Poly Tower decision and RIV restrictions

I think at this point DVC is painting themselves into a corner and it could all come back to bite them in the rear if they don’t tread carefully. This almost smacks of too many cooks in the kitchen or no cohesive plan from executive to executive. They really should come up with a solid plan and make it known in very clear terms which direction DVC is headed. And then STOP CHANGING COURSE. If Disneys main business model was pissing off their customer base then the stock would be at all time highs!

I can kinda make the case of why Disney needs resale restrictions moving forward. And it was my reasoning on why I thought it would be a separate association and be restricted. You have a bunch of 2042 resorts declining in price and will continue to do so, as well as SSR contracts for sale all over the resellers sites under $100/pt. Who would buy $250+ pts to a new build when you can "in theory" get resale pts from an unrestricted resort and book some of the newer locations at 7 months without much issue (PVB, VGF, etc)?

When we toured Riviera and VGF in August, I knew about the resale restrictions but didnt let on to it. Never once did a guide bring up the restrictions when he was trying to do a comparison of the 2 direct options.... And we did a very long tour of both resorts. We did ask about Poly back then, and his opinion/guess was same association because of how they did Animal Kingdom and VGF and that the only reason CCV and BRV were separate was the amount of time in between the associations. Kinda makes sense, but who knows at this point.....
SAME, in August at the RIV! They never once brought up the restrictions. I bought resale at AKL after we left...

I can kinda make the case of why Disney needs resale restrictions moving forward. And it was my reasoning on why I thought it would be a separate association and be restricted. You have a bunch of 2042 resorts declining in price and will continue to do so, as well as SSR contracts for sale all over the resellers sites under $100/pt. Who would buy $250+ pts to a new build when you can "in theory" get resale pts from an unrestricted resort and book some of the newer locations at 7 months without much issue (PVB, VGF, etc)?
I agree with this, and it makes it hard for me to understand why most would buy pvb2 points direct rather than resale, other than for those who want the blue card.

I agree with this, and it makes it hard for me to understand why most would buy pvb2 points direct rather than resale, other than for those who want the blue card.
I don’t get it either. Add to that, the thing hasn’t even hit the market yet and the demand for 1 and 2 bedroom is already insane! Seems a pretty big gamble for direct purchase if larger rooms are a must. Makes me think the dues for Poly are headed for a hike once people think that part through

Well, maybe I’ll be viewed as an irrational Riviera owner by some. We were told, at purchase, that any new construction would have the same restrictions. This is a new construction. Heck, its not even finished yet. I totally got why GF and the the DL guts and refurbs were not new associations. This one smacks of a bit of a bait and switch. It wouldn’t be as much of one if there was anything else in the pipeline that was completely new. The cabins are a refurb so I don’t understand why they would be a new association either.

I guess it just feels like DVC didn’t really think through the marketing strategy for this. Okay, its obvious there was no strategy in positioning this. I completely get why everyone else is excited about this announcement. I’m excited to see the rooms as well. But I would be straight up lying if I said I didn’t feel a bit bamboozled by their assurances on future new construction
I empathize!!! Did they say “new construction” or “ new resorts”?

I empathize!!! Did they say “new construction” or “ new resorts”?
New construction. It was verbal, and nowhere in writing. I get that it means it was never legally binding. It just smacks a bit. Kinda makes it feel like there is no end in sight for Riviera sales when the only resorts coming out are in the non-restricted and less expensive point lane. Makes resale (if needed) even harder and less valuable than with just the restrictions alone. And I got the strategy for the restrictions when it appeared there actually was a strategy. Only DVC can clear that part up, and their official announcements on this have been as clear as mud

New construction. It was verbal, and nowhere in writing. I get that it means it was never legally binding. It just smacks a bit. Kinda makes it feel like there is no end in sight for Riviera sales when the only resorts coming out are in the non-restricted and less expensive point lane. Makes resale (if needed) even harder and less valuable than with just the restrictions alone. And I got the strategy for the restrictions when it appeared there actually was a strategy. Only DVC can clear that part up, and their official announcements on this have been as clear as mud
If I were a RIV or VDH owner I would be pretty miffed as well. I hate the resale restrictions. I really like RIV but haven’t purchased there because of the restrictions. I would have loved RIV points though. Your direct RIV points will be usable everywhere though, including VDH, CFW, and PVB and everywhere else, plus you have home resort advantage at RIV which is going to be more and more necessary. RIV is a beautiful resort and not that big so it’s key to have points there if you want to stay there. I still haven’t ruled it out despite the despicable resale restrictions.

I totally got why GF and the the DL guts and refurbs were not new associations.
DL did end up being new association with full restrictions like RIV.

I can understand your disappointment with how this is being handled.

There is no going back if Poly Tower is offered same association and unrestricted.

If I were a RIV or VDH owner I would be pretty miffed as well. I hate the resale restrictions. I really like RIV but haven’t purchased there because of the restrictions. I would have loved RIV points though. Your direct RIV points will be usable everywhere though, including VDH, CFW, and PVB and everywhere else, plus you have home resort advantage at RIV which is going to be more and more necessary. RIV is a beautiful resort and not that big so it’s key to have points there if you want to stay there. I still haven’t ruled it out despite the despicable resale restrictions.
It truly is a beautiful resort❤️, I love the product that DVC offers. Don’t regret buying in as a member for a minute. Just wish their marketing was a bit more clear…or clear at all. I also hate that the community seems to have become so divided as a result. Directs vs Indirects, Riviera owners vs Legacy owners….they have created a Sneetches type situation where none needed to have ever existed. If they got more ahead of the game on these types of things, it would go a lonnnnnnnng way

DL did end up being new association with full restrictions like RIV.

I can understand your disappointment with how this is being handled.

There is no going back if Poly Tower is offered same association and unrestricted.
My bad…I misspoke on the DL part. And a big YUP on that last part

The perception they gave is different than what DVD is legally bound. They left themselves room to pivot but what do they expect those who bought or are considering Direct properties in recent years to think? Restrictions are nearly meaningless. Less reason to buy direct. Restrictions left RIV and VDH out to hang as being the sole 2 DVC associations with the highly undesirable single resort resale restriction.

I think at this point DVC is painting themselves into a corner and it could all come back to bite them in the rear if they don’t tread carefully. This almost smacks of too many cooks in the kitchen or no cohesive plan from executive to executive. They really should come up with a solid plan and make it known in very clear terms which direction DVC is headed. And then STOP CHANGING COURSE. If Disneys main business model was pissing off their customer base then the stock would be at all time highs!
BINGO!!! And this is my whole point. Their positioning on marketing strategy is really lacking a whole lot. Well, that is if any cohesive strategy truly exists. Not terribly good PR
I'd encourage you to email member relations and DVC member satisfaction alongside Bill Diercksen to share your views. I've sent through a strongly worded email myself. This is feedback they need to know.

Not just the blue card - the ability to book the new resorts (RIV, VDH, Ft. Wilderness, future "new" resorts.) I also think it's smart for DVD to have the ability to go back and sell direct at unrestricted resorts. It allows them sway those who are looking to add-on to go direct (at special pricing.) There are plenty of examples this summer of people deciding to add at VGF when the pricing was close enough to resale (with the bonus of the new resorts, blue card, ability to buy sorcerer's pass, etc.)

Sell the restricted resorts to new purchasers, but also have an unrestricted one to sell direct and tempt add-ons. It's a better strategy than say ROFRing a bunch of points to sell direct (and owe on the dues,) whereas with a new add-on to an existing association - DVD can declare as they sell and rent out the rest for cash.

I mean, that's a pretty good deal for the "pro change" side of the wager.

"Pay up, it hasn't changed!"
"It hasn't changed....yet."

With apologies to Strouse and Charnin: "🎼Restrictions will be dropped, to-mor-row! Bet your melted mickeybar that tomorrow, there'll be none!"

Not just the blue card - the ability to book the new resorts (RIV, VDH, Ft. Wilderness, future "new" resorts.) I also think it's smart for DVD to have the ability to go back and sell direct at unrestricted resorts. It allows them sway those who are looking to add-on to go direct (at special pricing.) There are plenty of examples this summer of people deciding to add at VGF when the pricing was close enough to resale (with the bonus of the new resorts, blue card, ability to buy sorcerer's pass, etc.)

Sell the restricted resorts to new purchasers, but also have an unrestricted one to sell direct and tempt add-ons. It's a better strategy than say ROFRing a bunch of points to sell direct (and owe on the dues,) whereas with a new add-on to an existing association - DVD can declare as they sell and rent out the rest for cash.
This is a good way of putting.

Restrictions aint dead folks. CFW will definitely have them. Thats the carrot (or stick if you think the other way) for direct points. Sure you can buy used poly points right now and get into the shiny new tower, but you wont have access to RIV, VDH, or CFW, or whatever is the next new one, something where reflections was gonna go probably.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter