Raise Your Voice: Guaranteed Booking Categories at SSR

Dean there are times when each of us can not understand another view. Just respect that there are others that do not see categories as a very great thing. I do not see the major need for them but a way to correct failed current policy. If they are the only answer I find less of them more and more of them less. This comes down to what each of us see as an enhancement. I did notice early on you just don't get our view. I know there are other who don't totally understand the need you and others seem to need categories for everywhere. I would rather have a comprise of something between none and all categories than all. I do see more enhancements with a 2 or 3 tier point levels with location categories. We have at WDW 3 resorts with location categories and 2 have tier points. They seem to work better. I have seen just as much problems as well of solving others at OKW. Each resort have there own things that apply to them. We do agree something needs to change.

Who cares? I'm just happy to have a nice place to stay on property. Maybe I'm just a lot more easygoing than most.

Who cares? I'm just happy to have a nice place to stay on property. Maybe I'm just a lot more easygoing than most.

Actually there are some good reasons. One is if you have members of your party that have mobility issues. There are some issues if 1 adult with small children. These are a couple of the reasons. Just like having handicap access rooms. There are needs. To some views are very important. I am against categories but think some requests should be address in a more fair way.

Just posting to reiterate my support of booking categories for SSR. It irks me to no end that non-owners can book at the last minute, arrive early and get a great location while owners can book early, arrive late and wind up anywhere. I prefer the Grandstand and Congress Park, so I would be very happy to know I could guarantee them. If certain areas aren't important to some, then booking categories or no booking categories won't affect them either way. They'd be fine anywhere.

As long as the point values don't change, I'd still love to have booking categories.:wizard:

Just posting to reiterate my support of booking categories for SSR. It irks me to no end that non-owners can book at the last minute, arrive early and get a great location while owners can book early, arrive late and wind up anywhere. I prefer the Grandstand and Congress Park, so I would be very happy to know I could guarantee them. If certain areas aren't important to some, then booking categories or no booking categories won't affect them either way. They'd be fine anywhere.

As long as the point values don't change, I'd still love to have booking categories.:wizard:

I was originally against the idea of categories, but after reading your comment and several others that support booking categories, I'm leaning the other way. If I want to be in a certain section, then I want to know that I can get it when I make my reservations instead of leaving it up to chance when I arrive. I don't want to see any changes in the point values, though. Just create separate categories based on sections (Grandstand, Congress Park, Springs, Paddocks, Carousel). Particular views are not important to me.

I was originally against the idea of categories, but after reading your comment and several others that support booking categories, I'm leaning the other way. If I want to be in a certain section, then I want to know that I can get it when I make my reservations instead of leaving it up to chance when I arrive. I don't want to see any changes in the point values, though. Just create separate categories based on sections (Grandstand, Congress Park, Springs, Paddocks, Carousel). Particular views are not important to me.

OKW has no booking categories and the rules say that request are looked at but not guaranteed. If OKW gets by do we need this at SSR:confused3

OKW has no booking categories and the rules say that request are looked at but not guaranteed. If OKW gets by do we need this at SSR:confused3

OKW does have 2 booking categories - 'Close to HH' and 'Everything Else' (someone correct me if I'm wrong). When you make a reservation at OKW and request to be close to HH (Hospitality House) if that category is available it is guaranteed to you at the time you make the reservation. I'm not sure how many buildings 'Close to HH' encompasses. Obviously, many members were requesting to be close to the main building at OKW or they wouldn't have changed it to make this guaranteed category.

OKW does have 2 booking categories - 'Close to HH' and 'Everything Else' (someone correct me if I'm wrong). When you make a reservation at OKW and request to be close to HH (Hospitality House) if that category is available it is guaranteed to you at the time you make the reservation. I'm not sure how many buildings 'Close to HH' encompasses. Obviously, many members were requesting to be close to the main building at OKW or they wouldn't have changed it to make this guaranteed category.

We couldn't get HH category this past summer when we booked prior because we had a mix of cash and points. So the MS rep. put a note on our ressie for NEAR HH and we got a great bldg. It was bldg 63 and very close.

Agree ... as long as the point values don't change, I don't see how this would create a negative situation. You're going to know at booking whether or not your area if available. If not, you can either book in a different area or not book at all.

With the old system, you had to wait until you got there, and if you're area were not available, what would you do? You'd likely stay where they put you -- I doubt many would pack up and leave at that point.

There really isn't a need to make super specific plans ... if you don't care where you go, you don't need to bother. If you do, you can know from point of booking where you'll be staying. It's nice.

This is a nice way to allow those who book early to get an area they want. If no request is made, then MS can book it randomly or perhaps shift to the less requested area for that period of time.

I really can't see any negatives to this, assuming point values stay the same. And the precedent has already been set with other resorts that this is clearly possible ... sooo ...

OKW does have categories ... they have Near HH and 'Not Near HH'.

I'm not sure what side of the fence I'm on but I do have a questions. Can they just change catagories and points just like that? When I bought into SSR I bought x points giving me x amount of time based on time of year. I think it would totally unfair to tell me now based on where I want to stay I would need to spend possibly more points for? That's crazy. I recall my guide telling me years ago that my home base points would never change.
One other thought.
Someone said there is in fact booking catagories in OKW. Wouldn't that mean it would be listed in the points chart and such like AKV does for its rooms with a view?

I'm not sure what side of the fence I'm on but I do have a questions. Can they just change categories and points just like that? When I bought into SSR I bought x points giving me x amount of time based on time of year. I think it would totally unfair to tell me now based on where I want to stay I would need to spend possibly more points for? That's crazy. I recall my guide telling me years ago that my home base points would never change.
One other thought.
Someone said there is in fact booking categories in OKW. Wouldn't that mean it would be listed in the points chart and such like AKV does for its rooms with a view?
Booking categories does not necessarily mean a difference in points.
Boardwalk View is no more points than regular preferred view at BWV. The same can be said for the locations at OKW. :smokin:

MG

Agree ... as long as the point values don't change, I don't see how this would create a negative situation. You're going to know at booking whether or not your area if available. If not, you can either book in a different area or not book at all.

With the old system, you had to wait until you got there, and if you're area were not available, what would you do? You'd likely stay where they put you -- I doubt many would pack up and leave at that point.

I made this point pages and pages ago, but I think it's worth repeating.

Having categories at SSR should even help availability at other resorts at 7 months. Right now as an SSR owner I have zero advance knowledge of where my room might be. I could get a great Downtown Disney view...or I could have the worst location in the joint. And that's true whether I book 11 months out or 11 days out.

That uncertainty alone is enough to make owners try to switch their reservation to another resort at 7 months. Rather than risk being placed in an undesirable location at SSR, I may call an try to book elsewhere to gain more certainty.

Let's say that I'm buying the Dining Plan. The last thing I need is to be placed in The Carousel at SSR which is 10 minutes away from Artist's Palette. That fear alone would be enough to inspire me to try and book AKV or VWL to be closer to resort restaurants.

However, if I'm able to guarantee a room in the "near Carriage House" category at SSR, then I have no issues and would be very content with remaining at SSR. Even Congress Park may be acceptable due to its proximity to Downtown Disney.

I'm not going to pretend that there are hundreds of people per day making decisions on this basis, but there certainly are SOME members who choose to book elsewhere for this very reason.

I'm not sure what side of the fence I'm on but I do have a questions. Can they just change catagories and points just like that? When I bought into SSR I bought x points giving me x amount of time based on time of year. I think it would totally unfair to tell me now based on where I want to stay I would need to spend possibly more points for? That's crazy. I recall my guide telling me years ago that my home base points would never change.
One other thought.
Someone said there is in fact booking catagories in OKW. Wouldn't that mean it would be listed in the points chart and such like AKV does for its rooms with a view?

As others said, this can be done without changing points.

However, the points can legally be adjusted. The key is that for every increase there must be an equal decrease made elsewhere.

Right now it's 11 points per weeknight for an SSR Studio in Adventure season. If DVC decided that they wanted to raise that to 12 points per night for a Downtown Disney View room, they would have to lower an equal number of rooms to just 10 points per night.

The total number of points in a resort can never change, but the points could be "reallocated" so that certain nights/categories cost more or less than they do today. DVC made some slight adjustments about 10-12 years ago, but nothing since.

I have to say that it would be nice to have lower priced rooms for those who are cheapskates (like me!), but I see the other angle, too. People don't want to hear that they have to pay more for something tomorrow than they did today.

Booking categories would be almost universally lauded. Creating different point schedules would be much more controversial with many being opposed to the move.

I made this point pages and pages ago, but I think it's worth repeating.

Having categories at SSR should even help availability at other resorts at 7 months. Right now as an SSR owner I have zero advance knowledge of where my room might be. I could get a great Downtown Disney view...or I could have the worst location in the joint. And that's true whether I book 11 months out or 11 days out.

That uncertainty alone is enough to make owners try to switch their reservation to another resort at 7 months. Rather than risk being placed in an undesirable location at SSR, I may call an try to book elsewhere to gain more certainty.

Let's say that I'm buying the Dining Plan. The last thing I need is to be placed in The Carousel at SSR which is 10 minutes away from Artist's Palette. That fear alone would be enough to inspire me to try and book AKV or VWL to be closer to resort restaurants.

However, if I'm able to guarantee a room in the "near Carriage House" category at SSR, then I have no issues and would be very content with remaining at SSR. Even Congress Park may be acceptable due to its proximity to Downtown Disney.

I'm not going to pretend that there are hundreds of people per day making decisions on this basis, but there certainly are SOME members who choose to book elsewhere for this very reason.

It seems this enhancement is being requested by an overwhelming number of members ... surprised it's not implemented yet considering how the booking policies changed. :p

Dean there are times when each of us can not understand another view. Just respect that there are others that do not see categories as a very great thing. I do not see the major need for them but a way to correct failed current policy. If they are the only answer I find less of them more and more of them less. This comes down to what each of us see as an enhancement. I did notice early on you just don't get our view. I know there are other who don't totally understand the need you and others seem to need categories for everywhere. I would rather have a comprise of something between none and all categories than all. I do see more enhancements with a 2 or 3 tier point levels with location categories. We have at WDW 3 resorts with location categories and 2 have tier points. They seem to work better. I have seen just as much problems as well of solving others at OKW. Each resort have there own things that apply to them. We do agree something needs to change.
But you haven't answered the direct question as to your planning concern whether it's the unwillingness to make a location choice or to plan enough ahead that your concern for orphaned rooms isn't an issue. Since you agree something needs to be done and the request issue has been well proven not to work, what else is there. Personally I don't care, to me this is an academic discussion but it does seem like the right thing to do for the majority of the members there but no change is going to be good for everyone, some will lose out, though in this situation it seems there will be no or almost no losers other than that those that don't plan ahead or don't own at SSR will get second fiddle, as they should.

Here is perfect example why SSR needs booking catagories: I booked my trip (I checked in last night) about 4 weeks in advance. I requested high floor and grandstand. I also noted on my reservation that I would be arriving very late.

Now due to the fact that I booked so late and was arriving late, I assumed I would get first floor in carousel. Well, I checked in at 10:30pm and I got both my requests! Not only did I get grandstand, I am right next to the pool!!

Now don't get me wrong, I am very very happy with my room. But I am sure there must have been someone who booked before me who did not get what they wanted. I also do not own at SSR. Like I said, I am very appreciative that I got everything I wanted, but I don't really think I deserved it. If I was an owner and booked at 11 months, you should get what you requested.

Here is perfect example why SSR needs booking catagories: I booked my trip (I checked in last night) about 4 weeks in advance. I requested high floor and grandstand. I also noted on my reservation that I would be arriving very late.

Now due to the fact that I booked so late and was arriving late, I assumed I would get first floor in carousel. Well, I checked in at 10:30pm and I got both my requests! Not only did I get grandstand, I am right next to the pool!!

Now don't get me wrong, I am very very happy with my room. But I am sure there must have been someone who booked before me who did not get what they wanted. I also do not own at SSR. Like I said, I am very appreciative that I got everything I wanted, but I don't really think I deserved it. If I was an owner and booked at 11 months, you should get what you requested.
That is a very healthy and considerate attitude, enjoy your stay.

Originally Posted by tjkraz
Having categories at SSR should even help availability at other resorts at 7 months. Right now as an SSR owner I have zero advance knowledge of where my room might be. I could get a great Downtown Disney view...or I could have the worst location in the joint. And that's true whether I book 11 months out or 11 days out. ...
That uncertainty alone is enough to make owners try to switch their reservation to another resort at 7 months. Rather than risk being placed in an undesirable location at SSR, I may call an try to book elsewhere to gain more certainty....
...there certainly are SOME members who choose to book elsewhere for this very reason.
And I am one of them! I love SSR but the location uncertainty has kept me away from home for the past few visits. With categories I would be choosing SSR as my 1st choice about 80-90% of the time.

I want NOTHING to do with booking catagories. I don't want anything that will make it harder to book a room at the resort.

FB

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter