Oohh, can we have a Nikon D70(S) thread???

Muushka

<font color=red>I usually feel like I just stepped
I am about to buy a new lens for this camera. We got the 18-70mm that came with it, but the more I read about the Nikkor 50mm f1.8, the more it appeals to me. Smaller, able to take low-lighting shots-who could ask for anything more?? Oh yes, the price! $105.00! I will buy it before we go to WDW this December to get used to it. Anyone got any opinions on this lens?

And while we are at it. We are going to get a flash also. Looking at the SB-600 (mainly because the price is so much less than the SB-800). Just wondering anyone's opinion of these 2 flashes. Thanks. Many more questions to follow........Thanks! Barb

Sorry, double posted this thread......

Count me in on this thread! I've had my d70 for a little over a year now. Love it, but still alot to learn! I'm so happy they added this board! :cool1:

Save your pennies & get the 50mm f/1.4 D/AF. Nikon has made this lens for many years & it is really great. I have the prong mount, manual focus version on my old Nikkormat which takes great pictures. Remember because of the focal length factor on the D70, this lens will behave like a 75mm lens on a film camera.

You might also want to consider the 24-120mm vibartion reduction lens (VR). We just used it on our WDW vacation earlier this month - great photos withour a tripod!

Beauregard

Can us D50 owners join in too?

I just switched from my 35mm SLR but I always had a fast 50mm for low light stuff, a 1.4 usually. One thing to remember is that a 50mm when used on a digital camera is the same as a 75 on a 35mm camera.

I would LOVE to have a D70. So while I can't comment, I certainly will read with interest.

Can us D50 owners join in too?

Of course!! The more the merrier!

I need all the help I can get, believe me.

So, Beauregard, a 50mm 1.4 lens is the way to go huh? I will look into that. With that lower aperature, even lower light, right?? Ouch. That lens is 3 times as much as the f1.8! Hmmm, something to consider. Thanks

So, Nik's Mom. Is Nik the camera?? :banana: Anything to share to minimize my learning curve?

It's a trade off Muushka, like all lens decisions it is affected by how you use your camera. If you need really low light capability the 1.4 is definitely the way to go, it's about the fastest thing out there. If absolute low light capability is not as important the 1.8 will get you pretty far. The 24-120mm VR lens is also interesting (although WAY more money) while not as fast as the first two lens's you can hand hold with a MUCH longer shutter time and get away with it. If your subject is moving, though it will blur.
When I was shooting film I always had a 1.4 and used it a lot. With digital you also have the option of setting your ISO rating higher, increasing noise but the D90 or D50 are fairly good at not increasing it too much

Thanks WM Alex. I talked about it with my husband and we decided to just get the 1.8. We take low level primarily, but it's purely for fun, no pro stuff involved. Can't justify that price tag. 20,000 pennies! That probably makes the 24-120mm VR lens totally out of the question!

Now, about those flashes..... SB600 vs SB800. Any opinions on them??
Do you all think that the flash that comes with the camera is enough (I have yet to see a pop-up perform well, but just collecting opinions here), or did all you D-SLR users supplement it? Is the SB800 worth the extra 20,000 or so pennies?? Thank you. Barb

Muushka said:
Thanks WM Alex. I talked about it with my husband and we decided to just get the 1.8. We take low level primarily, but it's purely for fun, no pro stuff involved. Can't justify that price tag. 20,000 pennies! That probably makes the 24-120mm VR lens totally out of the question!

Now, about those flashes..... SB600 vs SB800. Any opinions on them??
Do you all think that the flash that comes with the camera is enough (I have yet to see a pop-up perform well, but just collecting opinions here), or did all you D-SLR users supplement it? Is the SB800 worth the extra 20,000 or so pennies?? Thank you. Barb

Another D70 owner here :wave2:

I have the SB800. I can't comment on the SB600 my DH went ahead and got me the 800 for my birthday. I did find from playing around in the house that the pop up flash didn't get me the quality that I was looking for. My challenge is low light photography.. this is one of the main reasons for purchasing this camera to have more flexibility in features.

I also have the AF NIKKOR 50mm 1.8 and have to say that I've gotten some great shots with it. Also got some good shots from shows (no flash of course) that I'd never have gotten with my Olympus point and shoot.

I also have the AF-S NIKKOR 24-120MM 3.5-5.6 VR lens (Have you been in my camera bag??? :rotfl2: ) LOVE this lens. Used it much at AK. Course the kit lens got alot of miles as well. That being said I guess I should get busy going through pictures and posting some.

I also need to start getting "The Baby" ready for the surprise Nov/Dec trip coming up soon!

Thanks Landmark, for the info. So, do you love the 800? So glad you got it? Do you pretty much use it whenever you need a flash, or just in certain situations? I am happy to hear you are happy with your 1.8. As soon as Wolf Camera gives us our $50 gift certificate, we will get that puppy!

So, is "the baby" you are getting ready for your Dec trip human or machine???

:wave:

Muushka said:
Thanks Landmark, for the info. So, do you love the 800? So glad you got it? Do you pretty much use it whenever you need a flash, or just in certain situations? I am happy to hear you are happy with your 1.8. As soon as Wolf Camera gives us our $50 gift certificate, we will get that puppy!

So, is "the baby" you are getting ready for your Dec trip human or machine???

:wave:

"The baby" is the D70 :goodvibes I've even been known to strap the camera bag in the seatbelt. :blush:

I do like the 800. I use it as a fill flash quite a bit. It also comes with a diffuser that I've used quite a bit with character photos. It's worked great for some close up animal work, inside, and outside for fill in purposes. I will say though that I'm not a professional and am still on a huge learning curve.

For some reason I think there is even a Nikon rebate on it right now... I remember getting an email from them not too long ago listing some rebates and I usually see if there is a lens that I may want to grab. I know that my mother is also interested in getting a D70 or D50 and so I followed to link to see what was available. Definitly work checking into.

Ah, I suspected that baby wasn't human! Girl after my own heart!

Thank you for the flash information. Very helpful. I will look and see about those rebates. Gotta love 'em!

The 50mm f/1.4 lens is nice to have. This was considered the normal lens on a 35 mm camera, so every company made one. Being a fixed focal length, this was a lens that was relatively easy to combine high sensitivity & excellent image quality. On the D70 this will give a slight telephoto effect, but you retain the great low light sensitivity. Compared to the 24-120mm VR lens, the f/1.4 is 3 whole stops faster. This means for any given light you can shoot at ISO 200 with the f/1.4 for what would require ISO 1600 using the 24-120mm lens.

I use the sb800. It is powerful & comes with color gels, so you can match the flash to the existing lighting in a room. Great for doing fill lighting in a home or office. On the sb800 the flash will tilt & swivel. I don't know if that happens with the sb600.

Oh boy. Looks like everyone so far is using the SB800.
I need to do more homework I guess.

Thanks all! I love this new board!! :love:

I have a D70 from one of the first lots of units that hit the shores after it was released. I also own a D1, and D2h. The D70 is mainly used for weddings and as a backup to my D2h. It's great camera.

As for the 1.4 vs. the 1.8... both are great lenses. Some even think that the 1.8 is a tad sharper than the 1.4. There's a 1/2 stop light difference between the two 50mm's, so unless you think you're likely to need that 1/2 stop a lot or don't care about the price, go with the 1.8.

The SB-600 vs. SB-800. I have the 800. IIRC, the name differences are I THINK the guide number is a bit higher for the 800, it will support wireless operation, and offer both D-TTL and iTTL modes. I need all the light I can get at times, like the possibility of wireless operation, and like the fact that it'll work with my D1 if I need it.

On a general D70 subject, if you have a D70 that was purchased within a few months of its release, your model may develop "BGLOD" syndrome. This stands for "Blinking Green Light of Death". Basically, the green CF card activity light blinks constantly, the LCD is blank, and the camera is a brick. This is due to a metering component that was re-engineered by Nikon after the camera's release. If you have an early unit, expect it to happen. The good news is that Nikon has announced that they will fix the cameras with this problem for free... even after the warranty expires. See: http://www.robgalbraith.com/public_files/D2H_D70_N55_Service_Advisory.pdf

Geoff_M said:
On a general D70 subject, if you have a D70 that was purchased within a few months of its release, your model may develop "BGLOD" syndrome. This stands for "Blinking Green Light of Death". Basically, the green CF card activity light blinks constantly, the LCD is blank, and the camera is a brick. This is due to a metering component that was re-engineered by Nikon after the camera's release. If you have an early unit, expect it to happen. The good news is that Nikon has announced that they will fix the cameras with this problem for free... even after the warranty expires. See: http://www.robgalbraith.com/public_files/D2H_D70_N55_Service_Advisory.pdf

I have heard of this. Thanks for the link. How would we know if we have one of the de-bugged versions? I purchased mine in March 2005.

If you bought yours in March, 2005 then you shouldn't have a problem. The cameras were initially released in April, 2004 and it appears that the part was changed approximately 4-6 months after release. It's rumored that the problem is related to a "slip on" connector cable to the metering circuit that works loose over time (seems to take about a year to disconnect on average). The new component is reported to have a soldered connection. My D70 (bought in April, 2004) BGLOD'ed this July. I shipped it off to Nikon (before they issued the "We'll fix it for free" bulletin) with a note stating that I knew this was a known problem with the camera and I knew that others had gotten their's fixed for free... and 6 days later Nikon had it fixed and back in my hands at no charge.

Thanks Geoff (I used to have a wonderful cat named Geoffrey, I miss him).

I think I will go ahead and get the 1.8 because I am not that picky and can't justify the extra $$. But for the flash, I may bite the bullet and get the SB-800. I hate not having enough light for pictures and I will be mad at myself that I had cheaped out on the flash.

I just got my D70S, so I am safe from the dreaded BGLOD. Thank you for all the great information. Barb

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter