Possible for 2 adults to take only carry-ons??

SeaSpray

Disney World fan since 1976
DH and I are going to Disney World for 4 days in July. I am hoping to be able to pack ONLY carry-ons. What do you pack, for yourself and/or spouse??

Our carry-ons are a good size. They have handles and are on wheels, but still are within the guidelines to be a carry-on.

I figure that since it'll be July, we won't need any pants at all. We are doing a 9-night cruise two weeks before our Disney trip and will have to pack formal clothes for that trip, so I am not going to pack anything other than shorts and shirts for this trip :) I plan on buying a couple of t-shirts while we're there, so that's less shirts to pack. I will wear sneakers on the plane but will pack sandals.

Here's a quick packing list, let me know if I'm forgetting anything!

2 pair of shorts (plus the pair I'll be wearing)
2 shirts (plus what I'll be wearing, and buying)
socks, underpants, bras
bathing suits
toiletries/cosmetics bag
curling iron (I can leave the blow dryer home since there will be one at the WL)
small backpack in place of a purse
rain ponchos (folded up in small sandwich bags)

Same items for DH.

Think we can fit all that into 2 carry-ons? I'll need to make sure I have room for the usual souvenirs such as t-shirts, coffee mugs, etc.

The only thing I can think of is a light sweater or windbreaker, for the A/C in some places. It can be down right cold! *brrrr*

Anything you can put into a smaller container, do it! I visited WDW for 10 days in December, 2004, purchased travel-sized products and transferred my facial moisturizer, eye gel--things I'm finicky about--into tiny containers, probably .5 oz maximum. Used about 1/3 of the facial moisturizer, a dab of the eye gel. More than an adequate supply for the trip! Other than body lotion, my largest container was 2 oz.!

You probably can fit everything you mentioned into one carry-on bag. Split it between the two and you'll have plenty of space for the things you bring home!

If all else fails, you can always stick one of those collapsible suitcases in your carryon to take stuff home. I've found that no matter how neatly everything fits when I pack it, it always expands once I've worn it. Plus, stuff invariably multiplies at Disney. I put clothes in the collapsible and check it on the way home, then suvies and everything else goes in my suitcases.

My rolling upright squeaks by dimensions for carry-on, and I can (over)pack for 6-7 days with it. The only reason that I check my bag is that when the front pockets are loaded, it no longer fits through the template. Also, I don't want to risk straining my back hoisting the darned thing into the overhead before my vacation even starts.

I would pack some detergent tablets (wisk, tide, etc) and whatever else you need for laundry (fabric softenor sheets, etc)

just in case you drop something - (okay I am accident prone....)

Oh forgot - your camera.....

Thanks for the replies! I am optimistic that we'll be able to pack everything in our two small suitcases (carry-on sized). What a relief that will be, to not have a lot of luggage, as usual, to deal with! :)

We always do carry-on, and we go to WDW for at least 8 days! Giant two-gallon zip lock bags are great for increasing space and organizing, I've also hard that the spacesaver bags you can get a Wal-Mart are great! I buy special wicking underwear at a locl outdoor store, just bring two pairs with me...wash one when I'm in the shower and it's dry the next morning, even in humid Florida. Lots of tricks to packing light, but it works!

Glad to see that you're packing DH's curling iron :goodvibes

Seriously, though - I get one of those little duffle bags from Totes (under $10) and they take up teeny space in the carryon. Then if I need to use it for the return trip, I do.

I've bought so many over the years since I end up passing mine along to family members, who never give them back since they are so useful. I also use them if I am on a road trip, and only want to take a few items into the hotel for a one night stay.

I also have a Samsonite carryon which can expand an extra 4 inches widthwize and can become my checked luggage - good for when I buy lots of items, or don't feel like packing neatly for the return trip home.

Strangely, my carroyon gets most filled with toiletries - I am hooked on Bath and Bodyworks and bring every possible item along to make me feel like home.

Shoes are the next biggest item - I wear my regular pair and bring one of my pairs of slides in the carryon so that they take up less space.

One tip to save space on the way home is to bring "disposable" underwear and socks - you know the ones that have one more wear in them? Just throw them out and you will have a little more room in the suitcase. Also, instead of full bottles of shampoo/conditioner, you can use the travel size and leave whatever is left behind.

Oh - remember to pack at least one or two extra plastic bags, just in case you have wet items on the way back home. You never know when you could get caught in a thunderstorm in July and end up having to change in the airport! (its happened to me every year for the last 3 years)

Thanks again for the replies! :sunny:

And thanks for the chuckle, bavaria!!! :teeth: :earboy2:

I actually do use those huge Ziploc bags, I learned that tip right here on these boards a few years ago! They work similarly to the Spacesaver bags; just squish all the air out of them, then zip!

Lots of good ideas from all of you, thanks!! :wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter