• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

***Riding out the hurricane at a Disney resort? Post your experiences here!***

I've just been looking at local radar. Looks like the worst of this will pass through Lake Buena Vista area within the next half hour or so, or maybe an hour at most, and much clearer (at least in terms of precipitation) thereafter. (NB: I am not a meteorologist, just extrapolating what can be seen on the radar.)

Hang in there!

Glad to hear that you are staying positive and have calmed down about it. This can be so infuriating sometimes. ok, putting on my therapist hat (both professional and as a parent who has had to deal with it myself), One thing I have found that works really well is to ask the person to join us in playing the activity. As my child got older, he was able to do this on his own, with my encouragement. I found that most times, the person would join in, especially if I played or remained close. Most times, they just didn't know how to act/be around a child who was outside the norm. Yes, it is frustrating but I chose to look at it like our opportunity to change perceptions and maybe next time that person would take the initiative to interact with someone else. It was also good for my son to work on his social skills.
I applaud you both for your positivity and the way you have dealt with these situations. My "special needs" daughter, turns 36 years old tomorrow. I can hardly believe it. Where have the years gone? She is my youngest of 3 daughters. I have been so touched by all of the people in her life who have honored her this week, with special personal "gifts". Many have gone out of their way to take her to the movies, taken her on a horse trail ride, sang happy birthday to her, have given her balloons and cards. I believe it is because, through her own perseverance and determination, she has become a very special young lady in her own way. Not "special needs", but, truly, a special person. Yes, it has been a long road to get here, but I am just so very proud of my girl, and so grateful for the people who appreciate her and show her they love her. I wish this for you and yours.

I've just been looking at local radar. Looks like the worst of this will pass through Lake Buena Vista area within the next half hour or so, or maybe an hour at most, and much clearer (at least in terms of precipitation) thereafter. (NB: I am not a meteorologist, just extrapolating what can be seen on the radar.)

Hang in there!

Yes, TWC just mentioned it's heading toward Orlando/Kissimmee area.

surel
Sadly some people do not realize that that jeoporadizes not only there safety but others as well. Not everyone has experienced what hurricanes can cause and without experience its quite hard to explain how dangerous it is.
surely people cant not be that stupid to realise how dangerous any sort of hurricane can be, even if they haven't been through one.

Were in the Contemporary 8th floor, theme park view. Wind is strong, wifi is out but we have power. This place has been great. Movies for our girls, discounted food, free arcade. I feel safe and everyone but me is asleep. Looks like about another hour and things will improve.

After going through Ike and recently Harvey, I definitely can relate to what you all are going through. Speaking from experience, you won't get much sleep tonight but you all will be fine and it will pass. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you in Florida ❤️

Hi just watching the weather channel and they are saying several more hours of strong winds and rain. Hang in there and stay safe!

It appears you were brainwashed at some point in your life. FYI there is a place called "California" AND it's in the Continental US. (And in "California" is a magical place called "Disneyland"...)

Haha!! My DH was stationed in California years ago - we've been to visit many times (including DL) - his dream is to move back - unfortunately one of the few places with a higher cost of living than here (that includes both beaches and cities) is there ...
Believe me it's on our maybe list, just waiting for our recent adults to settle

Please everyone remember even if it seems calm do not leave your room until all clear. I'm not sure where the eye is compared to disney's properties.

I'm not encouraging anyone to leave their rooms until given the all-clear by WDW staff, but there's not really an "eye" to this storm anymore. More like a band. Once it's past, there's some trailing precipitation of much lower intensity, and then all clear beyond.

Looking at info on TWC website, looks like between the midnight and 1am updates what would be the center of the storm is moving a little more northwest now instead of directly north. If that keeps up it should slowly move the center of the storm away from Orlando as time goes on tonight.

You'd be surprised and it's not really stupid its just never having experienced it before. It's a way of life for us but for people in the uk and such hurricanes do not happen.

I live in a place which never gets hurricanes. Didn't even know what to expect when I was at WDW last week and started hearing that a hurricane might be hitting Florida. Didn't know what I should be doing. Didn't know how dangerous it could be. Only got prepared because of a friend and after reading the DIS and another Disney forum and some Disney blogs, could very easily have been caught unprepared otherwise - e.g. the thought of losing power or water didn't even cross my mind until I read that this could happen!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter