Poly Tower decision and RIV restrictions

I have a question for those more knowledgeable in other timeshares. Let’s say Riviera retains its ding ding resale restrictions. Could they make future DVC (the one coming who knows when with the trust) like other timeshares out there that have an upcharge to book at other resorts? Like trading that use year into another “resort week” for a fee? I know RCI does this. I may just have a dedicated week from them, inherited from my dad, which he bought as a resale (don‘t ask why). Everything has a flipping fee with RCI, but It is very much part of their program. I guess the better question is….are there programs out there that don’t allow this fee based trade?

Selling RCI is like ridding oneself of an albatross, as their offerings are so wide, everything has a flipping fee, and frankly…..not many buy one resale (unless you were my dad). I can very much see DVC retaining more resale value in dedicated contracts with this feature though. There are less resorts, one desired vacation destination (for the most part), and buyers definitely could want a dedicated home resort with a trade fee feature

Can anyone tell I’m still mulling over that 10 day window to cancel my recent contract just a little?
BVTC is the DVC counterpart to RCI and is in charge of the 7-month exchange process. My understanding is that BVTC could impose fees and could also implement different points charts for 7-month exchanges - for example, a BWV Standard view studio for tonight, December 11, 2023, is 10 points. The BVTC could make it 15 points for non-BWV owners. And charge a fee for it. Will they do that? Who knows?

And as an owner of other timeshares, I know exactly what you mean about RCI fees! Almost $300 to book an exchange, $100 for a guest certificate so our daughter can stay - it’s crazy and discouraging.

BVTC is the DVC counterpart to RCI and is in charge of the 7-month exchange process. My understanding is that BVTC could impose fees and could also implement different points charts for 7-month exchanges - for example, a BWV Standard view studio for tonight, December 11, 2023, is 10 points. The BVTC could make it 15 points for non-BWV owners. And charge a fee for it. Will they do that? Who knows?

And as an owner of other timeshares, I know exactly what you mean about RCI fees! Almost $300 to book an exchange, $100 for a guest certificate so our daughter can stay - it’s crazy and discouraging.
And if you have to pool use years…they have a fee for that too! Waiting for them to have a fee to just log into their site

I totally agree. When I bought my Riviera contracts, it was with the understanding that future resort offerings would also have similar restrictions. That doesn't appear to be the case in reality. I definitely wouldn't be buying a Riviera contract right now. Although truth be told, until we learn more about the potential Trust, I wouldn't be buying any contract, directly or resale.
Here's the thing, they were never clear about what "future resort offerings with similar restrictions" means. Does anyone have this in writing somewhere when Riviera restrictions were first introduced? The way it's playing out is "All new-to-DVC" resorts with 50-year contracts have restrictions, not necessarily new builds.

Although truth be told, until we learn more about the potential Trust, I wouldn't be buying any contract, directly or resale.
This is how I feel right now. I still regret not purchasing more VGF than I already did during the summer sale. I have been looking at resale contracts and I am hesitant to make an offer with so much uncertainty.

Here's the thing, they were never clear about what "future resort offerings with similar restrictions" means. Does anyone have this in writing somewhere when Riviera restrictions were first introduced? The way it's playing out is "All new-to-DVC" resorts with 50-year contracts have restrictions, not necessarily new builds.
I think we’re all coming to this understanding and most of where our complaint lies. It should have been clear from the start. Maybe we read into it at the time of purchase but it seems like most of us RIV direct owners felt it was presented as a surety that future new resorts would have them but the reality is more like you’ve said “resorts with 50-yr contracts have restrictions, not necessarily new builds.” We should have asked for the definition for what future resort offering entails, I guess.

I think we’re all coming to this understanding and most of where our complaint lies. It should have been clear from the start. Maybe we read into it at the time of purchase but it seems like most of us RIV direct owners felt it was presented as a surety that future new resorts would have them but the reality is more like you’ve said “resorts with 50-yr contracts have restrictions, not necessarily new builds.” We should have asked for the definition for what future resort offering entails, I guess.
DVC also switched gears. Had COVID not happened we may have never seen the BPK flip or Poly Tower happen. Reflections would have been on sale.

I don't think it makes a difference. Disney is going to define what Disney wants to define when it works in the best interest of Disney. 🤷‍♂️

I also think at the time Disney did indeed intend to restrict future resorts. Their plans and goals changed. Since there doesn't appear to be any overarching business model, they're simply throwing **** out there to see what sticks. It's a bad way to do business.

I don't think it makes a difference. Disney is going to define what Disney wants to define when it works in the best interest of Disney. 🤷‍♂️

I also think at the time Disney did indeed intend to restrict future resorts. Their plans and goals changed. Since there doesn't appear to be any overarching business model, they're simply throwing **** out there to see what sticks. It's a bad way to do business.
It's really not so different than owners from pre-2016 assuming everything would be the same, direct or resale. That was the first big change...

It's really not so different than owners from pre-2016 assuming everything would be the same, direct or resale. That was the first big change...
Hey I’m not disagreeing I totally hear you. I’m sure people were really upset when the resale restrictions were introduced with Riviera, rightfully so. It completely changed the system that has worked so well for nearly 30yrs. But you’re right, Disney will do what is in their best interest even is that upsets their most loyal clientele because most of us will continue to stick around regardless. We are “Disney adults”, are we not? 😅

Last edited:

The RIv POs uses the term “future resorts”. So, of course, it was implied it would be everything from that point.

But, as pointed out, because DVD choose to add BPK to VGF and are choosing to add Poly tower in some way to PVB, they can claim those are not future resorts.

The messaging for almost two years was the Poly tower may indeed become a future resort because when asked they said “ it’s not decided”, again implying they were considering it for a new association

Hey I’m not disagreeing I totally hear you. I’m sure people were really upset when the resale restrictions were introduced with Riviera, rightfully so. It completely changed the system that has worked so well for nearly 30yrs. But you’re right, Disney will do what is in their best interest even is that upsets their most loyal clientele because most of us will continue to stick around regardless. We are “Disney adults”, we not? 😅

And for me, as a diehard direct buyer, this flip flopping makes me realize…and it should others that they are not as committed as it once apppeared they would be, especially when they did add restrictions to VDH.

So, if I am new buyer who is debating, maybe gamble that the next new project will become an addition to something else vs a future resort.

Booking issues are to be expected with every DVC association.

What I am talking about by capacity is Polynesian resort property overall. People do not seem to understand, once tower opens the Polynesian (DVC + hotel) will have a maximum occupancy just under SSR. On top of that, there are thousands of day visitors to the Polynesian resort for meals, drinks, etc. Prior to tower, there were already problems with things at Polynesian. Tower does appear to add a quick service restaurant and a quiet pool. However, this doesn't solve problems with only one feature pool (slide for kids), table service meals will have even more competition, worst of all may be transportation.

People who own at VGF have also pointing out the monorail problems caused by the tower addition because the resort monorail stops at Polynesian first. Also, at present Polynesian and VGF share buses most of the time with Polynesian being the first stop.

Wonder if they would ever limit resort amenities to guests only. It is totally overcrowded as is, I feel like they have to do something.

Wonder if they would ever limit resort amenities to guests only. It is totally overcrowded as is, I feel like they have to do something.
I think that limiting beach access during the fireworks would go a long way toward reducing the evening crowds. It's just too easy to get a dole whip, watch the fireworks, then take the path to the TTC to beat the crushing hoard of people exiting MK at the end of the night.

I think that limiting beach access during the fireworks would go a long way toward reducing the evening crowds. It's just too easy to get a dole whip, watch the fireworks, then take the path to the TTC to beat the crushing hoard of people exiting MK at the end of the night.

I grew up going to the Poly but I thought things were quite busy last May. A little too busy for my tastes.

Will the new tower have a beachfront for viewing? New to DVC and may be interested in the new tower. When do these go on sale?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter