Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

I have a question about the companion pass, we booked two one way flights to qualify.
The question is that the companion pass is valid from Jan 4 to March 6. We have a trip coming up Jan 7-15 and have already bought tickets for me and my parents. My parents are the ones that qualified for the CP. When the flights are completed at the end of the month and the companion pass is good for the trip, when can you book the flights with the companion? The representative told us you cannot start booking until Jan 4, but that would seem weird because there would hardly be any flights available. The way we booked our flights now, I used points to help me and my mom on one reservation but my dad on another. If we can save the points, I would like to change the reservation now while the prices are still low, but want to see what others have experienced with these temporary passes.

Thank you

The question is that the companion pass is valid from Jan 4 to March 6. We have a trip coming up Jan 7-15 and have already bought tickets for me and my parents. My parents are the ones that qualified for the CP. When the flights are completed at the end of the month and the companion pass is good for the trip, when can you book the flights with the companion? The representative told us you cannot start booking until Jan 4, but that would seem weird because there would hardly be any flights available. The way we booked our flights now, I used points to help me and my mom on one reservation but my dad on another. If we can save the points, I would like to change the reservation now while the prices are still low, but want to see what others have experienced with these temporary passes.

Thank you
CP is not valid until the first day of the promo period

If I book a reservation prior to January 4, 2023 for travel between January 4 and March 4, 2023, when can I book my Companion’s reservation?​

Once your Promotional Companion Pass has been awarded to your account (January 4, 2023), you can book your Companion’s reservation (subject to flight capacity and availability at the time of booking the Promotional Companion Pass).

If we can save the points, I would like to change the reservation now while the prices are still low, but want to see what others have experienced with these temporary passes.

I'm confused by this part. When you change the reservation, you'll receive the refund of what you paid, regardless of whether prices fluctuate in the interim. Do you need to use the points between now and then and that's why you want them back in the account sooner?

I agree that the CP being bookable 1/4 for a 1/7 flight is very tight. I'd be keeping that January reservation as is so that I know there's a guaranteed seat and only cancelling it when I can book that person as a CP ASAP.

I'm confused by this part. When you change the reservation, you'll receive the refund of what you paid, regardless of whether prices fluctuate in the interim. Do you need to use the points between now and then and that's why you want them back in the account sooner?

I agree that the CP being bookable 1/4 for a 1/7 flight is very tight. I'd be keeping that January reservation as is so that I know there's a guaranteed seat and only cancelling it when I can book that person as a CP ASAP.
Well the amount of points we have it booked now were the lowest we have seen them. I myself am not part of the CP, but I bought my mom's ticket with my points. If I were to cancel that reservation, I am tied to that and would have to book with the difference in price. My mom thinks it is a bad idea to make two separate reservations now because if we are not guaranteed a spot with CP on our flight, then we each have a different confirmation number to check in, etc. Which she does not want to deal with.

On the otherhand, because my dad booked his flight with points so it is on a different confirmation number and the flight was 13,000 points. On Jan 4 if the flights were like 40,000 points, would he have to cancel his 13,000 to rebook with companion for the 40,000?

Well the amount of points we have it booked now were the lowest we have seen them. I myself am not part of the CP, but I bought my mom's ticket with my points. If I were to cancel that reservation, I am tied to that and would have to book with the difference in price. My mom thinks it is a bad idea to make two separate reservations now because if we are not guaranteed a spot with CP on our flight, then we each have a different confirmation number to check in, etc. Which she does not want to deal with.

On the otherhand, because my dad booked his flight with points so it is on a different confirmation number and the flight was 13,000 points. On Jan 4 if the flights were like 40,000 points, would he have to cancel his 13,000 to rebook with companion for the 40,000?
You do not cancel when you add the companion. You keep exactly your reservation, click to add companion, and pay the $11.20 round trip taxes and fees. If you paid $59 for a crazy deal and the only remaining ticket is a $500 anytime, it's still just the $11.20 for a round trip ticket.

As to your mom on your reservation, when she's officially confirmed as his CP, you can call to cancel just her off of your reservation without it impacting the rate that you pay for your portion of the flight. You keep the rate you paid for your ticket when you booked it.

So, in both cases, fluctuating prices don't impact your scenario. You don't have to cancel/rebook at current rate to make this happen, so you don't care about current rate.

You do not cancel when you add the companion. You keep exactly your reservation, click to add companion, and pay the $11.20 round trip taxes and fees. If you paid $59 for a crazy deal and the only remaining ticket is a $500 anytime, it's still just the $11.20 for a round trip ticket.

As to your mom on your reservation, when she's officially confirmed as his CP, you can call to cancel just her off of your reservation without it impacting the rate that you pay for your portion of the flight. You keep the rate you paid for your ticket when you booked it.

So, in both cases, fluctuating prices don't impact your scenario. You don't have to cancel/rebook at current rate to make this happen, so you don't care about current rate.
Thank you

Early Bird Question
I am gearing up to book for the next flight release. I alway buy Early Bird and Wanna Get Away. Do those who buy Wanna Get Away Plus get prioiry in EB over Wanna Get Away? Or is it just who ever books it first?

Thanks!

This is my son’s current flight status. He’s flying by himself for the first time and is kinda panicked that he will get stranded at the airport overnight. I told him to be sure and let all of the SWA staff and maybe call the 1-800 number to let them know that he will be running through the airport “Home Alone” style to make it to the next leg of his flight. I’m just wondering if y’all think they will wait at the gate for them for a few extra minutes. This is the last flight out of Houston tonight.

12E28840-0B14-4646-8131-80B8C19F3CF2.jpeg

This is my son’s current flight status. He’s flying by himself for the first time and is kinda panicked that he will get stranded at the airport overnight. I told him to be sure and let all of the SWA staff and maybe call the 1-800 number to let them know that he will be running through the airport “Home Alone” style to make it to the next leg of his flight. I’m just wondering if y’all think they will wait at the gate for them for a few extra minutes. This is the last flight out of Houston tonight.

View attachment 701215
It honestly just depends if they hold the planes or not. But the gate agents, FAs and pilots would be aware of all of this, they know passenger itineraries and such. Of course it doesn't hurt if he wants to talk to the gate agent in Jackson. It's entirely possible he's not the only passenger either needing that connection.

Our flight Thursday night out of Vegas they held the plane (10-15 mins was the time they notified us we would be expected to depart late for that) because the passengers incoming that were going to be on our plane were landing in Gate B and we were departing from Gate C so they had transit of the trams and such accounted for. That was also the last flight out from Vegas to KC and that flight had already been delayed 15 mins. The flight departing in the gate next to us also held the plane because the FA for that flight was landing in Gate B and the flight was departing from Gate C however an FA for a flight is def. different than a passenger.

View attachment 701215

I have been on a plane (southwest) when they have told us they were holding us waiting on some people to make their connection from a late arriving flight so it is possible they will do that for him.

It honestly just depends if they hold the planes or not. But the gate agents, FAs and pilots would be aware of all of this, they know passenger itineraries and such. Of course it doesn't hurt if he wants to talk to the gate agent in Jackson. It's entirely possible he's not the only passenger either needing that connection.

Our flight Thursday night out of Vegas they held the plane (10-15 mins was the time they notified us we would be expected to depart late for that) because the passengers incoming that were going to be on our plane were landing in Gate B and we were departing from Gate C so they had transit of the trams and such accounted for. That was also the last flight out from Vegas to KC and that flight had already been delayed 15 mins. The flight departing in the gate next to us also held the plane because the FA for that flight was landing in Gate B and the flight was departing from Gate C however an FA for a flight is def. different than a passenger.
Thanks. That makes me feel a little better. I told him to tell everyone he sees to please hold the plane before and during the flight. Last year I flew from Memphis to MDW to MCO and the MDW plane was about to leave us. Like literally closing the door when we came running and screaming to let us on. We barely made it so I know that’s why he is so worried.

I have been on a plane (southwest) when they have told us they were holding us waiting on some people to make their connection from a late arriving flight so it is possible they will do that for him.
Thanks. I hope that’s the case for him tonight. I hope as long as he makes all the staff aware of his situation, that they will wait for him.

Thanks. That makes me feel a little better. I told him to tell everyone he sees to please hold the plane before and during the flight. Last year I flew from Memphis to MDW to MCO and the MDW plane was about to leave us. Like literally closing the door when we came running and screaming to let us on. We barely made it so I know that’s why he is so worried.
It's been since 2013 but I know exactly how that feels coming back from our honeymoon having to go through customs and running to our plane that had the jetway door but not the aircraft door closed us running through the Atlanta airport, etc. Def. got some exercise then!

View attachment 701215
Just following up from my earlier post … the flight got delayed a few more times and there was no way they were going to make the connecting flight to LAS so SWA put them up in a Houston hotel for the night, gave them $200 each in LUV vouchers and booked them on an early morning flight to LAS. My son seemed satisfied with that solution. I then called his hotel in Las Vegas and explained what happened with the flight and they fully refunded him for his room tonight. So all in all, I guess it worked out ok for them.

Just following up from my earlier post … the flight got delayed a few more times and there was no way they were going to make the connecting flight to LAS so SWA put them up in a Houston hotel for the night, gave them $200 each in LUV vouchers and booked them on an early morning flight to LAS. My son seemed satisfied with that solution. I then called his hotel in Las Vegas and explained what happened with the flight and they fully refunded him for his room tonight. So all in all, I guess it worked out ok for them.
Bummer that he got delayed, but thank goodness they didn't blame weather or some other circumstance where they wouldn't have put him up for the night. It sounds like he's getting the best of a bad situation, as the travel delay isn't also leading to added expense.

Thank you
I haven’t fully digested your scenario, but if you keep all tickets and call in once the companion pass is valid the agent should be able to modify the reservation from a points ticket to a CP ticket without canceling anything if the CP holder and Companion were originally booked on the same reservation. (Not sure they could do this if on different reservations but maybe). The points paid for the ticket that is now CP will be refunded. I’ve done this before, although it was a regular CP and not a temporary one. Not sure why it would be different though.

Ugh sorry to hear about the flight and the overnight stay for him but glad SWA got him taken care of!

I haven’t fully digested your scenario, but if you keep all tickets and call in once the companion pass is valid the agent should be able to modify the reservation from a points ticket to a CP ticket without canceling anything if the CP holder and Companion were originally booked on the same reservation. (Not sure they could do this if on different reservations but maybe). The points paid for the ticket that is now CP will be refunded. I’ve done this before, although it was a regular CP and not a temporary one. Not sure why it would be different though.
I will definitely ask them to see if they can modify our reservation if there are seats available. Does the CP only work in the same category. for instance, if we book WGA, we cannot book the companion at the Anytime price?

I will definitely ask them to see if they can modify our reservation if there are seats available. Does the CP only work in the same category. for instance, if we book WGA, we cannot book the companion at the Anytime price?
As long as there is any seat, the companion can be booked. They are not booked at WGA or Anytime or whatever. They are booked at Companion aka just pay taxes and fees.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter