable.)

I know there are 2 types- road and trail. For the road you need 2 vans, but for the trail, you set up 1 campsite and always start/end near there (if I understand it right). The campsite thing sounds more enjoyable, BUT I live in farmland central, no trail running near me, so road might be better.

I'm having flashbacks of driving giant passenger vans full of groggy college kids to the our boat yard by the levies and back for crew practice. Arrive dry, leave muddy.
I think the whole Ragnar thing is a "maybe one day" thing right now. But still intrigued.

We may not be on the same team, but we ARE on the same leg!!

That's pretty awesome. So will you also be bringing a sparkle skirt?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter