Pat Robertson dead at 93.

While I can say that I was no fan of the man and the things he said, I also don't think it's right to revel in the death of anyone. It is not a cause for celebration, but rather should be a reflective moment. I understand the impulse, but I think we should strive to do better than that.
If he was twenty one I'd agree, but 93? He had many years to do the right thing and never did.

If he was twenty one I'd agree, but 93? He had many years to do the right thing and never did.
He was a nasty, despicable person. He committed graft and fraud on a cosmic scale, preying on desperate souls actually searching for something, souls who ended up being gang raped spiritually, financially, and often, emotionally and physically. I don't call that hate, I call it evil. If that's not evil, I don't know what is.

I'll reiterate. It's not about who died or respecting them at all. I didn't respect this man and still don't. It is certianly still valid to criticize him and his ideas. What I don't want to do is hope for people to die. I don't want to celebrate when they do and treat it as some great thing - even if I hated them. Of course, we shouldn't hate anyone either.

I just don't want to be that kind of person.
That whole thought is flawed. No one hopes he would die, they just are happy he did, and if there is a heaven then he will still be standing there in the queue when others get in via the lightening lane. Besides that hoping someone would die is not going to force it anyway. If it did there would be a few powerful people no longer spouting their crap.

Anyone that falls for his grift, and people like him, deserve what they get.

I wont miss the guy but also don't feel any joy in his passing.

Let's face it, the writing was on the wall when he changed the 700-Club to the 666-Club.....

Let's face it, the writing was on the wall when he changed the 700-Club to the 666-Club.....

Interestingly, The 700 Club still airs on Disney owned cable channel Freeform due to longstanding contrctual obligations that force any future owner of the channel (formerly The Family Channel) must continue to air it. Some of the programming on Freeform I would say would be pretty philosophically opposed to The 700 Club's views.

• Wow
Reactions: GAN
What I don't want to do is hope for people to die. I don't want to celebrate when they do and treat it as some great thing - even if I hated them. Of course, we shouldn't hate anyone either.

I just don't want to be that kind of person.
I respect your mindset. And I want to think like you. I really do. But I can't in this instance. But, I admire you for sure.

I don’t know, I don’t feel any remorse in being pleased that he will no longer make insane, bigoted, and spiteful accusations about victims of major disasters like 9-11, Hurricane Katrina, the earthquake in Haiti, etc. This wasn’t a holy man. I don’t recall him demonstrating remorse or biting his tongue over the deaths of others.

I know what you’re saying, BrianL, but I think anyone here deserves a free pass to express their feelings the way they did for this guy in particular. I would have preferred to see him publicly humiliated, disowned by his followers, bankrupted, etc, if that means anything.

I don’t know, I don’t feel any remorse in being pleased that he will no longer make insane, bigoted, and spiteful accusations about victims of major disasters like 9-11, Hurricane Katrina, the earthquake in Haiti, etc. This wasn’t a holy man. I don’t recall him demonstrating remorse or biting his tongue over the deaths of others.

I know what you’re saying, BrianL, but I think anyone here deserves a free pass to express their feelings the way they did for this guy in particular. I would have preferred to see him publicly humiliated, disowned by his followers, bankrupted, etc, if that means anything.

Hey, look, absolutely call the man out on his hateful rhetoric. I do not think highly of him at all - he was a scam artist to be sure. I just try not to feel hatred toward people like that. I'm not even always successsful - won't claim to be. I just think it's important to think about what it truly means - to recognize the negative impulse and try not to think that way. It's like, don't celebrate your enemy's defeat, but rather celebrate your own victory.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter