Please help Me Think Through This

KyleAfterAWhile

DIS Veteran
I am planning a trip for 2019 (next year, not this year)

I am vacillating between February, May and November.

The main goal is to book a trip with lower crowds. (specific request of one of the members of the party for this part of the family to go) I am not concerned about decorations, events, parties, etc. Just lower crowds.

I know in years past, these 3 months have had some great days, but the economy is doing so much better and as a result, there are not any "slow times" like there once was. Also, with the opening of Toy Story and Star Wars in Disney Studios, I feel that the crowds will be greatly impacted during that time. The Christmas parties for 2017, as well as the parks in general, were busier than expected in early December. Could have been vacations being re-booked because of the hurricanes or because Disney sold more tickets than normal, but I think things are just picking up.

So here is what I am trying to think through....

Feb 2019 could be impacted by the opening of Toy Story
May 2019 could be impacted by the opening of Toy Story and the Flower and Garden Festival.
November could be impacted by the opening of Toy Story, Star Wars and the Christmas party.

What was considered slower times may not be slower once these new areas open in these parks. I know some people think only DS will be impacted, but I doubt that. I am pretty sure all of the parks will feel the impact.

May I have the thoughts of the experts? I know some of you are there all of the time.

May will be a whole year after Toy Story opens, so hopefully crowds will not be as impacted. I would NOT choose anything right after Galaxy's Edge opening, as I would assume incredible crowds. Plus, November also has F&W which brings in mad crowds.

I think if you can go in February during an off-week (not President's Week!) crowds may not be too bad.

My expectation is this: There is no slow time of the year. Now then, with that given in place, consider what time would work best for you as far as getting time off, travel (weather is a concern sometimes for travel at certain times of the year), and the weather that will be expected in Florida.

I would go with Feb or May DEPENDING on which dates in those months you are choosing.

For me later Feb after Presidents week OR early to mid May, closer to Memorial Day the more crowded it gets.

As PP poster noted TSL will be almost+ a year out and no impact, I don't think Flower and Garden create the crowds that Food & Wine do ... but SWL opening (which we just don't know) could be a game changer.

I would pick February (just not presidents day week) or early May. November is probably going to be bonkers with star wars (assuming it opens on time)

If crowds are your biggest concern, I would make sure to go before Star Wars opens. I think it will be insane for quite a while after that.

Make sure your family member knows that you will do your best to go at a "lower" crowd time, but that there is no actual "low" time anymore, so they need to be prepared for that. A good plan will mean you do just great and have a wonderful time.

That said, I would do early May, as I think crowds would be similar to February, but better weather.

If you're looking to experience Star Wars Land, you would have to wait til November and the crowds will be even bigger than Pandora. If Star Wars Land is not in your plans, February is an amazing time of year to go. We booked Dec 3-7, 2018 for MVMCP and the Candlelight Processional. Let us know what you decide!

Any of those months should be similar, if you avoid the holidays within.
But, the crowd level will differ more within a given day than within any of those three months.
Get there at rope drop, stay until early afternoon. Take a resort break. Return in the evening until close. You will get more done in the first two hours and last two hours than the rest of the day combined.

I would go with Feb or May DEPENDING on which dates in those months you are choosing.

For me later Feb after Presidents week OR early to mid May, closer to Memorial Day the more crowded it gets.

As PP poster noted TSL will be almost+ a year out and no impact, I don't think Flower and Garden create the crowds that Food & Wine do ... but SWL opening (which we just don't know) could be a game changer.

First of all, always trust HopperFan. This advice is spot on.

If swimming and/or traveling light is concern I would choose early May--the weather is a bit more predictable during that time of year.

I am planning a trip for 2019 (next year, not this year)

I am vacillating between February, May and November.

The main goal is to book a trip with lower crowds. (specific request of one of the members of the party for this part of the family to go) I am not concerned about decorations, events, parties, etc. Just lower crowds.

I know in years past, these 3 months have had some great days, but the economy is doing so much better and as a result, there are not any "slow times" like there once was. Also, with the opening of Toy Story and Star Wars in Disney Studios, I feel that the crowds will be greatly impacted during that time. The Christmas parties for 2017, as well as the parks in general, were busier than expected in early December. Could have been vacations being re-booked because of the hurricanes or because Disney sold more tickets than normal, but I think things are just picking up.

So here is what I am trying to think through....

Feb 2019 could be impacted by the opening of Toy Story
May 2019 could be impacted by the opening of Toy Story and the Flower and Garden Festival.
November could be impacted by the opening of Toy Story, Star Wars and the Christmas party.

What was considered slower times may not be slower once these new areas open in these parks. I know some people think only DS will be impacted, but I doubt that. I am pretty sure all of the parks will feel the impact.

May I have the thoughts of the experts? I know some of you are there all of the time.
February non President's Day Weekend is your best bet, but there really is no such thing as "off-season" anymore. Especially now that they have the Festival of the Arts thing at Epcot January to February, Flower and Garden behind that. Sprinkle in Marathon Week, Pro Bowl week, and sports comps like Gymnastics/Cheer Leading, Disney has found a way to always keep things going on all year round now. Are there days here and there where the crowd levels are lower statistically? Sure, but it's almost unnoticed to the actual park guests IMO. The only times I've noticed a significantly thinned crowd was on 2 separate occasions; one in January in 2014, and again in September 2016 and both days the weather was awful. Steady rain the entire day. If you have a guest that has no interest in going because they do not like crowds, I would suggest they just not go to WDW. At least not to the theme parks...

February non President's Day Weekend is your best bet, but there really is no such thing as "off-season" anymore. Especially now that they have the Festival of the Arts thing at Epcot January to February, Flower and Garden behind that. Sprinkle in Marathon Week, Pro Bowl week, and sports comps like Gymnastics/Cheer Leading, Disney has found a way to always keep things going on all year round now. Are there days here and there where the crowd levels are lower statistically? Sure, but it's almost unnoticed to the actual park guests IMO. The only times I've noticed a significantly thinned crowd was on 2 separate occasions; one in January in 2014, and again in September 2016 and both days the weather was awful. Steady rain the entire day. If you have a guest that has no interest in going because they do not like crowds, I would suggest they just not go to WDW. At least not to the theme parks...
Also we have been the last week of May into the first week of June two years in a row now (going again this year for the 3rd year), and we feel as if it isn't too bad. Of course that is relatively speaking as far as Disney crowds go.

In my opinion I would choose either the first week of February, or the first or second week of May. As others have already mentioned about November, Star Wars will overcrowd Disney World without a doubt.

Good luck with your decision. February will still be pretty chilly in the evenings potentially, so if you’re wanting to do any water parks or swimming at resorts keep that in mind. May will be more predictably Florida weather.

People have given great advice already, but honestly if your sole concern is crowds unpredictable weather is your best friend, my vote is Feb. Lowest crowds I've ever seen was in the middle of a hurricane, we were some of the only people crazy enough to brave the parks!

In 2019, Presidents' Day is late. Would earlier in the month for 2019 make more sense?

We would either do like the 2nd week in May or Feb 5 - 12.

Last edited:
February non President's Day Weekend is your best bet, but there really is no such thing as "off-season" anymore. Especially now that they have the Festival of the Arts thing at Epcot January to February, Flower and Garden behind that. Sprinkle in Marathon Week, Pro Bowl week, and sports comps like Gymnastics/Cheer Leading, Disney has found a way to always keep things going on all year round now. Are there days here and there where the crowd levels are lower statistically? Sure, but it's almost unnoticed to the actual park guests IMO. The only times I've noticed a significantly thinned crowd was on 2 separate occasions; one in January in 2014, and again in September 2016 and both days the weather was awful. Steady rain the entire day.

All of this, good comments. Thanks. :)

If you have a guest that has no interest in going because they do not like crowds, I would suggest they just not go to WDW. At least not to the theme parks...

Yeah, I never said that. ;)
The request from him was just for "lower" crowds. You dont know his medical history, so please dont read too much into it.

Last edited:
All of this, good comments. Thanks. :)

Yeah, I never said that. ;)
The request from him was just for "lower" crowds. You dont know his medical history, so please dont read too much into it.
I am not reading into anything, just responding to what you posted..."The main goal is to book a trip with lower crowds. (specific request of one of the members of the party for this part of the family to go)" but I'm telling you there really isn't such a thing as "lower" crowds anymore. If it's a medical issue, then I would be even more inclined to recommend they not go. It's one thing to be annoyed because of crowds, it's a whole other to risk a medical emergency. As you said, I do not know his history. Crowd levels anymore are just a "crap shoot." Sometimes you get lucky, but usually its a madhouse regardless of the time of year. I meant no offense...

but I'm telling you there really isn't such a thing as "lower" crowds anymore.

Crowd levels anymore are just a "crap shoot." Sometimes you get lucky, but usually its a madhouse regardless of the time of year. I meant no offense...

Absolutely. IMO, the best thing you can do is just go when it best suits your life and schedule. There are some obvious times to avoid (anything after Thanksgiving through New Years), but there is no slow season to speak of anymore. *IF* I had to say when the best time to visit in terms of crowd level, it would be just after schools begins session in Aug/Sept, through October (save for Labor Day). Unfortunately, these dates do not work for the OP.

I think I'd pick a time in February when it's not around President's day. Probably the earlier in the month the better. That's taking into consideration nothing other than crowd size.

I would go with early May, and have it well planned as PP mentioned, to have the most enjoyable trip. If you go at RD, schedule FP for late morning/early afternoon, with getting favorites in between those two, you will be ahead of the game even if crowds end up larger than expected. Then depending on preferences of your guests, you can be flexible after that, doing an afternoon break, doing indoor/easier attractions for avoiding heat/long lines(like Philharmagic, Hall of Presidents, shows, etc.) trying for 4th, 5th FP for afternoon (or evening) if coming back, and knowing whatever else you get to is gravy! You can also do RD and plan FP for second park if you want to hop later. You can also plan ADRs for late lunch or do QS at that time for break time during busier/hotter times of day, and less crowded QS at off times. Good planning is key and helps to cushion against crowd levels, which are ever increasing it seems unfortunately.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter