• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Port Orleans riverside transport

Tink3rbell86

Mouseketeer
We are planning our trip for this year and trying to decide where to stay. The past few years we’ve stayed at Caribbean beach a few times , music and fort wilderness . This year we are really wanting to stay at riverside, it’s always been one of our favorite and we have so many great memories and nostalgia there. BUT I remember the last time 2 times we stayed we had the worst experiences with the buses. Waiting forever in the mornings for a bus to the park, long lines at night to get back. It was frustrating. How has it been more recently? We’d love to stay there again, but the skyliner at Caribbean beach and the boat at fort wilderness are so convenient. What are your thoughts??

Buses are hit-or-miss anywhere, but strangely enough, we had the best luck with them during our last stay in the mansions using the East depot. Buses would fill up at the West and North depots, and we would get on empty buses before stopping at the South depot. On the return trip, we would pick the shorter line between POR and POFQ. If POFQ, we would just walk back.

We were at Riverside 3-4 years ago around Thanksgiving in a Royal room either went to the depot that was there at the mansions section or the main one at the food court and did not have issues with the buses. If you are that concerned you can always walk over to FQ.

Like a PP above, buses are hit and miss at any resort. So many stories of 1 family saying their buses were bad and another family staying at the same resort and time saying they were great.

I just returned from Riverside over New Years and had a good bus experience. We used the North Depot and always had a spot on the bus. Only once did we have to wait more than 20 minutes for a bus. The lines weren’t bad at the parks in my experience even on New Years Eve. We left Epcot on NYE right after the fireworks concluded and only had to wait for two busses before we got on.

At Riverside now, we usually got on at West or North stop, never a problem with space

busses were hit and miss and frankly I can’t understand their system, on the days we want to go to MK, 3 Epcot busses show up, want to go to HS?…here are 2 Animal Kingdom bus
we waited almost 30 minutes at the Epcot bus stop tonight, 4 French quarter buses came and went 🤷‍♀️ ….after this experience, we might try someplace with the skyline next time. We totally got burned on early entry and Epcot.

we have really enjoyed the resort otherwise, and especially like the 5th Murphy bed so my teen girls don’t have to share a bed

Any recent reports of how early buses start at POR for transport to MK, EP and AK for Early Entry hours? So...for a 7:30 early entry for AK would the buses at POR start picking up at say 6:15 ish? Also, is MDE accurate for buses coming and going?

Any recent reports of how early buses start at POR for transport to MK, EP and AK for Early Entry hours? So...for a 7:30 early entry for AK would the buses at POR start picking up at say 6:15 ish? Also, is MDE accurate for buses coming and going?
We were at POR last week and the park buses were running at least an hour or more before the park opens for early entry hours. I would say that the estimated bus arrival times are a good guess but not always correct, just like all the other resorts. And random buses tend to show up even though they don't appear on the bus board. It also gets tricky because the bus times listed on MDE are for arrival at the South Depot. If you are at the West depot, for example, you need to subtract 10 minutes from the estimated arrival time on MDE app. Sometimes buses will skip a stop if they are full. We were waiting for a bus to AK at the south depot and it never came. I assume that it was full and went straight from the East depot to the park. But another AK bus came just a few minutes later.

We had great bus luck for all the parks during our trip. Just make sure you are extra early for the MK bus. That is the one park bus that gets really long lines. :)

The buses seem to be unpredictable at almost any resort. I once had to wait well over an hour at the YC for a bus to show up for the MK!! That trip, the YC/BC seemed to have the worst bus service of any resort - we had a LOT of long waits with no buses. We have always had really good bus service during our stays at POR. Short answer: I would never base my decision on bus service as it is so variable and unpredictable. That said: If it is in the budget we try to stay somewhere where walking to at least one theme park is an option, but sometimes the budget is value or moderate and then we pick based on which resort's theming appeals to us this time. I haven't stayed since the introduction of the skyliner, though. I expect that would be a big plus for the resorts that now have Skyliner access.

The studios at Beach Club villas is too small for 5 people. I just came back from 7 day trip and we only had 3 people.
The are getting refurbished but until that's done, the pull out couches are not very comfy. I would check out Swan or Dolphin if you want to be central to all parks. Or maybe stay in a good neighbor hotel with a suite or 2 rooms or you could move over to a moderate (I love Port Orleans Riverside) as they have rooms that can sleep 5.

I do think you could add on another parks day too.

Are you for sure renting a car? b/c getting an uber/lyft could get expensive to go to Sea World and Legoland for 5 people.

The buses seem to be unpredictable at almost any resort. I once had to wait well over an hour at the YC for a bus to show up for the MK!! That trip, the YC/BC seemed to have the worst bus service of any resort - we had a LOT of long waits with no buses. We have always had really good bus service during our stays at POR. Short answer: I would never base my decision on bus service as it is so variable and unpredictable. That said: If it is in the budget we try to stay somewhere where walking to at least one theme park is an option, but sometimes the budget is value or moderate and then we pick based on which resort's theming appeals to us this time. I haven't stayed since the introduction of the skyliner, though. I expect that would be a big plus for the resorts that now have Skyliner access.
We, too, had terrible bus service at our last stay at YC! But love the resort and are hoping it was a fluke. Years ago our bus experience at PORS was fine. I think as mentioned above, bus service is probably always hit or miss and unpredictable. Stay where you feel most comfortable resort-wise😁

Is there any advantage to walking to the East stop over South for early entry if I'm planning to arrive an hour early? I know West is first stop, but I hate to walk all the way up there in the morning. This would be for EPCOT and AK.

It surprises me people are saying the busses are getting full in the morning. I'm use to people not getting up early enough to to fill the buses up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter