Old School Chat Rooms

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Who here remembers the days of AOL chat rooms, AIM and other chats as such? If you're not aware, they were basically how ******* is now, except a lot more trolling and people trying to hook up lol. I still have friends that I talk to on occasion from those even to this day

Heck, I remember as a teenager, setting up a computer in the basement to get on BBS.

I am trying to figure out what got censored in the OP though.

I miss the professional forums on Compuserve and Prodigy. I was on AOL for a free trial but never found anything there I liked.
It is amusing how terrified people were of the Internet in the mid 1990's. We only had one computer in the building that could go on the Internet, it was situated so that everyone could see what you were looking at, and you had to log every website you went to, and why.

I remember many years ago when there was a 'chat room' here on the dis,. It opened up like after maybe 8 PM or so for a few hours. Always fun, fast moving.

I was told by a mod that it's not allowed to be discussed here. Just posting the name gets you a warning, at least it did for me.
Just using the word in a sentence, with the context indicating the meaning of the word as not getting along, can get you in hot water. Luckily I previewed my post first, and changed the word to another with a similar meaning before actually posting. I didn’t know why that particular word was a problem. Now, thanks to you, I do.

Just using the word in a sentence, with the context indicating the meaning of the word as not getting along, can get you in hot water. Luckily I previewed my post first, and changed the word to another with a similar meaning before actually posting. I didn’t know why that particular word was a problem. Now, thanks to you, I do.
The mod that gave me the warning knew I was referring to the chatting app rather than the actual term but yeah you shouldn't get in trouble just by using the word according to its actual definition.

I actually wanted to know if there was any DIS lore as to why it's banned. I asked the mod but never received a reply.

Never did much with AOL. But I do remember have been part of other live chat room and used ICU for a time.

I used AIM with my dad who lives across the country.
It was fun for us to chat in real time vs. emailing, we enjoyed it.

I remember going on local bulletin boards back in the day.
It was hard to keep up if the conversation really gained traction,
but mostly it was boring :rolleyes:

I was part of the beta team for the Microsoft Comic Chat, and became a trainer when it became MSN Chat. Wasn't long before I began to see what would become the dark side of things and left the chat platform and about the time I got involved with The DIS. It was fun in the beginning, communicating with people from all over the US and really the world, sad the dark side took over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter