Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

We have our first ever layover this summer flying from Baltimore to San Francisco. How does that work as far as boarding position for the second flight? Will we have two different boarding positions, one for each flight?
If no plane change you won't have a separate boarding position.

If you do have a plane change then yes you will have a separate boarding position however when you check in for your first flight it will check you into your second flight.

Regarding no plane change it can happen that something occurs with the plane causing that to change. We had a layover in Denver back in February on our way to Salt Lake City that was supposed to be a no plane change however in the time in between the flights a baggage cart hit the plane causing a gouge in it and taking the plane out of service and the 12 or so of us on the plane had to deplane and wait in the gate area. They were able to get us a new plane quite quickly (maybe 20 or so minutes) by taking another flight's plane however as none of us passengers had boarding positions for that second flight they let us board the plane first along with pre-boards.

If no plane change you won't have a separate boarding position.

If you do have a plane change then yes you will have a separate boarding position however when you check in for your first flight it will check you into your second flight.

Regarding no plane change it can happen that something occurs with the plane causing that to change. We had a layover in Denver back in February on our way to Salt Lake City that was supposed to be a no plane change however in the time in between the flights a baggage cart hit the plane causing a gouge in it and taking the plane out of service and the 12 or so of us on the plane had to deplane and wait in the gate area. They were able to get us a new plane quite quickly (maybe 20 or so minutes) by taking another flight's plane however as none of us passengers had boarding positions for that second flight they let us board the plane first along with pre-boards.

We have a plane change. Will we have two boarding numbers on our boarding pass/in the app? How will we know the boarding number for the second flight?

That stinks about having to change planes, but I’m glad they were able to get you a new one quickly. Our layover is also in Denver.

We have a plane change. Will we have two boarding numbers on our boarding pass/in the app? How will we know the boarding number for the second flight?

That stinks about having to change planes, but I’m glad they were able to get you a new one quickly. Our layover is also in Denver.
It was the weirdest thing to happen. The FA actually showed us a picture of the gouge on an ipad probably thinking no way we would believe it. Not a normal thing to happen but as far as the people out at the gate waiting to board were told it was "mechanical issues" which is true but what a way to get a mechanical issue on a plane :laughing:

As far as your boarding passes you'll have two different boarding passes and if you're in the app you just swipe to the side to get the second flight. It will have the information for the flight on it so you'll know which is which.

For you your first one will have Baltimore to Denver, your second boarding pass will have Denver to San Francisco. I always take a screenshot of my boarding passes and use that when boarding the plane.

Here's screenshots of our flight back home from that February trip where we connected with a plane change in Dallas

First flight from Salt Lake City to Dallas and you can see up at the top how it shows both boarding passes (I've circled that)

1711580974248.png

Second flight from Dallas to KCI
1711581065861.png

Hopefully this makes sense :)

It was the weirdest thing to happen. The FA actually showed us a picture of the gouge on an ipad probably thinking no way we would believe it. Not a normal thing to happen but as far as the people out at the gate waiting to board were told it was "mechanical issues" which is true but what a way to get a mechanical issue on a plane :laughing:

As far as your boarding passes you'll have two different boarding passes and if you're in the app you just swipe to the side to get the second flight. It will have the information for the flight on it so you'll know which is which.

For you your first one will have Baltimore to Denver, your second boarding pass will have Denver to San Francisco. I always take a screenshot of my boarding passes and use that when boarding the plane.

Here's screenshots of our flight back home from that February trip where we connected with a plane change in Dallas

First flight from Salt Lake City to Dallas and you can see up at the top how it shows both boarding passes (I've circled that)

View attachment 845793

Second flight from Dallas to KCI
View attachment 845794

Hopefully this makes sense :)

Yes, this makes total sense! Thank you so much for explaining it to me. I appreciate it!

About 5 pages back I asked about using credits to buy a flight, then cancel to now get one larger credit instead of bunch of $10 - $40 ones. I've done two flights so far. But I'm having trouble picking which credits to use.

I have say 8 credits. Several have the same confirmation number. I want to use 1, 3 and 7. I put in confirmation number abc and three credits pop up. So abc-1, abc -2, abc-3. I only want to use two of those credits and use a credit from confirmation number xyz.

I click remove to remove abc-2, but all three are removed.

Am I doing something wrong or is that the way it is?

Last edited:
About 5 pages back I asked about using credits to buy a flight, then cancel to now get one larger credit instead of bunch of $10 - $40 ones. I've done two flights so far. But I'm having trouble picking which credits to use.

I have say 8 credits. Several have the same confirmation number. I want to use 1, 3 and 7. I put in confirmation number abc and three credits pop up. So abc-1, abc -2, abc-3. I only want to use two of those credits and use a credit from confirmation number xyz.

I click remove to remove abc-2, but all three are removed.

Am I doing something wrong or is that the way it is?
I've had trouble before doing the same thing. Is it possible to remove abc-2 (which removes them all for abc) and then re-add abc-2? Once I had to use credits in a way I didn't want to because the system wouldn't let me do what I wanted and they couldn't help me over the phone either. I ended up having to combine more credits than I would have liked, but since they never expire, I was able to use them all eventually. It's certainly frustrating when the system doesn't do what it should be able to do though. Good luck!

I've had trouble before doing the same thing. Is it possible to remove abc-2 (which removes them all for abc) and then re-add abc-2? Once I had to use credits in a way I didn't want to because the system wouldn't let me do what I wanted and they couldn't help me over the phone either. I ended up having to combine more credits than I would have liked, but since they never expire, I was able to use them all eventually. It's certainly frustrating when the system doesn't do what it should be able to do though. Good luck!
I may have to take the attitude of combining credits, I'm getting a better deal in the long run, even if I end up with 8 credits of $5 or less.

But I'm the type of person who hunts online for two hours to save $5 on a toy. Yeah, I think I'm hopeless too sometimes.

I may have to take the attitude of combining credits, I'm getting a better deal in the long run, even if I end up with 8 credits of $5 or less.

But I'm the type of person who hunts online for two hours to save $5 on a toy. Yeah, I think I'm hopeless too sometimes.
I have been doing that lately. The system is very frustrating in that you cannot pick which to use in that case. It will not let you use any of the 3 on the same confirmation number separately. I did find some $50 flights from LAX to PHX in the next few months which helped with the smaller credits.

I think I've got the flight credit dance figured out. One of those light bulb moments. Thanks for the help.

Between DH and I , we've gone from about 20 credits to 10. Maybe two more rounds, get down to a few with one or two high value and one or two with a few bucks.. I figure when I do book, I'll do one way flights. Use two credits and a CC each way.

Even if I leave a few with a dollar or two on the account, this thread saved us at least a hundred dollars by showing how to combine them. We would have used the four highest ones and left the rest sitting in the account. Thank you.

For those familiar with Dallas Love Field....
And even holiday travel from Love Field.

When we booked our December trip, we did not recognize at the time we are traveling on the BUSIEST travel day of the year (Sunday after Thanksgiving) to leave our family in Dallas and head to Orlando.

For those who have experience with this airport, you know how small the bag check-in area is as well as the security area.

Our flight is at 6:20 AM. Is getting inside the airport at 4 AM good or should we get there even earlier? Just wondering if a line starts forming well before the Southwest desk opens at 4 AM?! (No, I cannot do carry-on only)

Also, we purchased our airfare with points on the day it was released. It was crazy expensive. I know it is always more expensive on the day it is released and stays that way for a bit. At what point do they start lowering the fare prices? In the past I have started out paying $350 - $400 R/T, but in the end it was about $195 after price drops. I was able to get flight credits or points. I wish I wrote down the dates, but unfortunately, I did not do that. Sadly, I do not have those emails since the previous one was 2019.

When we booked our December trip, we did not recognize at the time we are traveling on the BUSIEST travel day of the year (Sunday after Thanksgiving) to leave our family in Dallas and head to Orlando.

For those who have experience with this airport, you know how small the bag check-in area is as well as the security area.

Our flight is at 6:20 AM. Is getting inside the airport at 4 AM good or should we get there even earlier? Just wondering if a line starts forming well before the Southwest desk opens at 4 AM?! (No, I cannot do carry-on only)

Also, we purchased our airfare with points on the day it was released. It was crazy expensive. I know it is always more expensive on the day it is released and stays that way for a bit. At what point do they start lowering the fare prices? In the past I have started out paying $350 - $400 R/T, but in the end it was about $195 after price drops. I was able to get flight credits or points. I wish I wrote down the dates, but unfortunately, I did not do that. Sadly, I do not have those emails since the previous one was 2019.
I wouldn't expect it to be too busy that early in the morning. As the day goes on it will get worse. I would certainly invest in Precheck if you don't already have it.
I would be very surprised if a flight to MCO on the busiest travel day of the year comes down at all. If you got a WGA fare, the odds that they will reopen and be lower than what you already have is pretty slim. Theoretically it can happen at any time, it all depends on how the flight is selling. Many people are trying to get the first flights to MCO.

I have 2 credits and points in my account, can they all be used on one ticket? How does that work?
Waiting for the next schedule release as we will be flying next February.

I have 2 credits and points in my account, can they all be used on one ticket? How does that work?
Waiting for the next schedule release as we will be flying next February.
No, you can't use credits and points. If you use credits it's a paid ticket and you'd have to use a credit card for the remainder. Award flights must be paid entirely with points. What I've done before is book two one ways, one way with points and the other way with cash.

Award flights must be paid entirely with points. What I've done before is book two one ways, one way with points and the other way with cash.
FYI, this will be changing (says it's "coming Spring 2024.") You then will be able to pay with a combination of points and 'money' (credit card). I'm not sure how that would work with a flight credit (as PP was asking) but did want to clarify that soon (according to the SW website) award flights won't have to be paid using all points.

I wouldn't expect it to be too busy that early in the morning. As the day goes on it will get worse. I would certainly invest in Precheck if you don't already have it.
I would be very surprised if a flight to MCO on the busiest travel day of the year comes down at all. If you got a WGA fare, the odds that they will reopen and be lower than what you already have is pretty slim. Theoretically it can happen at any time, it all depends on how the flight is selling. Many people are trying to get the first flights to MCO.

We purchased our tickets on the 21st of March as well; sounds like we will be on the same flight as you. :D

We do this every year. We leave the Sunday after Thanksgiving and stay for 10 nights. We started flying SWA exclusively back in 2012. I live in the DFW metroplex and am very familiar with SWA and DAL.

The airport is packed with long lines by 5 AM. Around that time the line for bag check-in is looped around 3-4 times (meaning from the area at the bottom of the escalators/elevators to the back wall to your right). Skycaps will not be available until 5 AM; sometimes they open at 4 AM when busy. I have only seen that once. The SWA bag check desk opens 120 minutes before the first flight of the morning, so if the first flight anywhere is 5 AM, they open at 3 AM. You can call the airport to check and they will tell you. Once you get through to somebody, they are quite helpful.

EDIT For security: They have added a police dog, which slows everything down. But, only half of the x-ray lines are required to remove their shoes, belts, iPads, etc. The security line was expanded, but when it is packed, it comes out past the entrance and makes it way back to baggage claim a bit. It is efficient, but long. Bag check-in takes longer it seems because people are not organized, people want to use self-serve and have no idea what they are doing and then the amount of international travelers slows that process down as well. Once you get through checking in your bags, security may take 25 - 35 minutes with a long line.

Hope all of that helps.

I save everything, so I can help give a historical and accurate answer. When flights are released they are typically about $350 - $500 roundtrip leaving on that Sunday. I always get vouchers/flight credits/points back.

2023: Initial price was $406, final price from price reductions was $170

2022: Initial price was $463, final price from price reductions was $279

Other prior bookings, Sunday after Thanksgiving:
2019 - Initial: $378, Final $229
2018 - Initial: $402, Final $279

Also, just a crazy thing...I paid $67 each for a MVMCP ticket 10 years ago and $33 each 20 years ago. 20 years ago, the party offered more.

Last edited:
I don’t always follow this thread so May have missed this conversation but wanted to mention-

Last week when we took our Mears shuttle to MCO there was a secondary SW luggage drop off feet from where our shuttle dropped is off!! No need to drag our luggage through the airport to the other terminal and join the massive line inside the airport!! Our luggage was checked and we were ready to go 5 mins after arriving at MCO via our shuttle.
I was alerted to this option by a notice on the SW app. It’s open 6:00AM - 2:30PM Fri - Mon.

View attachment 792316
so glad to see this, last time we flew SW to MCO it was back when you handed off your bags at the resort and didn't see them until you arrived at your home airport. We are using Mears too.

We purchased our tickets on the 21st of March as well; sounds like we will be on the same flight as you. :D

We do this every year. We leave the Sunday after Thanksgiving and stay for 10 nights. We started flying SWA exclusively back in 2012. I live in the DFW metroplex and am very familiar with SWA and DAL.

The airport is packed with long lines by 5 AM. Around that time the line for bag check-in is looped around 3-4 times (meaning from the area at the bottom of the escalators/elevators to the back wall to your right). Skycaps will not be available until 5 AM; sometimes they open at 4 AM when busy. I have only seen that once. The SWA bag check desk opens 120 minutes before the first flight of the morning, so if the first flight anywhere is 5 AM, they open at 3 AM. You can call the airport to check and they will tell you. Once you get through to somebody, they are quite helpful.

EDIT For security: They have added a police dog, which slows everything down. But, only half of the x-ray lines are required to remove their shoes, belts, iPads, etc. The security line was expanded, but when it is packed, it comes out past the entrance and makes it way back to baggage claim a bit. It is efficient, but long. Bag check-in takes longer it seems because people are not organized, people want to use self-serve and have no idea what they are doing and then the amount of international travelers slows that process down as well. Once you get through checking in your bags, security may take 25 - 35 minutes with a long line.

Hope all of that helps.

I save everything, so I can help give a historical and accurate answer. When flights are released they are typically about $350 - $500 roundtrip leaving on that Sunday. I always get vouchers/flight credits/points back.

2023: Initial price was $406, final price from price reductions was $170

2022: Initial price was $463, final price from price reductions was $279

Other prior bookings, Sunday after Thanksgiving:
2019 - Initial: $378, Final $229
2018 - Initial: $402, Final $279

Also, just a crazy thing...I paid $67 each for a MVMCP ticket 10 years ago and $33 each 20 years ago. 20 years ago, the party offered more.
Very helpful. Thank you so much for all this information. This helps immensely. Do you happen to remember when the prices started dropping for you to obtain those credits?

That is insane that your party was $33 per ticket, and offered more. :(

If you book a Wanna Get Away ticket and pay for early bird, but you switch to an Anytime fare, are you just out the $50 you paid per ticket for early bird since it is included in the Anytime fare?

If you book a Wanna Get Away ticket and pay for early bird, but you switch to an Anytime fare, are you just out the $50 you paid per ticket for early bird since it is included in the Anytime fare?
I have actually done this once before and I sent them a message to request I be refunded the EBCI fees and they did refund me. I don’t know if that’s their policy though or if it was just a one time courtesy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter