• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

ROFR Thread July to Sept 2018 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bing Showei---$93-$17859-175-SSR-Mar-0/17, 175/18, 175/19- sent 6/13, passed 7/2

I'm convinced ROFR Monkey's drunken binge in June has left it completely hung over and cash poor.
Your not kidding this would have never passed a few week ago

Frederic Civish---$108-$27750-250-AKV-Feb-93/17, 250/18, 250/19, 250/20-Seller pays Closing.- sent 6/28, taken 7/10

Ah. Stab me in the heart. I started off trying to get this in early-mid June. The seller was asking for $105. I personal raised the offer to $107 and then, on second thought, to $108, specifically in order to avoid ROFR. IT DIDN'T WORK!! I am unhappy and frustrated. This was the perfect size for me and I thought the price I offered would pass ROFR.

Oh well.

That Sucks.

In talking with one of the brokers I was told that Disney does look at who is paying the closing costs and will still see the details that the seller is paying closing, so they know the adjusted price per point being paid. Since the seller still pays closing whether you buy or Disney does. Your offer still puts it in line with other $105 offers where buyer pays closing that Disney had been taking back.

Good Luck on your next one, I'm still on the hunt for an AKV contract as well.

Bing Showei---$93-$17859-175-SSR-Mar-0/17, 175/18, 175/19- sent 6/13, passed 7/2

I'm convinced ROFR Monkey's drunken binge in June has left it completely hung over and cash poor.

This made me laugh so hard, and ... Congratulations!

As for Disney buying back stripped SSR contracts - Wasn't there a promo back when they were selling Poly and maybe even early CCV that if you bought over a certain # of points direct, you got a one-time trip of a week in an SSR 1-br as well? That might make sense for selling Riviera points.

Frederic Civish---$108-$27750-250-AKV-Feb-93/17, 250/18, 250/19, 250/20-Seller pays Closing.- sent 6/28, taken 7/10

Ah. Stab me in the heart. I started off trying to get this in early-mid June. The seller was asking for $105. I personal raised the offer to $107 and then, on second thought, to $108, specifically in order to avoid ROFR. IT DIDN'T WORK!! I am unhappy and frustrated. This was the perfect size for me and I thought the price I offered would pass ROFR.

Oh well.
I would love to know the process of how they choose ROFR to exercise. Does each agent have a quota they need to hit? Does it vary by use year? Surely, one of the brokers/agents who worked for DVC and now work for one of the DVC resale sites has some insight.

Lyza---$100-$16729-150-AKV-Sep-150/17, 200/18, 150/19- sent 7/10

I know AKV has been taken ALOT in the last few months. I am not very positive, I think they won’t wave... I hope my file will be in her desk à 4pm Friday night before vacation so he will said « I need to go pack my luggage I will wave this one »

I think the prices are starting to drop back down at least at AKL. I have been following AKL and there have been quite a few deeds posting at 100 to 103 lately. 2 posted today at $100 per point that passed ROFR the beginning of June. I have also noticed more "price reductions" on listed AKL than we have seen the last few months.

Then you see a outlier like one yesterday posted at $118 for a 150 point contract

Yes it’s so true! Saw a few « reduced » lately. Mine was send today 100$ pp

I am nervous, know they will take it but it’s my first try...

I know AKV has been taken ALOT in the last few months. I am not very positive, I think they won’t wave... I hope my file will be in her desk à 4pm Friday night before vacation so he will said « I need to go pack my luggage I will wave this one »

Great price hopefully it goes through for you!

Yes it’s so true! Saw a few « reduced » lately. Mine was send today 100$ pp

I am nervous, know they will take it but it’s my first try...

Sometimes people need to reduce because they are way out of line with the market. There have been a few lately that are just crazy. The crazier thing is when those sell. If you look across the sites right now, you'll see some priced very highly. Keep an eye on them, and notice when they "reduce" to a more reasonable price. They shouldn't have had to reduce to that price and should've started there.

Yeah your right on the line of pass or not pass - I think your only hope is that those 2016 banked points will expire before you close

I would love to know the process of how they choose ROFR to exercise. Does each agent have a quota they need to hit? Does it vary by use year? Surely, one of the brokers/agents who worked for DVC and now work for one of the DVC resale sites has some insight.
I'm sure they do, but they won't ever say

Sometimes people need to reduce because they are way out of line with the market. There have been a few lately that are just crazy. The crazier thing is when those sell. If you look across the sites right now, you'll see some priced very highly. Keep an eye on them, and notice when they "reduce" to a more reasonable price. They shouldn't have had to reduce to that price and should've started there.

I've also noticed that in some cases, when it's marked "reduced," it creates a psychological appeal. I've seen 2 contracts sitting for a couple weeks but as soon as they're marked "reduced" even though the price hasn't moved, they sold!

I think the prices are starting to drop back down at least at AKL. I have been following AKL and there have been quite a few deeds posting at 100 to 103 lately. 2 posted today at $100 per point that passed ROFR the beginning of June. I have also noticed more "price reductions" on listed AKL than we have seen the last few months.

Then you see a outlier like one yesterday posted at $118 for a 150 point contract

I've made a few offers on AKV and SSR in the last two weeks, all to be rejected. Resolutely sticking to my plan although it's tempting to go just that $5pp higher...

We're novices to timesharing, but I know market confidence is a fragile thing in real estate. 2-3 rate rises in a year, a few extra sellers in the market and buyers being more cautious, and suddenly auction clearance rate for houses drops below 50%. With a Fed rate rise in September and possibly another before the end of the year, I think resales will cool/at least not continue to increase.

Side note, I want to know how Bing Showei and Jerry are snapping up all the good deals while brokers and sellers act like I'm stealing the puppies their grandmothers gave them to sell to the glue factory!

Side note, I want to know how Bing Showei and Jerry are snapping up all the good deals while brokers and sellers act like I'm stealing the puppies their grandmothers gave them to sell to the glue factory!
It’s because we embrace our inner puppy peddler.

I won’t speak for Jerry, as he seems to operate on a whole other plane, but honestly, I think the biggest advantage I have is that I don’t need to buy right now, so I’m not upset if someone rejects my offer or my contract gets ROFRd. Anytime you need to do/buy anything, you’re immediately at a disadvantage.

With that mindset, I set a price for what I thought was fair market and tried over and over again to negotiate a bargain contract within my budget. I was told “no” by a lot of brokers/sellers. One rejection I revisited successfully after a couple of weeks of the contract just sitting idle. Others the sellers found someone willing to pay more than my offer. That’s how markets should work.

The brokers will bemoan (and by that I mean ***** and moan about) lowball offers, but at the end of the day, they’d rather close a sale than have a contract sitting in their inventory, or worse have the seller eventually pull out of the market due to lack of activity.

Ultimately, I treat it as a business transaction. No one is in the market to make anyone else’s magical dreams come true. Brokers can be nice enough (and some really are nice people), but if they won’t facilitate completion of the transaction, I find someone else who will.

It’s because we embrace our inner puppy peddler.

I won’t speak for Jerry, as he seems to operate on a whole other plane, but honestly, I think the biggest advantage I have is that I don’t need to buy right now, so I’m not upset if someone rejects my offer or my contract gets ROFRd. Anytime you need to do/buy anything, you’re immediately at a disadvantage.

With that mindset, I set a price for what I thought was fair market and tried over and over again to negotiate a bargain contract within my budget. I was told “no” by a lot of brokers/sellers. One rejection I revisited successfully after a couple of weeks of the contract just sitting idle. Others the sellers found someone willing to pay more than my offer. That’s how markets should work.

The brokers will bemoan (and by that I mean ***** and moan about) lowball offers, but at the end of the day, they’d rather close a sale than have a contract sitting in their inventory, or worse have the seller eventually pull out of the market due to lack of activity.

Ultimately, I treat it as a business transaction. No one is in the market to make anyone else’s magical dreams come true. Brokers can be nice enough (and some really are nice people), but if they won’t facilitate completion of the transaction, I find someone else who will.
Thanks for replying. You're absolutely right that treating it as a strict business transaction and removing the time pressure is the way to go. Continue to mbrace the inner puppy peddler, I will :yoda:

It's a revenue accounting decision. Agents don't have anything to do with it, they are people who work the buyers to get them to buy. They don't do contracts, make business decisions, have anything to do with ROFR or direct waitlists. They are told what to do, when and how to do it. When direct sales at the preferred resort are down, waitlists are filled and older resorts are sold. If they need additional points at a certain resort with a certain UY, they will look for ROFR that meets their allowed cost number.

:earsboy: Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter