Post family Disney-theme night ideas HERE!

Dinner & a Movie Night
October 9th
Jungle Book

078.jpg

Ab was here for dinner, but had to go to Teen Mass when we watched the movie

We have been tryingfor months to do the Jungle Book movie night...we just never seemed to get it together, so I vowed to get it done since I ordered the movie from Netflixs and it came this week. It is not that I don't like the movie, the time never seemed right and I really wanted the kids to try some Indian food and I just could not seem to pull the menu together. The boys recognized a lot of the voices from other movies we have watched (Baloo...Thomas from the Aristocrats and Kaa...Winnie the Pooh)

Activity:

Paper Folding Tigers & Bears
079.jpg

Kaa Mobiles
python-party-favor-craft-photo-260x260-cl-b1.jpg

I did not get a picture of the Kaa Goo made before the cat decided to play with it...

Dinner:

Kaa Pizza Roll Snake
pizza-snake-halloween.jpg

Baloo Tossed Salad
baloosalad.jpg

King Louie Banana Pudding
kinglouiebannapudding.jpg

A Taste from Mowgli's Home (Chicken Curry, Basmati Rice, Naan Bread and Nariyal Burfi/Indian Coconut Fudge)

curryandrice.jpg

Well at least I can now say I tried to make and eat Curry...

naan.jpg

We loved the Naan Bread....

nariyalburfi.jpg

Thank goodness I had a back up food plan, my family decided that they did not care for Indian Food...except for the Naan Bread. I am sure the REAL thing is a lot better than my humble attempt at Curry and I have to agree that I am not a big fan of the spice cardamom.

Great ideas as usual, momabaarjo. How fun to be able to get together with another family and do the movie nights!

Our latest theme night was Snow White

009-15.jpg

Movie snacks were bunny shaped cheese crackers, fruit gems (fruit snacks) and mini oreos.

003-13.jpg

010-17.jpg

007-12.jpg

I was so happy to find the witch at a stand at a craft show a few weeks ago, I love the Disney villians and there isn't a whole lot of merchandise out there for them.

013-17.jpg

Our neighbors stopped by and joined us for the evening. During the movie the kids did the usual coloring pages and we did a puzzle. Why does every puzzle we own have exactly one peice missing from it?:lmao:

014-11.jpg

016-15.jpg

After the movie we played find the dwarfs diamonds. The kids took turns hiding the gems from each other. They played this until dinner was ready. It's amazing how something so simple can keep kids entertained! The gems we used were paperweights that my MIL got as a gift but she thought they were tacky so of course she gave them to my kids who thought they were cool:thumbsup2

023-13.jpg

026-9.jpg

Dinner was inspired by the dwarfs! We had mini corndogs, mini bagel pizzas, and small bowls of mac and cheese.

029-15.jpg

033-6.jpg

032-3.jpg

Desserts were mini chocolate eclairs and we made candied apples

049-5.jpg

042-8.jpg

041-10.jpg

For a craft the kids painted ceramic figurines

037-10.jpg

050-1.jpg

Love, love, love this thread!!! Its taken me 3 days to read through it all (and take lots of notes on my laptop), but the kids are super excited to start our Disney movie nights...and suprisingly, DH is on board too! I probably wont decorate for all of them, but perhaps a few (mainly b/c of the cost perspective). We have 2 trips booked for next year...one next Oct and one next Dec, so I think I may have to rent one of the Disney Halloween movies and get us started.

Thanks to everyone for all the great ideas!!

I'm having a Girl Scout movie party and we're watching Santa Clause with Tim Allen in it this December.

I know all the normal Christmas crafts but I really want some crafts and food ideas that will go more specific with the movie.

Any ideas?
Thanks for your help!
:santa:

I'm having a Girl Scout movie party and we're watching Santa Clause with Tim Allen in it this December.

I know all the normal Christmas crafts but I really want some crafts and food ideas that will go more specific with the movie.

Any ideas?
Thanks for your help!
:santa:

i love this movie!

one of the special features on the dvd is santa's favorite recipes, and it includes pizza, cookies, and hot cocoa. that would be a cute activity and food idea.

i would make a sign for the front door that says "north pole south," just like the one charlie has on his bedroom door.

you could also play the reindeer antler game. you split the group into teams and give each team a pair of nylon stockings and a 8-10 balloons (just blow them up with a hand pump, and not too much). you put the balloons in each leg then the team leader puts the antlers on her head.

one of my favorite things about this film is the snow globe that charlie gets from bernard. it would be cool to let the girls make their own. there are all sorts of kits available online.

good luck. and have fun. don't forget to share details when you're done. :cool1:

Thank you. Those are great ideas!! I didn't know the DVD had food recipes on it. Thank you and I will be sure to share.

I love the song that Mrs Claus dances to nor the 2nd one. I might have that playing when they come in.

The game sounds fun!
Thanks again for your help.

These are such awesome ideas. we are going to DL for the first time in December and i love the "countdown" idea!princess:

We got back a little over a month ago and already have it bad again! :lmao: We're heading back in Sept 12' for the 3rd yr in a row and this time we're doing AP's!! So to get us there we are doing theme nights thanks to this thread. First night up:
A Bug's Life.....

To start the evening off, we painted Caterpillars made from egg cartons. The girls LOVED this. (My son had TKD practice and couldn't make one). Next up - thanks to the Terminix site - bug masks. Once we had our centerpieces and head gear made we were ready for dinner.

On the menu: Picnic style: Fried Chicken, potato salad, leaves (salad and sour cream and onion chips), caterpillars (grapes on skewers), cocoons (crescent rolls), and lemonade. Dessert was Worms and Dirt of course.

The kids and hubby LOVED this night. They kept saying how awesome this was and we spent all of dinner discussing the next one. We plan on doing one every other week or so.

After dessert, it was movie time. What a great movie - the kids and DH had never seen it and it had been like 10 yrs since I had. Everyone loved it - and DH stayed awake for the whole thing - it must have been good :)

All in all, a very successful night - thanks for all the great ideas - this thread is AWESOME. The only thing new I really could add for A Bug's Life night would be the "cocoons". I actually didn't even start off thinking they were gonna be cocoons, i just made them as a side dish and after they were done cooking, I realized that that's exactly what they looked like! So there you are....our first and certainly not last movie night!

Here are some pics of our night....
The girls hard at work paining their caterpillars...
BugsLifeNight052.jpg

BugsLifeNight054.jpg

Cassidy loving on "Rumplestiltskin" (that's what she named him lol - we had read that today for my 6 yr old's school)
BugsLifeNight063.jpg

Rockin the bug mask
BugsLifeNight067.jpg

My 3 "bugs"
BugsLifeNight070.jpg

The table set with centerpieces and the movie night "poster". The Picnic table cloth is one from my childhood that I love. It was my grandma's and the thing I loved most from her house.... and it's totally 70's but whatever :rotfl2:
BugsLifeNight072.jpg

My bugs getting ready to eat
BugsLifeNight073.jpg

Getting ready to eat with Daddy - had to put this on so you could see the caterpillars to eat....
BugsLifeNight077.jpg

The Bug's Life Picnic
BugsLifeNight078.jpg

Dessert - worms and dirt - Yum!
BugsLifeNight080.jpg

This concludes this evening's festivities...I hope you had fun looking...and I hope I didn't post too many pictures!! :rotfl:

What a fun bugs life movie night...congrats on your very first night...I am sure your children are addicted now!

Dinner and a Movie Night
October 15
Monsters Inc

monstersinc.jpg

Another movie night perfect for the holiday season with the K-Quad cousins...tonight's movie Monsters, Inc. I remember when this movie came out...Boo was a little over and we took him and Ab to the movies. I thought it was so cute that the little girl was named Boo. This movie is a good one...and the voices of John Goodman and Billy Crystal could not be better choices.

Activity:

Laugh Factory Comedy Show

comk4.jpg
comk2.jpg
comjo.jpg

We assigned the kids all to come up with 5 jokes each and we would create out own laugh factory comedy club. The kids had so much fun telling jokes and there were quite a few laughs between the groans!

Draw your favorite character

drawk3.jpg

draw1.jpg

Dinner:

Lunch Bags

lunch.jpg

I went and bought all those fun little things that normally I would not buy for lunches as a treat (individual packages of carrots/ranch dip & sliced apples/caramel dip, mini containers of Pringles, foot long fruit rollups, and juice boxes) and then everyone made their favorite sandwich.

Eye Scream Sundaes

sundae.jpg

sundaek2.jpg

I sat out a topping bar and let the kids go to town building their own sundaes...after all this is movie night!

Dinner and a Movie Night
October 9
The Mummy

mummy.jpg

This afternoon it was a Universal Night, perfect for the Halloween season rapidly approaching...The Mummy. I am a huge Brendan Fraser fan...there is something about his goofy charm that just melts my heart. While these movies are certainly not my favorites that he has done, they are pretty good! I was a little worried of the scare factor with Goo...but he had seen number 3 (probably not a very good parent letting him watch...but I do draw the line with a lot of PG-13 movies especially horror type movies).

Activity:
Egyptian Head Masks

helpingwithheadband.jpg

Goo getting help from Ab on his mask...Ab and Goo just were not into making anything

Dinner:

Mummified Brains
mummifiedbrains.jpg

makingbrains.jpg

Ab Making the Brains

Mummy Dogs, Egyptian Braclets (Curly Fries), Golden Treasure (Mac & Cheese), Rising Sun Drink

dinner-2.jpg

makinmummy.jpg

Goo making a mummy

Cockroatch Clusters (chocolate covered peanut & pretzel clusters) & Desert Sand (vanilla pudding with crushed vanilla wafers)

dessert.jpg

Dinner and a Movie Night
October 22
Tower of Terror

towerofterror.jpg

This week it was the K-Quad Cousins turn to host, and the movie of choice both celebrates Disney and the Halloween Season...Tower of Terror. Their mom was out of town, so their dad (my dh cousin took over and did a great job with the movie night). For some reason, I feel like I have seen this movie, but I can't tell you when or where! It does a really good job on telling the background of the ride in DHS. If you have been paying attention to my trivia game, this was the first movie made based on a theme park attraction. Disney used it to test the waters, to see if people would watch movies based on rides...must of felt like it did because later we got POTC and we all know how that turned out!

Activity:

Ectoplasm Goo

053.jpg
055.jpg
060.jpg
065.jpg

Dinner:

Monster Fang with Goblin Slime (apples and caramel dip)

fangs.jpg

Ectoplasmic Pasta (Green Tinted Chicken Spaghetti)

dinner-3.jpg

Pumpkin Cake Desserts

cakes.jpg

Thanks for the wonderful ideas! We are taking DD on a surprise trip for her birthday in March. We will definitely have some movie weekends before then.

This summer, we are taking the Adventures by Disney trip to the Grand Canyon, Sedona, and Arches Park. Can you think of any fun movies and/or ideas that we can do for that trip? Thanks!

I LOVE this thread!! My mind is on overload trying to sift thru so many great ideas!! :worship: The Incredibles came in for me at the library this week, so it was a bit short notice, but I threw together a movie night for it last night to celebrate booking our Disney trip this week - only 11 months out....LOL

The Incredibles
Oct 28th

For dinner we had Syndrome's Spaghetti & then I made some homemade Kettle corn to munch on during the movie. I think my 3 year old would live on popcorn if we let her. ;) I decided to make the girls superhero capes yesterday morning & they were a hit! My 18 month old didn't wear hers more than a couple minutes (which is unusual for her, since she usually loves wearing costumes & hats) but, thankfully, my 3 year old loves hers & was wearing it again today! :goodvibes

It had been years since we'd watched this one & we enjoyed it, but I think it's a little mature & maybe too intense for my little ones right now. We'll probably wait awhile to try it again.

IMG_5632.jpg

IMG_5634.jpg

IMG_5636.jpg

IMG_5646.jpg

IMG_5665.jpg

A couple of nights ago we had a Nightmare Before Christmas movie night!

IMG_4070.jpg

I decided to have a pumpkin-themed dinner in honor of the Pumpkin King. We had a jack-o-lantern pizza...

IMG_4031.jpg

... a hollowed-out, carved orange jack-o-lantern filled with fruit cocktail...

IMG_4032.jpg

... and mini pumpkin pie bites for dessert! I usually melt some chocolate and pipe on jack-o-lantern faces, but I wanted to use the new pie crust cutters DH got me. :)

IMG_4072.jpg

After dinner, we carved our pumpkin. I know it's not the best picture of the pumpkin, but I wanted to include one DH took with our cat in it. She's mostly black so we call her our year-round Halloween decoration. :)

IMG_4066.jpg

I had printed out some activity cards, but we didn't get to it. They had stuff like "float like a ghost" and "crawl like a cat" and I think my DD (3) would have had a blast (I think we all would have) but we just didn't have time. We're saving it for Halloween now.

So after we carved and lit up our pumpkin, we sat down to watch the movie with our mini pumpkin pies and a glass of hot chocolate with a pumpkin Peep.

IMG_4074.jpg

So Tinkerbell paid us a visit today. Tinkerbell started visiting our house last summer, prior to our DLR trip. Last summer she left a note and a treasure hunt and some little Disney gifts for the kids (Disney pajamas and flip flops), and proceeded to leave little gifts while we were in DLR. Who knows how she got into our hotel room, but she did! And she is at it again! The kids came home from school and found this:

DSC_8043.jpg

Tinkerbell had left some new Cars 2 pajamas on DS's bed, and a Mickey birthstone necklace on DD's bed, and a Cars 2 activity pack on each child's bed. How did she know exactly what the kids would want????

It just so happens that I had food from each country featured in the movie available for dinner. That Tinkerbell must have sprinkled her pixie dust in my kitchen too!!!

Japan:

DSC_8044.jpg

(I forgot about France, so I got some cheese, because you know, French people like fromage, right? No photo of the cheese, though. Cheese is camera shy.)

Italy:

DSC_8046.jpg

It was noted that these foods are all round, like WHEELS!!! Tinkerbell is GOOD at this stuff!

England:

DSC_8047.jpg

That's warm cider with cinnamon. Mmmmmmmmmm.

We also happened to have some car-themed cookies from the auto show, so that was dessert. The kids didn't really work on the Cars 2 coloring books, as they pretty much ate their way through the movie.

It was fun, and I'm so glad Tink paid us a visit! I'm going to try and be more proactive, perhaps inspired by tonight, and do one a week before our trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter