Oohh, can we have a Nikon D70(S) thread???

We have a D70 also. Do you all take it to WDW? Also, what's the performance difference between the 600 and the 800 flashes?

Thanks, KC

aggie94 said:
We have a D70 also. Do you all take it to WDW? Also, what's the performance difference between the 600 and the 800 flashes?

Thanks, KC

KC,

Our last Disney trip 3/2005 was our first trip with the D70. We took it both to the parks and on a 3 night cruise. We purchased a great camera bag that is also a backpack and that really helped. Of course I had the camera in my hands for most of the time just putting it away in the bag on rides.

Some of the differences between the 600 and 800 were described earlier in the thread. I'm not exactly sure what they are as we purchased the 800 and I've never used the 600.

Also, what's the performance difference between the 600 and the 800 flashes?
Here are the main differences:
Power -
SB-800 Guide Number of 125 @ 35mm (ISO 100)
SB-600 Guide Number of 98 @ 35mm (ISO 100)

"What's a Guide Number?" It's the number, when divided by the aperture being used, gives you the maximum number of feet away the flash can illuminate. ISO 100 is the usual ISO the number is given in, even though the D70 starts out at ISO 200. (Multiple the Guide Number by 1.4 when moving to 200 from 100) So, when the flash it zoomed out to provide coverage for a 35mm lens and you D70 is set to ISO 200 and your lens is set to use f5.6, the distance a SB-800 can light up is (125*1.4)/5.6= ~31 ft. The SB-600 can go to (98*1.4)/5.6= ~25 ft.

Zoom Coverage -
SB-800 auto zooms 24mm-105mm
SB-600 auto zooms 24mm-85mm

The more you zoom in, the more the light is concentrated in the beam. On top of being more powerful to start with, the SB-800's added zoom will give you even more light when using a flash with a 200mm lens.

Recycle Time -
The SB-800 comes with an attachment that allows you to use a 5th AA battery. This makes for quicker firing of the flash.

Wireless Flash Control -
The SB-800 incorporates Nikon's wireless remote system. You can set the flash off camera and use another Nikon flash to trigger the SB-800 with a special light pulse.

Wow, thanks Geoff. Great explanation!!

Ok, about those batteries.....

I was going to pick up an extra battery (I could not believe how long a charge lasted and then I could not believe how quickly it drained once it showed a lower level). Anyone use the generics? i have this link
generic battery

$17.99 plus shipping. Whatcha think? Thanks all, for answering these (seemingly) endless questions.

Another D70 owner!!! SB800, 50mm 1.8, 18-70 kit lens and 70-300 Sigma (latest APO DG model), 85mm 1.8 and 24mm 2.8. I ordered a 80-400 Sigma with OS (optical stablization) which worked well (I really miss it as I have it on my nearly 5 year old OLY 2100) but it was a little slow and noisey for my tastes. Plus it was a beast! Nikon is releasing an 18-200 VR lens later this year (about $800) that I think I'll get since the 18-70 kit lens is a bit short for my preferences.

The new D200 looks real nice!! Kinda makes me wish I had waited a little longer to make the leap to a DSLR.

Muushka said:
Ok, about those batteries.....

I was going to pick up an extra battery (I could not believe how long a charge lasted and then I could not believe how quickly it drained once it showed a lower level). Anyone use the generics? i have this link
generic battery

$17.99 plus shipping. Whatcha think? Thanks all, for answering these (seemingly) endless questions.

I have 3 batteries. 1 Nikon and 2 Delkins (from Amazon.com). Can't tell the difference and they last forever! Only one battery change on my trip to WDW last week. Took about 300 pics with some internal flash.

Thank you Kimberly and Geoff for your quick answers.

Does anyone know of a good online course or book to help me to learn about my D70?

KC

Thom's eBooks are great. They are money well spent.

Geoff_M said:
Thom's eBooks are great. They are money well spent.

He lives practically right around the corner from me. Well, in my neck of the woods, 20 miles IS around the corner! :teeth:

I will order it also. Thank you all for your patience with me!! :flower:

Muushka said:
I am about to buy a new lens for this camera. We got the 18-70mm that came with it, but the more I read about the Nikkor 50mm f1.8, the more it appeals to me. Smaller, able to take low-lighting shots-who could ask for anything more?? Oh yes, the price! $105.00! I will buy it before we go to WDW this December to get used to it. Anyone got any opinions on this lens?

And while we are at it. We are going to get a flash also. Looking at the SB-600 (mainly because the price is so much less than the SB-800). Just wondering anyone's opinion of these 2 flashes. Thanks. Many more questions to follow........Thanks! Barb

Sorry, double posted this thread......

If you are really dollar driven by every decision you make with your camera you probably made the wrong move in buying a Nikon.

Personally, either of the flashes will do and I typically avoid flash photography except for fill. Exisiting light photography beats flash photography in so many different ways, but also have the SB800 for portrait photography and fill flash.

As far as your choice of the 50mm lense I made the choice of an f1.8 with my first 35mm camera and swore I would never choose an f1.8 if an f1.4 was available for a variety of reasons. So when it came around with my D70 I easily select the f1.4. I shoot a lot of exisiting light photography and the difference between these two lense is very noticable and can mean the difference in getting or missing a picture. I also only select fast lenses and will not consider a lense if the f stop is higher than f2.8.

Charade said:
I have 3 batteries. 1 Nikon and 2 Delkins (from Amazon.com). Can't tell the difference and they last forever! Only one battery change on my trip to WDW last week. Took about 300 pics with some internal flash.
MY EXPERIENCE:
I have found that time exposures and some of the larger up end lenses (i.e. Nikon ED AF Nikkor 80-200mm f2.8 D, no internal lense motor) do drain the battery faster than normal. Taking about 600 exisiting light photos a week, it becomes noticable. So, if anyone is debating lenses like this I would recommend to just buy additional batteries, rather than go out an spend the extra money to get the next higher model up for $600-$800 more to get the internal lense motor unless you are making money off your photographs...considering the difference you could go out and purchase another fast Nikon lense.

If you are really dollar driven by every decision you make with your camera you probably made the wrong move in buying a Nikon.

Ouch.

Muushka said:
That is usually the sound your wallet makes after making a purchase for your Nikon camera...especially if you go for the faster-higher quality Nikon lenses.

Muushka said:
Just beacuse you bought a good digital slr camera doesn't mean you must buy the most expensive equipment available to go with it. If that were the case, why didn't you buy the DX2? Sure, it's $5000, but it's a better camera than the D70! Why bother with a camera that won't do what the best camera will do? The 1.4 may be better than the 1.8 (not everyone agrees), but that doesn't mean the 1.8 isn't a great lense. Many own it and love the pictures they get from it. If many long time Nikon owners are debating which lense is better between the two, it makes sense to get the less expensive of the two if the savings make sense to you. Same with the flash, both good but one has more power than the other. You decide which best fits your needs and your budget. And if you have small kids and or grandkids, a flash is essential. If the less expensive options weren't worth considering Nikon would not bother making them cause noone would buy them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter