Pop Century Room Renovations

My comments were made in response to the posters plans to complain to Disney about the POP CMs who weren't willing to bend the rules.

I don't think much of the current food plans.
I'm not saying one should complain about the CMs, because I'm sure they're just following orders. But I do believe there's merit in complaining about the lack of consistency. Guests on the same plan should be able to get the same, regardless of where they're staying. And for the pizza, well there's certainly reason to complain there because they didn't honor the terms of the plan. I wouldn't be happy either if they waved the rules in my face at the food court, but then with the pizza order they don't even honor those same rules.

But back to the topic: thank you to those sharing updates about the reno.

Are all the rooms in the 80's complete? We have a standard pool view and would like to request a renovated room in building 9.
I believe all of the rooms in the 80s are done. They are currently working on one of the 70s buildings.

It's actually very rare for a resort to downgrade a guest when they ask for it. So this doesn't surprise me.
We were allowed to do it last year. We submited a request and it didn't fall into our guidelines. When we had booked our bounce back the only option was a preferred room, so we paid it, but when we requested a room that was a standard room, they gave it to us, we didn't ask for any money back for the difference or did they offer. The view from the sixties lake view with the fireworks from holllywood and epcot were worth it.

We were allowed to do it last year. We submited a request and it didn't fall into our guidelines. When we had booked our bounce back the only option was a preferred room, so we paid it, but when we requested a room that was a standard room, they gave it to us, we didn't ask for any money back for the difference or did they offer. The view from the sixties lake view with the fireworks from holllywood and epcot were worth it.

Yes it happens but it is rare. Just trying to set proper expectations for fellow DIS members.

My comments were made in response to the posters plans to complain to Disney about the POP CMs who weren't willing to bend the rules.

I don't think much of the current food plans.
I think it's not about bending the rules, but when they were shown that a desert was involved, because they used two table service credits for the meal they were entitled to the deserts since you do get a desert with a table service meal. Thats my guess.

Just checked out of the 80's section on Sun. I talked to a worker about the rooms in the 70's section. He said they complete 12 rooms a day. They still have a lot of work to do. Some rooms haven't even been touched. They are making progress but it looks like it will take a while.
Pop Century has 2880 rooms. That's an average of 288 rooms per building. If they complete 12 rooms per day, one building would be completed in approximately 24 days. That number is way off, even taking into account any exterior work that needs to be done. Where on earth is 12 rooms/day coming from? (I suck at math, so maybe I'm totally off base?!)

Quick service meals don't include a dessert, even with dinner. The fact that AoA was incorrectly giving desserts doesn't mean it's bait and switch. Why would you complain? Cause trouble for CMs working at AoA
They made mistake with dessert with pizza. You could have made an issue at the time. You were "cheated' out of 2 desserts. Sounds like you "cheated" Disney out of more then 2 desserts at AoA. Disney CMs made mistakes. You came out ahead. Why complain?

Sorry for the confusion but my issue was with the fact that I used TS credits and I still wasn't allowed a dessert. TS credits include dessert just like pizza delivery includes a dessert. It seemed like the staff at Pop has had it hammered home that they aren't to give people desserts without charging a snack credit to the point that they aren't even giving dessert when they should. I'm not trying to cheat the system but I would appreciate the consistentcy when it comes to to what each credit is paying for and what is allowed. I wasn't planning to complain about a specific CM or try to get anyone in trouble I am just hoping that the procedures at Pop can be ironed out to prevent guests from not being given the entitlements with their meals that they should be. It is also rather confusing when each resort or park has diffent policies-that's not an issue of pixie dust but rather an issue with It being frustrating to be trying to get ones meals and not know what you will be charged after standing in line for 15-20 minutes which is actually rather frustrating. Luckily we had a ton of snack credits that we weren't using -we had snacks delivered from Amazon since my son is so ridiculous about always eating the same things (goldfish crackers, peanut butter cliff bars and almond butter biscuits day after day after day) and other than pizza and Mickey waffles he kept picking at his meals or skipping meals entirely which left us with left over snack credits and TS credits at the end of the week.

I even got to enjoy spreading my own pixie dust and paying for other people's meals with my excess TS credits, which was really fun.

I wasn't trying to cheat the system or get things that I hadn't paid for or complain that some people wouldn't bend the rules for me. I just didn't appreciate the confusion and I figured those who do use all of their credits and need to know what they will be charged might get messed up in this situation and end up over spending by accident which can put stress on them and a damper on their vacation. No one want to have 2 days left and not enough credits to cover that time.

I would love to downgrade, but preferred pool view was the only category left when I booked :(

Keep checking. It was the same with me-I booked preferred becuase that was all there was but about 2-3 weeks before my trip a standard opened up and I was able to switch-it didn't save me any money to downgrade but to get a refurbished room I would have paid more.

I would love to downgrade, but preferred pool view was the only category left when I booked :(

It's worth asking. Of course it won't always happen and probably not frequently, but it happened for us this past weekend. We had standard view booked for Sat. and Sun. and decided to go down Fri. but could only get Standard pool view. I called reservations and she called the Pop back office and had them note that I would rather have standard (I didn't want any money back), so I could stay in the same room all weekend. I think probably because I had another room type booked helped with my request, but it's worth trying. I would call reservations before your trip though instead of waiting until you get there.

Us, too! The only thing available for Nov 8-12, was a standard pool view. We really do NOT want to have a pool view, as I always find those rooms to be noisy. I constantly check for something else to open up. (And, there is nothing at all available at any other resort - ugh!)

My phone did not charge very quick in the built in USB ports. Once I used my adapter in outlet it went much faster. I would not forget your adapters.

Thanks! This is a really helpful piece of information.

Quick service meals don't include a dessert, even with dinner. The fact that AoA was incorrectly giving desserts doesn't mean it's bait and switch. Why would you complain? Cause trouble for CMs working at AoA
They made mistake with dessert with pizza. You could have made an issue at the time. You were "cheated' out of 2 desserts. Sounds like you "cheated" Disney out of more then 2 desserts at AoA. Disney CMs made mistakes. You came out ahead. Why complain?

The challenge is that Pizza delivery is 2 TABLE service credits, not QS credits thus it should include dessert.

This is what the Disney website says:
Other Magical Dining Experiences to Redeem Table-Service Meals

Pizza Delivery:
Each Pizza Delivery meal includes:

• 1 Pizza Entrée Item
  • 2 Single-serving Non-alcoholic Beverages (or Alcoholic Beverages, for Guests 21 and older—2018 plan only)
  • 2 Desserts
A total of two 2 adult meals will be redeemed from your meal plan balance for each Pizza Delivery meal. Gratuities are included.

The original poster was quite correct in that their meal should have included 2 desserts. They are in their full rights to contact Disney if a resort is not honouring what they state on their website.

Sorry for the confusion but my issue was with the fact that I used TS credits and I still wasn't allowed a dessert. TS credits include dessert just like pizza delivery includes a dessert. It seemed like the staff at Pop has had it hammered home that they aren't to give people desserts without charging a snack credit to the point that they aren't even giving dessert when they should. I'm not trying to cheat the system but I would appreciate the consistentcy when it comes to to what each credit is paying for and what is allowed. I wasn't planning to complain about a specific CM or try to get anyone in trouble I am just hoping that the procedures at Pop can be ironed out to prevent guests from not being given the entitlements with their meals that they should be. It is also rather confusing when each resort or park has diffent policies-that's not an issue of pixie dust but rather an issue with It being frustrating to be trying to get ones meals and not know what you will be charged after standing in line for 15-20 minutes which is actually rather frustrating. Luckily we had a ton of snack credits that we weren't using -we had snacks delivered from Amazon since my son is so ridiculous about always eating the same things (goldfish crackers, peanut butter cliff bars and almond butter biscuits day after day after day) and other than pizza and Mickey waffles he kept picking at his meals or skipping meals entirely which left us with left over snack credits and TS credits at the end of the week.

I even got to enjoy spreading my own pixie dust and paying for other people's meals with my excess TS credits, which was really fun.

I wasn't trying to cheat the system or get things that I hadn't paid for or complain that some people wouldn't bend the rules for me. I just didn't appreciate the confusion and I figured those who do use all of their credits and need to know what they will be charged might get messed up in this situation and end up over spending by accident which can put stress on them and a damper on their vacation. No one want to have 2 days left and not enough credits to cover that time.
Not everybody viewed this as trying to cheat the system. I think some people didn't see that you were trying to use TS initially when this happened. I think it was just a mistake.

I think someone back on page 170 mentioned they had a rehabbed room with a king bed. Will the king bed rooms have the Murphy Bed? Thanks!

This post has pics of a refurb king room. It does not have a murphy, occupancy is still 2 guests. It does have updated furniture, etc. with a stand alone table and 2 chairs.

Someone recently posted a bunch of pictures of a king room on this message board/thread (post 429).

Enjoy your vacation!

We returned last night from a 3 night stay at Pop, I've got a few thoughts on the new rooms (we've stayed in one once before but only for 1 night for a late arrival).

I had 3 consecutive one night reservations and we didn't have to move thankfully. I got the room directly behind the one I requested through Touring Plans. We were on the 4th floor in a corner room, I didn't hear a peep out of our neighbors. However, you can hear even the slightest sound from the bathroom (toilet/shower area). It's like as clear as if the door was wide open. The fan didn't stay on and even when it was on it didn't do a thing to dampen the sound. It was just DH, DD8 and I so it didn't matter to us, but don't go expecting ANY privacy in the bathroom. The floors get very dirty. Definitely wear some flip flops or slippers if you don't want dirt on the bottom of your feet. The room was very clean otherwise. DD and I got a couple of bruises courtesy of the corners of the murphy bed. The larger beds make the room seem so much more tight than before. The beds are super comfortable! That was the best sleep I've had in a while. The air never seemed to get comfortably cool even though we had it turned down pretty low. Our magic bands never worked consistently. The first day mine and DD's worked and DH's didn't, the second day his worked and ours didn't, the last day no one's worked. That was a big pain.

Unrelated to the new rooms - the food court was unbelievably crowded. One night we wanted to order in room delivery instead of fighting the crowd, but no one every answered the phone. The bus service was great and all the CMs were very friendly as usual. There were several high school cross country teams so the pools and food court were overrun with teenagers.

Overall it was a nice trip. I still LOVE Pop, but I think 3-4 nights there is my max just due to the lack of space. We are probably going to go with a mod for the first part (5-6 nights) of our June 2018 split stay instead of Pop as previously planned.

Hey all, newbie to the forums, but not to WDW. Just booked our trip to WDW, which will be our 4 year old son's first time! We'll be staying in POP the week of January 14, and I know that is the week of MLK day, but hopefully the parks will only be extra crowded for that Sunday and Monday. Loved that the Gift of Magic was basically giving you the 6th day free if you purchased the 5 day park hopper, so we went with that, but declined any dining plan.

I booked a standard room, but would love to get a refurbished room. From speaking with a CM and reading these comments boards, I know I need to call the 407-560-CHAT number to request a refurb room, and that they can't guarantee it. My question is, should I also be requesting a building as well? Obviously, for us, the priority is the refurb and not the building, but didn't know if it was more helpful to request any refurb or the building that has already been refurbished. Apologies if that has already been answered previously, I was reading many of the previous posts, but I'm sure I could have missed something.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter