Planning for summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

erikawolf2004

DIS Veteran
What time do the parks open during summer break and how early before that should we get there? When do they normally close. I know what is posted will change between now and then, but our Dining window opens this weekend. What time does it get unbearably hot? I am hoping we can get at least 3hrs of touring in before it is terrible, then go back for lunch, a swim and a nap, then head back around dinner time. I am planning on us doing all our FP's in the morning, is this the best strategy? We don't normally go when it is super hot, so this is totally new planning for us.

TIA

Last edited:
Hours vary. Check Kenny the Pirate’s site. There’s historical hours on there to give you an idea.

We find in the summer it’s just hot all day :) We usually do our FP starting at 10 and over by 1 so that we can do a resort break if we want (we don’t always). That gives us an hour or 2 of short lines before our FP start. Sometimes our “break” is lots of indoor AC attractions (CoP, Country Bears, American Adventure, etc.), a TS meal, etc.

We like summer at WDW a lot, although we do love the heat. There is no shortage of air conditioned areas in all the parks with so many shops, restaurants, shows and indoor attractions.

It's hot all day but after 12 or 1 is when it really gets crazy. So getting up early and getting a few good hours in before that is the way to go. Our rules in the summer are no backtracking, so we plan our steps really well. We make sure to take AC breaks in the longer show-type attractions so we are out of the heat for a bit. Jumping in and out of rides and stores doesn't really help that much IMO. You need 15 minutes to get the benefit. So we make sure to do the things like Philharmagic etc.

What are your dates? The difference between early June and late July can be huge.

What time do the parks open during summer break and how early before that should we get there? When do they normally close. I know what is posted will change between now and then, but our Dining window opens this weekend. What time does it get unbearably hot? I am hoping we can get at least 3hrs of touring in before it is terrible, then go back for lunch, a swim and a nap, then head back around dinner time. I am planning on us doing all our FP's in the morning, is this the best strategy? We don't normally go when it is super hot, so this is totally new planning for us.

TIA

This will all depend on your own style, preferences, heat tolerance, etc... We are summer WDW lovers...2018 will make our 4th straight summer trip, and 9th or 10th overall. We stay for 2+ weeks each time, so we've logged tons of summer days there.

Park hours will vary. They'll open at 8 or 9am...water parks at 10am. Closing can be 9pm, or MK will be open to between 10pm and midnight, depending. This doesn't include EMH (we don't participate, as we're offsite).

How early before park open do you need to get there? Again, depends on your goals. We never show up before park open...ever. To us, it's a waste and doesn't really get you much of anything over showing up right when the park opens, or maybe 10 minutes after. But that's just our opinion, doesn't mean it's wrong to show up early.

What time does it get unbearably hot? Well, what's unbearable for you? In the summer, it's pretty hot a lot of days by time the park opens. By 11am, it's quite warm. But we don't subscribe to the "go back for lunch/nap/swim philosophy. Not that we never do it, because sometimes we do...but not specifically to avoid the heat. If we do it, it's just kind of a spur of the moment thing...we'll be done the things we wanted in the park and just decide we're ready to head back. Sometimes we come back to the parks at night, sometimes we don't. There are SO many places that are air conditioned...most of the rides, and many of the queues...that taking mid day breaks because it's hot is simply unnecessary, IMO. Plus, we'll often stop at a QS place as we walk between rides and get a cup of ice water, which is great.

As for when to do your FP+, again up to you. Yes, we always try to do them as soon as we get to the park (some days, we sleep in and don't even show up at the park until after lunch). We'll schedule them back to back to back and blow through them quickly. That way, we can get 4th, 5th, 6th, etc... On mornings we show up at 9:15am, we can easily get on 8 or 9 rides all via FP+ by 2pm or earlier. We are the opposite of most people here. We don't plan anything, especially in summer. We very much wing it. We try not to cross the park all day, but sometimes we do wind up going back and forth a little bit or backtracking (not the entire park, for sure), and that's OK. We'd very much prefer that than have a spreadsheet/schedule we have to stick to...that's not "vacation" for us. We want to do what we want, when we want.

We LOVE summer, it's the best time to go for us. FP+ are super easy to get, something about warm days at WDW just seem "right" to us.

For going in the morning, break, then back at night..I do this and I strongly recommend scheduling your 3 fast passes all in the afternoon when you return. This way you have key fast passes for when it's busy. Using all 3 early in the morning is a waste since lines will still be on the short side.

As far as the heat, it'll be hot all day and all night. Make sure to have the right type of clothes and hats, sunglasses, etc

As far as the heat, it'll be hot all day and all night. Make sure to have the right type of clothes and hats, sunglasses, etc

Yes, this. Very good point. Hats, sunglasses, sunscreen are vital. The reason we do our FP+ in the morning, even though lines are shorter then, is that we've found it pretty easy to get FP+ for pretty much anything (except FoP) at night anyway. But yes, lines are relatively shorter in the morning, with a few exceptions (FoP, TT, RnR)

Thank you for posting! We head down June 17th and can't wait!

Awesome, we'll be there right around the same time. Forget when we actually head down, but I think it's maybe June 12th or 13th.

Yes, this. Very good point. Hats, sunglasses, sunscreen are vital. The reason we do our FP+ in the morning, even though lines are shorter then, is that we've found it pretty easy to get FP+ for pretty much anything (except FoP) at night anyway. But yes, lines are relatively shorter in the morning, with a few exceptions (FoP, TT, RnR)

Awesome, we'll be there right around the same time. Forget when we actually head down, but I think it's maybe June 12th or 13th.

Do you do lunch in the parks or at your hotel....trying to decide if I want to make ADR for lunch, to get out of the heat.

We will probably do FP's in the morning so we get out top choices done, then go with the flow with others we can make.

We head down June 14th.

We hadn't gone to WDW during the summer for many years, since our kids were out of school. This August, however, was my 60th birthday, and I planned a surprise trip for myself and the family (I ended up not being too surprised :love1: )

Now I remember why we stopped going during the summer. It was pretty brutal. We're rope drop people, but by 12 noonish, we were all drained from the heat. We definitely plan an afternoon break and going back to parks at night helped. I couldn't see spending the whole day in the parks during the summer.

Plan on drinking plenty of water and using lots of sunscreen.

When we go in the summer we go for 2 weeks because we need lots of downtime in AC, lol. Mid-day it’s really hard to be in the parks. Go early, go back late and nap in between if you can.

Do you do lunch in the parks or at your hotel....trying to decide if I want to make ADR for lunch, to get out of the heat.

We will probably do FP's in the morning so we get out top choices done, then go with the flow with others we can make.

We head down June 14th.

We do lunch and/or dinner in the parks. On a 2.5 week summer trip, we will buy a meal in a WDW restaurant maybe once, sometimes not at all. We always pack and bring it with us. It will depend on what our schedule is. If we have a morning in the parks planned, we'll eat breakfast in the condo (we stay offsite and rent townhomes/condos) and pack lunch. We'll leave the parks before dinner and eat "at home". If it's an evening in the parks, we eat lunch in the condo and pack dinner. Saves us a fortune...we spend a very tiny fraction of the money others do on food.

Yeah, the FP+ is really a personal decision, no right or wrong answer. Blowing through them right away works for us simply because we can and do get endless others. Same with the afternoon break idea...no right or wrong answer there. For us, there are so many places to get a break from the heat that a mid day break is not a "necessity", rather something we'll do only if we feel like it. You can spend most of the mid afternoon in the parks yet out of the heat. For example, in MK things like Philharmagic or CoP are wonderful for mid day, as is Laugh Floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter