Refillable mugs going away again?

We buy the mugs not only because we use them when at the resort, but because we might have a bit of an obsession with Disney resort mugs. LOL I still have, and use, resort mugs from 20+ years ago. I like the Aulani mugs and it reminds me of Aulani and Hawaii when I use them.

We buy the mugs not only because we use them when at the resort, but because we might have a bit of an obsession with Disney resort mugs. LOL I still have, and use, resort mugs from 20+ years ago. I like the Aulani mugs and it reminds me of Aulani and Hawaii when I use them.
Yeah, us too! We also use them for coffee and ice tea.

Glad to hear that they’re available again.

It’s sad to see all of the conspiracy theories over something so simple - but sadly, I think the shift from a “long term generational growth” to a “short term profit” focused company will just drive more and more of these thoughts.

Personally, I can’t understand why there were so many mentions of this being a scheme to make more money, and not one mention of “it’s bad to sell an unlimited drink package when many of your syrups are unavailable”.

Yes, many other resorts have soft drink syrups, and I’m sure Aulani did too, but if they were having trouble getting 20% of the syrups, just image how many customers would be upset (and ask for full refunds) when they couldn’t get their 1 favorite drink in the machine closest to their room!

When we went in August there were plenty of outages of specific syrups in specific machines. It doesn’t have to be all syrups or 100% unavailability of certain syrups to create a customer service issue.

Glad to hear that they’re available again.

It’s sad to see all of the conspiracy theories over something so simple - but sadly, I think the shift from a “long term generational growth” to a “short term profit” focused company will just drive more and more of these thoughts.

Personally, I can’t understand why there were so many mentions of this being a scheme to make more money, and not one mention of “it’s bad to sell an unlimited drink package when many of your syrups are unavailable”.

Yes, many other resorts have soft drink syrups, and I’m sure Aulani did too, but if they were having trouble getting 20% of the syrups, just image how many customers would be upset (and ask for full refunds) when they couldn’t get their 1 favorite drink in the machine closest to their room!

When we went in August there were plenty of outages of specific syrups in specific machines. It doesn’t have to be all syrups or 100% unavailability of certain syrups to create a customer service issue.
Well, I’m just glad the mugs are back, since my wife and I will be there in 31 days, as the countdown on my DVC home page reminds me!

Though the last thing I want to do on this thread is start a discussion on Disney‘s business practices, I’m not sure its fair to refer to the company as “short term profit“ focused. The company lost billions and billions of dollars in 2020 alone, so price raises and additional fees to me seem somewhat inevitable. I don’t like them, but I understand them.

What refillable mugs are available at Aulani? We will have our first trip there next spring. I’m a huge fan of the vitamin water, is this available there?

I did notice that when we arrived there was only red Aulani mugs but in the past day or so, green ones have turned up, as well.

Well, I’m just glad the mugs are back, since my wife and I will be there in 31 days, as the countdown on my DVC home page reminds me!

Though the last thing I want to do on this thread is start a discussion on Disney‘s business practices, I’m not sure its fair to refer to the company as “short term profit“ focused. The company lost billions and billions of dollars in 2020 alone, so price raises and additional fees to me seem somewhat inevitable. I don’t like them, but I understand them.
It may be an unavoidable side effect, but many of the actions they’re taking will impact future generations nostalgic ties to Disney.

Price increases have now priced the parks out of the range of their core market. I don’t remember the exact stats, but recent polls show that the people most likely to want to go to the parks, are the people who feel they can’t afford it. pricing to the market segment who is least attracted to your product is a great way to kill your future market.

Customer dissatisfaction with Genie+ vs Fastpass is extremely high. Customers going to the parks are buying it in huge numbers, but mainly because it’s the only way to feel like you’re likely to get the value for your very expensive ticket, especially when you’re a “one and done” visitor. This is definitely driving dissatisfaction with the repeat customers.

Disney closures of the Disney stores in favor of mini stores in Target locations is definitely a profit over branding decision. My Daughter used to love going to the Disney store, and it was a special immersion in the Disney brand. Shopping online, or at Target? Definitely the opposite. Many of the Disney stores were destination locations for fans. They’ve all closed.

There are many examples of decisions during the Iger era which pointed towards long term stewardship of the brand being at least as important as the Annual Report to shareholders. Now - I can’t think of any that could truly be justified for that reason. As a shareholder, I’m really concerned about the long term prospects. 5 years ago, I was a long term buyer of shares for my daughters account. Now, I’ll be watching those shares closely over the next few years.

Hopefully I’m wrong, but I really don’t think so. 😢

It may be an unavoidable side effect, but many of the actions they’re taking will impact future generations nostalgic ties to Disney.

Price increases have now priced the parks out of the range of their core market. I don’t remember the exact stats, but recent polls show that the people most likely to want to go to the parks, are the people who feel they can’t afford it. pricing to the market segment who is least attracted to your product is a great way to kill your future market.

Customer dissatisfaction with Genie+ vs Fastpass is extremely high. Customers going to the parks are buying it in huge numbers, but mainly because it’s the only way to feel like you’re likely to get the value for your very expensive ticket, especially when you’re a “one and done” visitor. This is definitely driving dissatisfaction with the repeat customers.

Disney closures of the Disney stores in favor of mini stores in Target locations is definitely a profit over branding decision. My Daughter used to love going to the Disney store, and it was a special immersion in the Disney brand. Shopping online, or at Target? Definitely the opposite. Many of the Disney stores were destination locations for fans. They’ve all closed.

There are many examples of decisions during the Iger era which pointed towards long term stewardship of the brand being at least as important as the Annual Report to shareholders. Now - I can’t think of any that could truly be justified for that reason. As a shareholder, I’m really concerned about the long term prospects. 5 years ago, I was a long term buyer of shares for my daughters account. Now, I’ll be watching those shares closely over the next few years.

Hopefully I’m wrong, but I really don’t think so. 😢
Not fair to compare Iger decisions with those being made after the company lost billions these last few years. Not sure you grasp the magnitude of these losses, which might call for a current strategy other than “long term stewardship of the brand.” I’m not a Genie+ fan either, but they wouldn’t be selling them at those prices if consumers weren’t buying. And I miss the Disney Stores too!

Believe me, I understand your concerns, they’re mine as well, but I’m not sure Disney prices are going up any more substantially than most every other product in these inflationary times. Disney is also a consumer, a big one, and all their costs are going up too.

Agreed. But a lot of DVC members cheat the system by using the mugs repeatedly on multiple trips, which they justify by saying other people do it as well. Everyone has a different opinion on this, but personally I think it’s dishonest. Not sure how significant a financial hit this represents, but I bet Disney notices this kind of stuff, and maybe that’s a factor as well.
I'm not sure how it's different than someone who buys a refillable mug for a 3 week trip and someone who buys one for 3 4 day trips. Also, they could switch to the Sea World model where you buy a reusable mug (which doesn't expire) and then pay $1 per refill.

Not fair to compare Iger decisions with those being made after the company lost billions these last few years. Not sure you grasp the magnitude of these losses, which might call for a current strategy other than “long term stewardship of the brand.” I’m not a Genie+ fan either, but they wouldn’t be selling them at those prices if consumers weren’t buying. And I miss the Disney Stores too!

Believe me, I understand your concerns, they’re mine as well, but I’m not sure Disney prices are going up any more substantially than most every other product in these inflationary times. Disney is also a consumer, a big one, and all their costs are going up too.
I fully grasp the magnitude of those losses. In the 5 years prior to 2020, Disney averaged $10B in net profit per year. In 2020, they swung to a $2B loss. Yes, that’s a huge loss, but it’s really a blip for a well capitalized (and lightly leveraged) company like Disney. In addition, profitability has quickly returned, with 2021 showing a $2B net profit, even while costs have risen and capacity has still been constrained at the parks and in the theaters. Disney does not need the (relatively) small additional revenue provided by these increases, and definitely not when they’re causing as much negative perception as they are.

Most companies have been much more careful about the perception of price increases or service cutbacks. Disney does not need to increase prices to ensure sustainability of the business, yet they’re raising prices without much concern for the perceived impacts. Pretty short sighted IMHO.

It is interesting to note that they held off on increases in ticket prices to WDW - I can’t imagine they’re not feeling the effects of inflation there as well, but with Universal making major improvements, I’m guessing the competition is more pressing than the need to increase revenue.

I could be way off base - but too much of the recent changes point to charging more / giving less because you can, and not because it’s the best way to provide value to your shareholders and your customers. I guess time will tell.

I'm not sure how it's different than someone who buys a refillable mug for a 3 week trip and someone who buys one for 3 4 day trips. Also, they could switch to the Sea World model where you buy a reusable mug (which doesn't expire) and then pay $1 per refill.
I just wish they’d switch to RFID enabled mugs, so we can end the debate. Of course this is just my opinion, and I know there are plenty of opposite ones, but not sure I’m onboard with rewriting the rules to justify stealing. And carting the cheap plastic mugs back and forth in one’s luggage seems like kind of a pain. But, whatever...it’s certainly not a capital crime and maybe I’m overreacting.

Stayed at Aulani this week and they had they had plenty of refillable mugs in all different colors. However, the machines were frequently out of some flavors (the diet coke/root beer and anything with vanilla would often be unavailable).

That mug definitely gets us in their stores and considering their food over adjacent resort options much more often. We used to walk across the street etc but now we just go to the store to get our refill and food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter