Poor service because of the DDP?

Originally Posted by wildeoscar

Tips = To Ensure Prompt Service. If you provide the prompt service, you get the tip, or ya don't that is part of the risk of the job... much like coal miners take the risk of a cave in, Soldiers take the risk of getting shot in combat, Mailmen take the risk of getting barked at by dogs. Keep trying to defend your point that servers should make a fair wage, run for office, get a law passed and enforce it, other wise live in the real world where a tip is TO ENSURE PROMPT SERVICE.

Well, not that credentials count for anything on this particular website, but I have lived in a country where tips are not expected, in one where tips are expected, worked as a server, and dine out for at least one meal over 300 days/year. Believe me, I have experience with both service and tipping.

Now, having stated that, I really don't understand this long winded post. The first thing that I question is that is appears to be directed at one of the most rational, reasonable posters here.

I have eaten at WDW as well as DL and DLRP pretty much monthly or more for the last three years, and regularly for about 15 years. Service has always varied, even before the DDP became commonplace. Some locations have a large number of regular or 'old timer' servers, who provide efficient and polite service. Others have regular turnover, or a high number of college program recruits, and therefore may not be as efficient.

Restaurants and guest expectations vary as well. For instance, I am German and don't particularly care for the overly friendly American service style. When we went to Prime Time a few months ago, we told our server that we didn't need the act. She was relieved, and joined us for several interesting conversations throughout the meal, and made a point to thank us for our honesty. If she HAD continued the act, we would have been uncomfortable. Yet other diners may have thought that we were receiving 'bad' service as there was no act.

Everyone has different expectations when it comes to service, as well as the 'correct' amount to tip. Service concerns were raised on this website and others long before the DDP came into play, and will continue to be discussed long after the DDP falls below current usage levels.

Sorry that my original post prompted such a rude response. I thought I was being helpful and practical in "reasonalbe expectations". I am looking forward to the DDP so that my whole family gets a chance to try different things without fear of paying-for-something-they-didn't-like. My mom is already saying she likes the idea of the plan so she can spread her tummy-wings.

I personally don't intend to miss a meal. (hehehe ok smartypants.... what movie is that from?)

I personally don't intend to miss a meal. (hehehe ok smartypants.... what movie is that from?)

I have no idea, as I apparently live inside a paper bag when it comes to popular culture, but that's MY motto as I go through life! :rotfl:

princessofcandles said:
Which smartiepants? Me? Okay, fine... "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes".

We just got back from a week at POR with free dining, and only had one experience of anything less than fantastic serving. And in fairness to the waitress, she was dealing with a huge family at the next table with very limited English skills (no trying to be offensive at all, it just made the ordering very tricky on everyone's part) and children that spilled about 4 drinks over the course of the meal. She was quite frazzled, poor thing. Ever other server was great, and all asked right after they introduced themselves whether we were on a DDP. They were super helpful, always letting us know what we were entitled to. And there were no restrictions at any of the places we went to, which were Concourse Steakhouse, Coral Reef, Mama Melrose's twice, Planet Hollywood, Boatrights and Hollywood Brown Derby. I even went so far as to talk to a manager and fill out a compliment card for the permanent record of Todd at Mama Melrose's. He was absolutely perfect, and we tipped him an extra $20 over the 18% included with the plan.

I've used DDp 3 times.

I have had bad service because a tabe of 12 people sat in my server's section and acted like they couldn't read :lmao: when it came time to order.

Also I've had slow service when it looked like my server was covering too many tables (maybe someone called in sick, short staffed, big noon time rush)

I've never had bad service because of DDP, but I've seen normal everyday resturant problems occur at Walt Disney World just like they do in my home town.

Seems every 4th server is a dud /personality wise (not everyone can be a star)...but I seem to get 3 good one's for every dull one :)

I like the DDp... and it's been too sucessful, that why Disney has to change it (more $$$) for 08

princessofcandles said:
You Win!!! I love that line!!!
Ah, cool! What do I win? No, wait, don’t tell me, let me guess! Hmm… a self-expenses paid trip to Walt Disney World?

Markstudy said:
I have had bad service because a tabe of 12 people sat in my waiters section and acted like they couldn't read when it came time to order.
Disney’s going to have to start putting photographs on its menus, like Denny’s does ;)

Ah, cool! What do I win? No, wait, don’t tell me, let me guess! Hmm… a self-expenses paid trip to Walt Disney World?

Nope - Disney is going to pay YOU to go to WDW. You're the first recipient of the DDDDDP - Disboards Deluxe Disneyworld and Disney Dining Program :rotfl2: :lmao:

Just returned from Disney using the DDP for 6 days and I do not have one complaint about any table service we received anywhere!

:surfweb: We did the DDP in 05 and 06 and found the service to be great. We've had sit down meals at Le Cellier, Alfredo di Roma, Maya Grill, Shutters, Character meals, dinner and breakfasts at a number of different places and always found the service to be great. We even tipped above the DDP cause we didnt know how much Disney was giving the poor kids
:wizard:

We even tipped above the DDP cause we didnt know how much Disney was giving the poor kids
:wizard:

I also gave an extra tip

Good workers, work hard and get rewarded with extra tips. If I was a young person working there...I'd still work hard just to try and get that extra tip.

:surfweb: According to the Boards here, the 2008 DDP does not include gratuities so it appears as if this is a concern of the past:confused:

Unfortunately, we have too on two different trips.
Once at Liberty Tree with our kids, The server never asked if we wanted more of anything and just brought dessert. She didn't clean up our plates and made a comment about my son making a mess on the floor under his highchair. I always clean up when we eat out, it's a mental thing, I even wipe the tables. So I never planned on leaving the macaroni under the 1 year olds chair. She was lucky we were on the plan because I wouldn't have left her much of a tip with her attitude.

Then on another trip that was just me & DH for our 10 year anniversary at Le Cellier. We were excited about this meal and the greeter saw our anniversary buttons and asked how long and how to spell our names so we thought just maybe we will get something nice. We were the first people seated in the restaurant for lunch and we didn't get our food for over a 1/2 hour, the people seated next to us had a different server and they were served before us and they weren't on the DDP. Plus, we didn't even get a boo from our server about our anniversary no less a nice dessert. Maybe it was just the server but we really wondered if it had to do with the plan.

Just returned from Disney using the DDP for 6 days and I do not have one complaint about any table service we received anywhere!

Yipee!!! :cheer2: Now that's what I like to hear!!! Glad you had a great DDP experience!!

We had a wonderful experience with the DDP during our trip from August 5-
13. The wait staff was wonderful and very helpful with my mom who is a celiec. We tipped every waiter but one extra over what we paid for on DDP.

The food was excellent and we weren't treated any differently because of being on the DDP. The waiter at 50's Prime Time did ask me what color the soap was.;)

When my DBF and I go down to WDW in December, we're using DDP. It works out very well for us.

:)

Just wanted to

I'm so glad to hear the positive reports from this year so far - I'm hoping for the same. (We leave on Thursday :banana: ). To the poster who mentioned bad service at LTT - that was where we had our worst experience last year. We're trying it again, because we love their lunch menu (esp. the crab cake appetizers), but I am expecting better service OR ELSE :lmao: !

Do I have to tell them I am on the dining plan?

If it's not required to disclose it then it's not important to server how I pay.

I like the idea of saying we may pay OOP on this meal.

If I get good service I will tip even if it is included. Bad service has no re-course they get the same amount. I would prefer to leave them guessing

I think they ask if you're on the dining plan in the beginning to make it easier when ringing up your bill. Typically, they put in what you order on your ticket after they take the order.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter