Poly Bellhops-Do we have to use them?

Cleokitty

Mouseketeer
We are going to the Poly in Sept and have heard that bellhops take your luggage from your car to your room. Is this required? We have never used bellhops before and have always handled our own luggage, but then again we have never stayed in a deluxe resort at Disney.

I prefer to handle my own luggage and wondered if I will be able to do so while staying at the Poly.

Anyone else have experiences with this?

Thanks,
Kim

Hi,

Is it a matter of tipping? or that you just don't want anyone handling your things?

You are not forced to give up your luggage and you can keep it if you like to.

Personally to me, the bellhops are such a relief - to get rid of everything after dealing with it all day from the flights.. etc

Keep in mind it could be a fair walk to your room - and you don't know really where you are going - the bellman also takes you to your room as a guide there.. sometimes they use the golfcarts and drive you :D

Also if you are checking in early your room may not be ready and the bell desk will have to store your bags for you anyway.

I have seen lots of people handling their own stuff... but I really enjoy the bell services and always have 5.00ready to gladly give out to them.. after all - I'm on holiday.

>>^..^<<

You can handle your own luggage. Assuming you have your own car, just pull into the parking lot and park instead of pulling up in front of the Poly then go inside to the registration desk and check in and get your room keys. You can take your luggage to your room yourself when your room is ready. If you pull up in front of the Poly where the bell hops are it will be pretty hard to keep them away from your luggage as they will tend to grab it from you. You can also take your luggage to your car yourself when you check out instead of calling for help. Now if you are being driven there by a towncar, you may have trouble avoiding the bellhops. We had one bellhop at the Beach Club who insisted that all our luggage would fit in the trunk and he kept trying to force it in even though we told him it wouldn't all fit.

It's not a matter of tipping. We're not at all familiar with "procedure" at the deluxe resorts; we've always stayed at the moderates until this year.

Also, we will be getting in from a 14-hour ride and usually there is stuff ALL OVER the van. The kids will have rearranged whatever they can get their hands on. Maybe I can just request that they take just the "official" pieces of luggage (vs. the stuff strewn all over the van). :teeth:

Since you are driving you can just park in the guest parking and leave all your stuff in the car. That way you can walk to the lobby, check in, see if your room is ready, walk to your room and check it out, then go to your car and get your things later.

If you pull up to the entrance they will put your bags on a cart, give you a claim ticket with the # of bags you have, and then store it until your room is ready. Once it's ready you would go out to the bell desk and they would drive you and your luggage over to your room on a golf cart. :) OR, if it's going to be a long wait, you can go to the parks and come back later to get your room. While you're gone they will store your luggage, as well as any refridgerated items, and then bring them to your room once you get back.

When we stayed there in 1999, the room was ready. The bell hop loaded us and the luggage in a cart and gave us a tour of the grounds on the way to our room. Drove by the marina, main pool, quiet pool and all.

I was in your situation on our first trip to Poly. Drove down from NY and the Van looked like a tornado hit the inside of it. We just parked in the parking lot, then went inside to register. I went back to the van and organized it as best as I could then went to the bellhops who drove us in the golfcart-type vehicle out to the parking lot to our van, loaded what we wanted, then drove us around the resort a short bit to show us things, then on to our room. Great service.

Your room could be rather hard to get to from the parking lot with a lot of luggage. They will show you where to park, follow you to your car in a golf cart and load up everything. Even the stuff laying all over the van. Everyone's van looks like that after a long drive. They're used to it. :D

If you pull up in front of the Poly where the bell hops are it will be pretty hard to keep them away from your luggage as they will tend to grab it from you.

I really don't thing the bellhops are all that aggressive about snagging your luggage. I haven't stayed at the Polynesian, but at the YC it's just expected that if you pull up in front, you want valet/bellhop service. At many of the resorts if you aren't using valet/bellhop services you aren't allowed to park up front...even for the amount of time it takes to unload your car.

We drive a long distance as well and the van is always a mess too. On our last gas stop in, we usually straighten up a bit and get everything we'll need to take inside back where it belongs. They've always seemed to be very patient though as we dig through our stuff trying to find that one bag that has hidden itself along the way! I agree, they see cars everyday that look like they've been lived in! It's no big deal to them.

It's so nice just to fall out of the car and let Disney take care of everything! Nevermind that the walk from the regular parking lot can be a hike in some resorts! The luxury of just not having to deal with hauling the luggage around is well worth what it cost in tips.;)

We've stayed at the Polynesian many times. My husband prefers to handle the baggage himself. Figures that $10 can be spent elsewhere I guess. He has checked in while we waited in the car, checked in while I parked by Rapa Nui, I have parked and checked in and then had the bellman take me to the car (don't tell my DH) on an occasion when I didn't think the room would be ready, dropped the luggage with the bellman and then called for it to be delivered to the room when I got in it, etc.. They truly understand service at the Polynesian and will cheerfully accomodate you.

Originally posted by TigrLvsPooh

If you pull up to the entrance they will put your bags on a cart, give you a claim ticket with the # of bags you have, and then store it until your room is ready. Once it's ready you would go out to the bell desk and they would drive you and your luggage over to your room on a golf cart. :) OR, if it's going to be a long wait, you can go to the parks and come back later to get your room. While you're gone they will store your luggage, as well as any refridgerated items, and then bring them to your room once you get back.

Oh, how lovely!!! I was thinking of what a nightmare it would be to drag all of our stuff thru the lobby while trying to hang onto the kids.

If the room isn't ready when we check in, then will they tell us where they are going to put us? I thought I read somewhere (it's a big web out thee--LOL) that they would put the luggage in the room for you??

If our room isn't ready when we check in , and one bell hop will be taking our luggage to storage, and then another bell hop will be taking our stuff from storage to our room, how much do we tip each one (don't want to be cheep or a chump)?

TIA

Southerner.... what is it with us??? I'm just one of those people who makes excuses for my house (raising 3 little ones ages 8,5,4) even when it's really in impeccable condition!!! Sorry I'm stereotyping about myself here- but we rented a van to take a road trip to the beach and back and I was so embarrassed to have the valet park the van because of all the popcorn, raisins, you name it all over the floor- but I can guarantee you they've seen worse- don't even try to tidy up at a gas station before you go- I would suggest you pack the trunk or back of the vehicle with the suitcases that don't need to be touched then just pull up and open that portion- you can organize the rest as you're waiting for your room....
So enjoy your trip- we'll be there 9/23-9/30- I CAN'T WAIT!!!! So excited to see the Poly for the first time!!
Tara

Imhall2000

Too funny!! I am the exact same way!

We will be at the Poly 9/17-9/23 so we'll just miss you. Our first trip also! On 9/23 we'll probably still be in the parking lot when you are checking in--trying to figure out how to put everything back in the car so that there is room for the kids on the way home!

Anyway, I feel better everyone. Thanks for all the responses. I won't worry so much now about letting them grab the bags for us. We can always come back to the parking lot later for all the toys, coloring books, etc. But, I will probably try to tidy up A LITTLE before we pull in so that we don't all just tumble out when we finally open the doors!

This is too funny. I had the same concerns on our Dec. trip. It was also our first time at a "deluxe" and I was so nervous. We also drive from NJ with 3 kids and I don't really have a set of luggage (we love the extra large duffle bags from LLBean). I also tend to "overpack" so we really have alot of stuff.

When you drive up to the Polynesian the man at the main gate will ask to see your reservations and I.D. He will direct you where to park and it is very clearly marked. We left everything in the car and checked in. Our room wasn't ready so they gave us a telephone number to call and we headed to the parks for a couple of hours.

When our room was ready we returned to the resort, went to the desk out front and told them we had already checked in. The bellman and cart drove us to our car, was very helpful and patient as we unloaded our belongings (including pillows, stuffed animals - all those necessities for a long drive) and they took us to our room. It really was very fast (DH did help - he is not one to just stand around).

Check out was the same. Called the front desk for a cart, loaded it up and they brought us to our car. The only thing I have learned is to ask at check in to be shown on the map where our room will be. I had asked to be near the beach end of Tokelau and we ended up being the farthest room on the opposite end (really a minor detail but a little disappointing).

Have a great trip and relax.

If the room isn't ready when we check in, then will they tell us where they are going to put us? I thought I read somewhere (it's a big web out thee--LOL) that they would put the luggage in the room for you??

If our room isn't ready when we check in , and one bell hop will be taking our luggage to storage, and then another bell hop will be taking our stuff from storage to our room, how much do we tip each one (don't want to be cheep or a chump)?

When you check-in just ask which building and room # you're getting and they should tell you even if it's not ready. (I think??) Usually our rooms have always been ready when we check-in. The only time we had to wait was at OKW. They gave us a card with a phone # on it to call and check on the room.

They will not put the luggage in the room unless you are there. I think the reason behind this is so they can double check with you that all your bags are there and everything is accounted for. So you'll probably either ride to the room with your luggage on the golf cart, or call to have your luggage sent up when you get back to your room from the park. Depending on the situation with your room being ready, etc.

As far as the tipping goes I think my husband usually gives the bellman at the car a tip and then also gives the bellman at the room a tip because it's usually not the same person. But I'm not totally sure if that is what everyone else does.

We too are about to visit a deluxe for the first time and will be driving. My SIL who is flying and has two rooms will be checking in the same day. Due to us being the one driving I'm hauling many, many twleve packs of colas and bottled water, coolers etc. so I'm definatley going to need a bellman. (I work as one in college, nobody likes the term bellhop, was once referred to as a "tote boy") Anyhoo I'm going to have a ton of stuff, enough snacks and drinks for two families for a week. Going to the Yacht Club, should I park and then let the bellman come out to the car, I think I'd be embarrassed for people to see all the crap I'm bringing in. I'll probably have enough twelve packs to make a pretty impressive display. Can he get all the stuff I've got on their cart?

I'm glad to know that our van is not the only one getting trashed while driving on vacation.

I was really embarrassed when we used valet services at the GF when the kids did the Pirate Cruise. But I'm sure they have seen it all.

This year I'm going to try really hard to keep it clean. DH is bad about maps and papers all over the front of the van.

Felt like the Beverly Hillbillies venturing to Disney World.

Going to the Yacht Club, should I park and then let the bellman come out to the car, I think I'd be embarrassed for people to see all the crap I'm bringing in. I'll probably have enough twelve packs to make a pretty impressive display. Can he get all the stuff I've got on their cart?

No, I wouldn't park first. Really, they've seen everything and they just don't care. Tip them nicely and they'll care even less. Don't let the idea of staying at a deluxe intimidate you. If he can't get it all on one cart, he'll get another one.

Besides, you're just adding work for the bellman if you have him walk all the way out to your car to get your "crap";) .

Thanks, Peachy. I just don't want to look like the Beverly Hillbillies rolling in...
"Hey what are they doing here? They musy have gotten one of those POFQ closing upgrades."

Bob (I'm not worthy!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter