Refillable mugs going away again?

It's not really an upgraded product if there's no soda in it.
Halting mug sales because there's a shortage of syrup coming onto the island strikes me as good customer service.

Continuing to sell mugs despite supply issues would, itself, be Disney ripping off guests.

I know it like you knew freestyle machines weren't compatible with RFID 😅
THOSE Freestyle machines, the ones at Aulani, are not compatible with RFID.

It's like asking why Disney World doesn't plug their buses in to charge at night... Because they're not electric buses. That doesn't mean there aren't electric buses elsewhere in the universe.

I know it like you knew freestyle machines weren't compatible with RFID 😅
I think everyone who has been to Aulani is acutely aware that those refillable mugs aren’t RFID enabled. We’ve endlessly debated the morality of reusing them on separate trips.

I just don’t understand the paranoia surrounding Aulani temporarily suspending sales because of supply chain issues to the islands, or whatever other reason. It seems somewhat pointless.

I think the "totally going away" is just a rumor spread among cast members. It's much easier for the F&B manager to not sell mugs while they're short on syrup than have to deal with complaints later.

The mugs do make money for Disney, more than people would spend on individual sodas, so I imagine they want them back ASAP.

The mugs do make money for Disney, more than people would spend on individual sodas, so I imagine they want them back ASAP.
People have a totally warped idea about what makes Disney money and what costs Disney money. People are saying the same stuff about the slow return of character dining and the (so far) no return of the Dining Plan. They talk about it like Disney is screwing the guests by bringing those things back slowly or not at all. Uh no, believe me, Disney is very eager to start selling you $50 scrambled eggs again.

and yet no other hotel on the island has a ‘syrup shortage’ 🤔
How do you know that? You can't just make stuff up because you want to. How many use the Freestyle machines? Have you called every single one of them and asked? Come on now.

People have a totally warped idea about what makes Disney money and what costs Disney money. People are saying the same stuff about the slow return of character dining and the (so far) no return of the Dining Plan. They talk about it like Disney is screwing the guests by bringing those things back slowly or not at all. Uh no, believe me, Disney is very eager to start selling you $50 scrambled eggs again.
Agreed, especially things with a direct additional cost, like restaurants, character dining, and special events.

The mugs specifically sell well because of the perceived value. You figure $ a day for unlimited soda, that's a deal. But paying $5 for a single soda? Guests end up going across the street and buying a 12 pack, or maybe they'll order one or two over the course of a trip. When I used to work at theme parks, it was the same with the souvenir cups.

I hadn't bought a resort mug since one of my early 2010s WDW trips when I discovered grocery delivery services. Since I have groceries delivered on Aulani trips, I skip the mugs. Plus, I like having beverages readily available in my room rather than constantly walking to drink stations.

Are you in your room more often than poolside at Aulani?
Perhaps there are, as usual, no free chairs poolside generally. Or specifically, at the fictional adult pool.

Bottom line - it’s none of anyone’s business how someone chooses to spend their well earned holiday. Please

What the hell is your problem? I asked a sincere question, politely.

This is a DISCUSSION board. DISCUSSING how we spend our "well earned holidays" is the entire reason this place exists.

Blocked. ✌️
Sincerely, I will get involved when you bully any person who doesn’t share your opinion. Or when you tell me I don’t understand the meaning of a word. Or when you incorrectly state that RFID can’t be used on on freestyle machines. I realize this may be annoying for you - but I will remain.

Sincerely, I will get involved when you bully any person who doesn’t share your opinion. Or when you tell me I don’t understand the meaning of a word. Or when you incorrectly state that RFID can’t be used on on freestyle machines. I realize this may be annoying for you - but I will remain.
Having traded many a lively barb over these last few years, I appreciate the lively discussion. Also, and this shouldn’t be a big surprise, a lot of us are big Aulani fans, though we’re used to seeing it, in my opinion, unjustifiably criticized. And guess what? We defend it!

It doesn’t mean anyone is blind to Aulani’s shortcomings ( I hate that the gym has no windows!), but not having RIFD enabled mugs isn’t one of them.

Are you in your room more often than poolside at Aulani?
Another reason I don't purchase a mug is because I'm at the beach, offsite, or outdoor room patio more often than poolside, which means away from the machine. I have a mini cooler bag for cold drinks, so I'm not constantly running back and forth to the room. I also don't drink sugary or diet beverages, so I don't think I would get my money's worth out of a mug.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter