Qualify Time

fredflintstone

Mouseketeer
I am a new runner. I run, but just started entering races. I have signed up for the full Marathon in '18. I haven't run a race with a qualifying time to submit for corral placement. I am signed up for a few races, tomorrow I am doing a 10k (I know this one won't help), but I am wanting to do the Savannah Sunburn half and 10k in September. Can I use that time for the Full Marathon? Can anyone help me in figuring out if this one will qualify me please? I am trying to find one that will count.

TIA

I am a new runner. I run, but just started entering races. I have signed up for the full Marathon in '18. I haven't run a race with a qualifying time to submit for corral placement. I am signed up for a few races, tomorrow I am doing a 10k (I know this one won't help), but I am wanting to do the Savannah Sunburn half and 10k in September. Can I use that time for the Full Marathon? Can anyone help me in figuring out if this one will qualify me please? I am trying to find one that will count.

TIA

Good information can be found on the RunDisney site:

• Proof of time must be provided from an officially timed race reflecting results after January 1, 2016 and must be one of the below listed distances. Runners will be placed in the last corral if the appropriate race distance is not submitted for Proof of Time.
    • Half Marathon – 10K, 12K, 15K, 10-Mile, Half Marathon or Marathon
    • Full Marathon – 10 Mile, Half Marathon or Marathon
  • A valid proof of time provided at the time of registration must include the following*:
    • Name of Race
    • Distance
    • City
    • State
    • Date
    • Finish time
    • Link to Results

*For example, Walt Disney World Marathon, 26.2, Orlando, FL, 1/8/16, – 3:35

• For starting corral placement, proof of time must be submitted by the participant for each individual race.
  • If proof of time is not provided by October 3, 2017, data provided is incomplete or cannot be verified, you will be placed in the last start corral.
  • No corral changes will be made after October 3, 2017.

TIA

One other thing in addition to it being a half marathon, is that you want a race that's results are online so you can "link the results". This is done in case RunDisney chooses to validate your POT (they may or may not attempt to validate it). I wasn't able to find online results for the Savannah Sunburn Half in 2016 in a quick search, but possibly it's a new event to 2017?

One other thing in addition to it being a half marathon, is that you want a race that's results are online so you can "link the results". This is done in case RunDisney chooses to validate your POT (they may or may not attempt to validate it). I wasn't able to find online results for the Savannah Sunburn Half in 2016 in a quick search, but possibly it's a new event to 2017?

Looking into the Savannah Sunburn Half, there are a number of concerns I would have about trying to use it as a proof of time race:

> There is no mention of the course being certified
> Timing is not chip-based, just "electronic non-chip timed"
> No mention is made of official results or there being a website with results
> The race is self-described as "Mostly flat, partially closed and the course provides a relaxed training run."

I could be wrong, but the impression I get from the race website is that it is less an official race and more of an unofficial/uncertified course that has something like a big electronic clock set up keeping time.

If it were me, I'd look for something a bit more concrete to run for proof of time.

Looking into the Savannah Sunburn Half, there are a number of concerns I would have about trying to use it as a proof of time race:

> There is no mention of the course being certified
> Timing is not chip-based, just "electronic non-chip timed"
> The race is self-described as "Mostly flat, partially closed and the course provides a relaxed training run."

I could be wrong, but the impression I get from the race website is that it is less an official race and more of an unofficial/uncertified course that has something like a big electronic clock set up keeping time.

If it were me, I'd look for something a bit more concrete to run for proof of time.

Given this I would agree to look for a different race.

Good luck!! Would Run Disney tell you if the race doesn't count?

Not until you found out at waiver time that they rejected the proof of time, put you in the last corral and it was too late to fix things. That's why it's important to be as sure up front as possible.

Not until you found out at waiver time that they rejected the proof of time, put you in the last corral and it was too late to fix things. That's why it's important to be as sure up front as possible.

That is correct.

I also think camaker is correct in this assessment:

The race I am running does publish results on the web and appear to be a little more official thanthe Sunburn Half. Here's the link, if you're interested: http://www.abac.edu/academics/schools/nursing/outreach/run-for-the-nurses

Its tough to find a POT here in Georgia, since May-September are too hot to have a good race (at least for me).

That is correct.

I also think camaker is correct in this assessment:

The race I am running does publish results on the web and appear to be a little more official thanthe Sunburn Half. Here's the link, if you're interested: http://www.abac.edu/academics/schools/nursing/outreach/run-for-the-nurses

Its tough to find a POT here in Georgia, since May-September are too hot to have a good race (at least for me).

Yeah, I decided to take things seriously a little too late, as far as weather goes! I live in SC and it is proving to be a little harder that I thought it would be to find a race. I think I will end up doing one in NC in September. That way I am not rushed on training, the weather will be cooler, and the time should be better than no time...I think anyway! The full has been on my bucket list for awhile now, but haven't really been serious about it...actually a little scared to do it! Well, the hubby said let's do it and here I am signed up! There is no turning back! After doing a 10k yesterday with 35k other people, I have realized just how important corral placement is!

Thank you guys so much for all your help! I have just started entering races and this is all new to me!

Yeah, I decided to take things seriously a little too late, as far as weather goes! I live in SC and it is proving to be a little harder that I thought it would be to find a race. I think I will end up doing one in NC in September. That way I am not rushed on training, the weather will be cooler, and the time should be better than no time...I think anyway! The full has been on my bucket list for awhile now, but haven't really been serious about it...actually a little scared to do it! Well, the hubby said let's do it and here I am signed up! There is no turning back! After doing a 10k yesterday with 35k other people, I have realized just how important corral placement is!

Thank you guys so much for all your help! I have just started entering races and this is all new to me!

Which one are you planning to do in NC in September? The fall racing season here in NC really gets rolling then. Let me know if I can help with info on any of the races.

Which one are you planning to do in NC in September? The fall racing season here in NC really gets rolling then. Let me know if I can help with info on any of the races.

Well, we decided to do the Marine Corps 1/2! I really liked the September timing, the weather is pretty nice up there, I have some time to train hard, and its about as late as I can go before qualifying. We wanted to keep it as close to home as we could, and this is just a few hours away so we can make it an easy weekend trip. Have you ever done the Marine Corps run?
http://www.mccslejeune-newriver.com/grandprix/mchm/index.html

I live in SC and it is proving to be a little harder that I thought it would be to find a race. I think I will end up doing one in NC in September.

Excellent idea. Always better to head north for a race rather than south. Advice which I never follow!

...actually a little scared to do it!

A little scared is the appropriate attitude. Like 'new job' scared, not like 'car wreck' scared.

Enjoy your journey to 26.2. No matter how many you run, there is nothing as sweet as the first one.

Excellent idea. Always better to head north for a race rather than south. Advice which I never follow!

A little scared is the appropriate attitude. Like 'new job' scared, not like 'car wreck' scared.

Enjoy your journey to 26.2. No matter how many you run, there is nothing as sweet as the first one.

Thanks for the kind words! ;) I am excited and your right on the scare scale. Not 'car wreck' scared for sure!! The more I run, the more confident I feel, even on my not so good run days!!!

Well, we decided to do the Marine Corps 1/2! I really liked the September timing, the weather is pretty nice up there, I have some time to train hard, and its about as late as I can go before qualifying. We wanted to keep it as close to home as we could, and this is just a few hours away so we can make it an easy weekend trip. Have you ever done the Marine Corps run?
http://www.mccslejeune-newriver.com/grandprix/mchm/index.html

I have not run the race there. I was just talking to reps from the race at the RocknRoll Raleigh Expo this weekend, though. Seems like a nicely organized race, though. I have spent quite a bit of time in that area, though. Swansboro is a quaint little coastal town right next to Jacksonville and Emerald Isle has some nice beaches just a short drive away. Definitely a nice location for a race and relaxing weekend around it.

Not to high jack the thread but, @camaker do you know anything about the Battleship half in Wilmington? My DH's brother and wife live in Wilmington and we're thinking about using this as an excuse to visit with them while still maintaining our training for Dopey. Any thoughts or information would be much appreciated. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter