Raise Your Voice: Guaranteed Booking Categories at SSR

I also think that the current room assignment policy causes the wants you are going for. I think one problem solver started a bigger problem in my opinion. There are things both of us are saying is right. The trick is finding what is best.
I see what you are saying about the more categories making smaller 'pools' of availibilty. If they broke it into too many categories I would share your concern. But if they simply had 3 categories: DTD view, Close to Carriage House, and Everything Else- I don't think it would be a problem considering the size of the resort. One thing is certain, the current procedure has not worked for me yet. I book at 11 months and have yet to get my 1st (CP), 2nd (GS) or 3rd(Springs) choice of location requests. Even when I have offered to wait for a room.

I see what you are saying about the more categories making smaller 'pools' of availibilty. If they broke it into too many categories I would share your concern. But if they simply had 3 categories: DTD view, Close to Carriage House, and Everything Else- I don't think it would be a problem considering the size of the resort. One thing is certain, the current procedure has not worked for me yet. I book at 11 months and have yet to get my 1st (CP), 2nd (GS) or 3rd(Springs) choice of location requests. Even when I have offered to wait for a room.

I'm curious...what time of the year do you go to WDW?

I have enjoyed the views you are wanting guaranteed. I make most ressies at 11 months. I have also made ressies at the last minutes. I have been a DVC owner since 2001 and have made a total of 2 ressies at the last minutes, under 3 months out. So if generated sections are the only way to get all views can be a negative.

But wouldn't you agree that the fairest way to handle this is to give preferential treatment to those who book 11 months out--yourself included? If your first choice is a Downtown Disney room and you have the foresight to book 11 months ahead, it's only logical that you should have a better chance of getting that preferred view.

When you can only book a couple days ahead of time, I assume you will happily take whatever remains. Granted this means that you have virtually no chance of getting the DTD view or close to the Carriage House, but the members who booked sooner deserve to have a better shot at those areas.

Categories is not all pluses. I see more hassle and cost overall for us owners. We do end up paying for this through our dues.

Not true. The only cost increase would be a minor increase in calls to Member Services and more successful waitlist requests (i.e. book "near Carriage House" but waitlist for "DTD View.")

DVC Member Services is funded by a fixed 12% of our dues so even with these changes members should not pay anything extra.

Having categories at the same cost all over will cause some problems. I have seen fellow owners try to change the rules at front desk many times.

If the resorts take a firm stand on the matter, I don't see how any problems would arise. BWV has had categories for Preferred BoardWalk View and Preferred Garden/Pool View for many years now and I don't see people getting "upgraded" to the BW view just because they throw a fit at the front desk.

But if they simply had 3 categories: DTD view, Close to Carriage House, and Everything Else- I don't think it would be a problem considering the size of the resort.

I agree wholeheartedly. The smallest category among those three would be the DTD view. By my calculations, the DTD view would be about 120 rooms Two Bedroom equivalents. That makes it about the same size as the Preferred BoardWalk View category. And I have yet to hear a single BoardWalk owner suggest that the two Preferred categories should be blended back together.

If you put all of The Springs and at least two of The Grandstand buildings in the "near Carriage House" category, that's another 230 rooms--larger than all of the Beach Club Villas. Then you have about 500 remaining rooms in the "everything else" category.

One thing is certain, the current procedure has not worked for me yet. I book at 11 months and have yet to get my 1st (CP), 2nd (GS) or 3rd(Springs) choice of location requests. Even when I have offered to wait for a room.

And that's just not right. No matter how you slice it, an SSR owner who books 11 months out should have some method of securing a room in their preferred area of the resort.

I have enjoyed the views you are wanting guaranteed. I make most ressies at 11 months. I have also made ressies at the last minutes. I have been a DVC owner since 2001 and have made a total of 2 ressies at the last minutes, under 3 months out. So if generated sections are the only way to get all views can be a negative. Categories is not all pluses. I see more hassle and cost overall for us owners. We do end up paying for this through our dues. Having categories at the same cost all over will cause some problems. I have seen fellow owners try to change the rules at front desk many times. I also understand they are less than 10% of owners. I also think that the current room assignment policy causes the wants you are going for. I think one problem solver started a bigger problem in my opinion. There are things both of us are saying is right. The trick is finding what is best.
Like Tim, I don't see any negative other than rewarding those that are members there and plan early. One who doesn't plan early or is not a member there should play second fiddle IMO. And given that SSR is such a large resort and each section is relatively large, there should be no booking difficulty with booking related to the issue unlike say concierge at AKV. And while they could adjust the points relative to each other, I doubt they would even if they did institute booking categories. They will have to have booking cat for the THV as a minimum anyway.

I'm curious...what time of the year do you go to WDW?

All times of year, our last few trips were Christmas-New Years, Early December, Summer, May and October. The last time I was at SSR was an early May trip. I checked in on a Sunday at about 3pm. I ended up in Paddocks. Truthfully, I liked the location pretty well but I would really like to be able to secure a better location, especially when travelling with my dad who has limited mobility.

The main problem with SSR in this regard (it really applies to all resorts to a degree though) is that DVC doesn't put much effort into assignments and does not prioritize them very well or consistently. Marriott, and every timeshare I know of where it's applicable, does a much better job in this area than does DVC and it's a shame because DVC did it fairly well years ago.

TREE HOUSE VILLA VIEW PLEASE!!!!:rotfl2:

:rotfl2: I can hear it now (if THV was considered a 2BR) "I booked a 2BR villa, and they stuck us out, up in a treehouse! We had to walk miles to get anywhere. I'm selling my DVC now!" :rotfl2:

Believe it or not I agree with folks who book first should get their request first. I wonder if categories is the best way. BWV has different point values for the categories. I am saying that if we have categories they should have different point values. I see a different kind of problems if all cost the same. I have more bad luck so to speak getting the "bad" areas checking in early compare to checking in after 3 or 4 PM.:confused3 I have found there is always more than one way to look at things. I am all for any change that could improve things. I am a planner also. BTW my DW uses an ECV due to a very bad knee. It does take some time but the ride from Carousel can be nice on an ECV.I find Grand Stand the easiest area to get to Carriage House. Not as steep a hill to climb. Also first bus stop helps also.

BWV has different point values for the categories.

Standard View is lower but the two Preferred View categories cost an identical number of points. The Preferred BoardWalk View and Preferred Garden/Pool view categories were created around 2002 to address complaints from resort owners. Previously members would just book a room in the "Preferred" category and wouldn't know until arrival whether they were getting the BW view or not.

Again the points are identical and the system clearly benefits BWV owners who have first shot at those BW View rooms.

The same is now true of OKW owners who have a "Near Hospitality House" category which costs the same as rooms elsewhere.

Standard View is lower but the two Preferred View categories cost an identical number of points. The Preferred BoardWalk View and Preferred Garden/Pool view categories were created around 2002 to address complaints from resort owners. Previously members would just book a room in the "Preferred" category and wouldn't know until arrival whether they were getting the BW view or not.

Again the points are identical and the system clearly benefits BWV owners who have first shot at those BW View rooms.

The same is now true of OKW owners who have a "Near Hospitality House" category which costs the same as rooms elsewhere.

We agree.:cool1:

Believe it or not I agree with folks who book first should get their request first. I wonder if categories is the best way. BWV has different point values for the categories. I am saying that if we have categories they should have different point values. I see a different kind of problems if all cost the same. I have more bad luck so to speak getting the "bad" areas checking in early compare to checking in after 3 or 4 PM.:confused3 I have found there is always more than one way to look at things. I am all for any change that could improve things. I am a planner also. BTW my DW uses an ECV due to a very bad knee. It does take some time but the ride from Carousel can be nice on an ECV.I find Grand Stand the easiest area to get to Carriage House. Not as steep a hill to climb. Also first bus stop helps also.
Dave, first I realize your don't feel strongly about this and mostly agree but I'd like to respond to your statements simply to make the point. DVC certainly could change the points values so the more desirable areas are higher and the lessor ones lower but I doubt they would do that. What booking categories would do is allow an owner the chance to guarantee the location and decrease some of the arguments that happen at the front desk related to room location. As Tim pointed out, there are examples where the change was made after the fact and the points were not adjusted (OKW & BWV). IMO the difference from one area to another is not sufficient to justify different points requirements for this suggestion at SSR or for OKW but it is at BWV for the BW view. As I said, I don't see a downside from the members standpoint. The only people who might be adversely affected are the ones that plan later, and IMO, they should be. The other group that's stated an opposition are those that like to be surprised, IMO, that's a crock as an argument against this change as they can be surprised based on what's available when they call. I can't answer for any issues from a computer or reservation standpoint on DVC's side but given it'd by grouped by buildings rather than view or individual unit and we've had other similar changes, I can't imagine it would be an issue in that regard. And while I realize that any change has the potential for adding complexity and therefore cost including the planning and conversion, that should be about as minimal as anything can be for this situation..

I am against having categories at SSR as an owner. If DVC decides for categories please charge more points for DTD views and close to Carriage House rooms. That will make it nicer for us who enjoy the whole resort. I can stay longer in my nice room else where.

I agree with this to a certain degree. I am not willing to pay extra points just for a view or to be closer to the Carriage House. We don't spend a lot of time at our room, yet each time we've arrived (whether early or later) we've gotten a great room at Congress Park. When we arrived this past Sunday around 1pm, we were told that our room wasn't ready (they were going to put us in another area - the Springs I think) and I asked if any other rooms were ready and we got in at Congress Park. Not really a great view, but, like I said earlier we didn't care about the view.

We would rather not have a point system for location and/or views - we enjoy SSR just the way it is. I used to request which area I would like, but now I just make a reservation and let them surprise me. SSR is one of the prettiest resorts and I'm sure staying anywhere on the resort would be great. So I don't want to have to spend more points.

I do think if someone does request a certain area (and they do it ahead of time - not last minute) then DVC owners should get priority. But not by paying extra points.

Everyone has their own opinions about this and this is mine. And yes, I plan on writing and letting the "powers that be" know my views too; and hope those that are against a point system write and let them know that too.

Just my 2 cents.

My main point is I think there can be another way of doing this without categories.

As I said, I don't see a downside from the members standpoint. The only people who might be adversely affected are the ones that plan later, and IMO, they should be. The other group that's stated an opposition are those that like to be surprised, IMO, that's a crock as an argument against this change as they can be surprised based on what's available when they call.

This is exactly how I feel. For me being able to secure a section that I want adds value to my SSR ownership as if I were a BWV owner (I'm not) and securing a BW view villa. The BWV owners obviously were vocal about it and rightly so. It was changed to make the 11 month booking window favor the owners at that resort. Was everyone up in arms when that happened saying
"leave it the way it is, we want to be surprised"? (it was probably before my DVC/DIS time)

My main point is I think there can be another way of doing this without categories.

The only other alternative I can think of would be to grant requests based upon check-in date. That system would have less flexibility since all rooms would have to be pre-assigned before guest arrival. With categories they can still use the Room Ready system--you would get a Room that is Ready upon arrival within your booked category.

It also exposes members to the "squeaky wheel" factor you mentioned in a prior message.

With categories, there is absolutely no wiggle room for CMs to switch guests around If the "DTD View" category is fully booked, they can't move someone into that category on-the-fly simply because he/she screams at the front desk.

Without the categories, rooms should be properly assigned before guests arrive but the CM would still be able to shuffle things around to appease a screamer. Not exactly a preferable system to categories, IMO.

Let me put something out to think about. Say we have a category for DTD view. Does not matter is points are same or not. With the current booking rules of calling in at 11 months of check in day. Lets do Christmas week. Very high want time. I want a room Sunday through Thursday. To make sure I get it I call for Friday through Thursday. At 7 months I cancel the Friday and Saturday nights. A SSR owner who wanted Friday and Saturday for a weekend trip wanted the DTD view and gets only a "preferred view" because of this and a non SSR owner gets those date. How would you feel about that. I know I added a fear that we do not know will happen or not yet. Just something to think about. I still think there has to be a better way. I just want folks to make sure they know there are other things that I can not think of now that may make things worse with this change. I am saying make sure you understand there are downsides to these changes. They may be small enough that categories are a good idea. I am not convinced it is the best way. I will not go a pout over this. If there are categories added to SSR I will use them to meet my wants and needs also. Enjoy guys I think I beat this enough. I hope whatever works out it works great for all of us.

I have stayed at BWV before always preferred. I know I will not be able to get a boardwalk view and that is fine with me. If you read these boards and others there is a big deal about this view always. I understand the need for a category there. I do not understand the need for the standard rooms. A couple of the preferred rooms I was in seem like the standard rooms pics I have seen.

Originally Posted by DaveH
I think we may be in agreement more than you or I originally realized. Any working system that would allow for location requests to be met 1st.come/1st.served based on the date the request was made (not the arrival time on check-in day) would be acceptable to me. If they did this than categories would not be needed. If they said "we are going to try harder to meet requests in a chronological queue but we will not be creating separate categories" I would be open to giving that a try. If people requests were being met 90+% of the time then I would be able to live with that. But with that system, they will have some built in play, or wiggle-room, to reward the screaming jerk at check-in. I would like to squash that possibility and booking cats would be the only way.

Try booking a preferred view at BWV and then screaming, yeling, demanding a view of the Boardwalk at check-in. It aint gonna happen. The reason is the guaranteed categories. (Not that you would do that- just an example :) )

Try booking a preferred view at BWV and then screaming, yeling, demanding a view of the Boardwalk at check-in. It aint gonna happen. The reason is the guaranteed categories. (Not that you would do that- just an example :) )

I bet it does happen. Often not likely. I bet folks do ask if there are any available. ;)

I understood the reason for wanting the cateforeies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter