Party of 4 in studio at BLT...just how bad?

BWV2001

Mouseketeer
My family and I were on a cruise last October, so we have been in tight quarters before, but I am concerned at the number of people who talk about how tiny the studios are at BLT. Has anybody stayed there with 4 and not found it so bad? I don't expect that we will be in the room that much, this is a split stay so it's only 3 nights...it's myself, dh, ds (10) and dd (16). Thanks in advance. (And FWIW, I am waitlisted for a 1 BR...)

My family and I were on a cruise last October, so we have been in tight quarters before, but I am concerned at the number of people who talk about how tiny the studios are at BLT. Has anybody stayed there with 4 and not found it so bad? I don't expect that we will be in the room that much, this is a split stay so it's only 3 nights...it's myself, dh, ds (10) and dd (16). Thanks in advance. (And FWIW, I am waitlisted for a 1 BR...)

IMO, bad... BUT you are only talking about 3 nights... :confused3

FWIW, DH & I will only do a BLT studio when it's just the 2 of us & even then we feel a bit squished (although I will say we are spoiled by larger accommodations).

Put 4 people in your bedroom at home, that's about the same size.

:earsboy: Bill

Will your son and daughter sleep together in a double sleep sofa? You may want to bring an aero bed.

I stayed when it first opened with my three kids--we did fine for the 2 nights we were there...we did bring something for my DD to sleep on because she did not want to share with me and we made it fit, but you had to climb over the bed during the night if you had to use the bathroom.

But, if two are sharing a bed, then its doable...

It is about 340 sq ft. which is about 25 sq ft larger than a Port Orleans room, 40 sq ft larger than a Carribean Beach room, and 80 sq ft larger than an All-Stars or Pop Century room. The cruise ship staterooms range from about 185 to 300 sq ft. The BLT studio does have a small balcony (unless ground floor unit which has a patio). Partly what makes it seem small is that it has the mini-kitchen and a queen size bed and when the pull-out couch double is out, it gets fairly cramped.DVC members can easily consider it too small because, except for the small number of "value" rooms at AKV Jambo, stuios at the other WDW DVC resorts are about 360 sg ft and even larger at OKW and VGF, and thus most of us are used to more space.

As PP said, BLT studio feels much smaller because the kitchen is it's own room - it takes space away from the living/sleeping area. It's doable for 3 nights but will probably feel cramped. It's worth it to try out the resort.

I really can't imagine going with two older children. But then, my two sons would rather kill each other than share a bed….and putting in anything else to sleep on will take up most the available floor space after the couch is pulled out.

It'll be tight. I did it with just me, my 10yo son and 13yo daughter. It was a great experience, but I won't do it again.

If your 10yo is small enough you can do what I did and make a bed from the doorway connecting to the next 1br, across to the bathroom. Note though, as I recall, that bathroom door is a slider and was a bit fragile if you have a kicker. Doing this left the main floor area open enough to get to and from the balcony, which in my world is a requirement.

I'd say it would feel similar to the cruise cabin - depending on what you had booked there. You will have one queen bed and one double sofa sleeper so the sleeping arrangement could be the issue but if that works then it sounds like you'd be fine.

We only stay in a Studio when we go. We are a family of 4 as well.
DD is 17 and DS is 14 and they share the sleeper sofa with minimal issues when they first get in bed and then they are fine. We typically stay for 10 days. We have done this in standard hotel rooms (other than Disney), SSR, BLT & AKL Jambo House. We have been doing it that way since we have been going to WDW when they were 3&6 years old.

For us, a hotel room anywhere in WDW was great!...until we stayed in a DVC studio, which was great!....until we stayed in a one bedroom, which was great!...until we...well, no that's pretty much it, the one bedrooms (and better) are great. BUT tons of families do well in hotel rooms and I think you'll be fine in the studio!

We did it with two adults and two under 7. It was fine, but I think it would be tight with teenagers. But if you are used to being in a single hotel room normally, it won't feel much different.

It's definitely doable... It does feel small having 2 teens, and since they don't sleep together, DS gets an air mattress. For 3 days I wouldn't sweat it. Its really a place to sleep and shower anyway.

Thanks, everyone! I am very relieved that most of you think it's doable. I appreciate everyone's replies.

Luckily there is no real silverware in the BLT studio. Just plastic ware. But even that can be used as a weapon. ;)

Luckily there is no real silverware in the BLT studio. Just plastic ware. But even that can be used as a weapon. ;)

:rotfl: Too true.

& I'll keep that in mind for my own family as I take my kiddos to VWL this summer: 3 of us in a studio with my 27yo possibly joining us for a few nights. Thankfully, VWL has plenty of quiet common areas we can disperse to if needed during the day. BLT doesn't have that. After this I might be doing an add-on.

:rotfl: Too true.

& I'll keep that in mind for my own family as I take my kiddos to VWL this summer: 3 of us in a studio with my 27yo possibly joining us for a few nights. Thankfully, VWL has plenty of quiet common areas we can disperse to if needed during the day. BLT doesn't have that. After this I might be doing an add-on.

You'll have a bit more space in the VWL studio.

We found it tight with two teenagers. Getting ready in the morning was the worst part. If you close the sleeper during the day then it's manageable. I would do it if I didn't have a choice or wanted to try the hotel. We probably won't stay there again but I am really happy we tried it. The rooms are beautiful.

Stayed for 6 nights with 2 adults, a 5yr old, and a 7yr old and we had no issues. We've stayed in a 1br before which was obviously nicer but we'd stay in a studio again. We're not in the room much (either at the parks or pools) so didn't mind at all. Considered getting a 1br at OKW for the upcoming trip, then figured since we were fine at BLT, then we should be fine with a studio so booked that. And another trip with the leftover points. ::yes::

ETA: I think a cruise room is worse, smaller and we tend to be in the room a bit more than at WDW. I hate the thought of booking us in 1 room on a cruise but have no trouble with a studio at Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter