Oohh, can we have a Nikon D70(S) thread???

Muushka said:
Looks like Nikon is recalling some of their EN-EL3 batteries.
Good luck-here is the link:

battery recall for Nikon

EEEK thanks for this. Looked at mine and sure enough I have a 49AC. Just called Nikon as I leave for WDW in 13 days. So I think I will just purchase an extra battery anyway and then have this one replaced.

landmark said:
EEEK thanks for this. Looked at mine and sure enough I have a 49AC. Just called Nikon as I leave for WDW in 13 days. So I think I will just purchase an extra battery anyway and then have this one replaced.

Well, I may have some good news for you if you are not partial to Nikon-only batteries. I was poking around this battery site and found this great sale on the Nikon 'Equivalent' EN-EL3 batteries for $10 plus about $2 per battery for shipping.

Battery link

Another D70 owner here. I purchased mine this past September of 2005. I have a Nikon 8008s SLR but the price of the D70's just got way too tempting and, since I could use my existing lenses, I decided to make the jump.

I have been using a Nikon 995 digicam the past two years. I loved it and hated it at the same time. Loved the conviences of a digital but it was too slow and ate up batteries (I would carry three and always run out too soon). However, I did learn a lot about digital photography from the little guy. :)

I see some are discussing batteries. I was astonished how long the D70's battery lasted! However, I am not one to tempt fate so I purchased an extra battery from my favorite off-brand site, SterlingTek.com, and I was not disappointed.

I recently returned from a trip to England where I visited London and Bath and took over 800 pictures. After I filled up one 1GB CF (about 550 shots), I had to change the battery. I was shooting at the highest JPEG setting. Took many low light pictures and enjoyed the ability to switch from ISO 200 up to ISO 1600 as the lighting indicated on the fly. I used an older Sigma 28-70 Zoom and a Nikon 80-200 Zoom. Not particularly fast lenses but I was shooting for pleasure.

I will say this, it was like coming home when I got my D70. I missed the speed of the SLR.

We love our D70s don't we??

I bought 3 batteries from that same site last (SterlingTek) week at $10 each. Great service and battery seems pretty normal, but have not used it yet.

I too was amazed at how long those things lasted! We had the camera for 2 weeks before we had to charge the battery.

My wife uses the D70 not the S model and for christmas she is getting the Sigma HSM F2.8 APO 70-200. It was 1300.00 but worth it I like the Nikkor lense better but it was listed at over 2 grand . Here is the link to the lense I bought her. She also uses the 28-80 from our F80 along with the 70-300 ED nikkor lense I got for her when I bought the F80.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3306&navigator=3

Here is the link ot the comparative Nikon lense.

http://www.nikon.ca/products/afs-vr-zoom-70-200/

So out of curiosity why is there a difference in warranties between the US and Canada? I almost bought our camera in the US but upon review of the warranty policy by Nikon USA the manufacturers warranty was only 1 year parts 90 days labour as per the call I made to Nikon USA customer service. In Canada the warranty on the camera is 2 years parts and labour. I wonder why the difference in warranties?

Charade said:
AFAIK, US warranty is 1 year/ 1 year.
Hmm interesting because I called the number on the NIKON USA site for customer support and warranty service which by the way is in Kingston Ontario Canada. The Canadian warranty and customer service centre is in Toronto Ontario. I was specifically told by the warranty people at the centre US warranty is one year parts 90 days labour and this was just back in May.

Hello fellow Nikonians! :wave:
I suppose if I did a search I would have found this thread but Muushka was very nice in providing a direct link for me...thank you! Anyways, just bought my D50 a couple of weeks ago, Black Friday, to be exact. So far, I'm diggin' it! I don't know why I waited so long. I've been relying on my point & shoot for everything. While it's compact, picture quality doesn't even come close to my D50. Any other D50 owners loving their DSLR?

BTW, let's see some photos that some of you took with your camera! I'll start it off. As soon as I brought my camera home, I took it out of the box and took my first picture with it. Here it is...
120989608.jpg

What do you think? Comments and suggestions appreciated...

What a beautiful picture. Great color.

So, with your new D50, are you shooting in auto or venturing out to the unknown (shutter and aperature priority or totally manual )?

I find when I am taking family shots I tend to just do aperature priority, but when we are out and about we do manual. I forgot how much I enjoyed using a light meter! I am loving this camera. We are picking up a SB600 flash on Wednesday. Oh boy, more to learn!

Say, do you visit the Nikonian website?

Thanks! Honestly, I was surprised that my very first picture with this camera came out this good! The place where I bought my camera offers various classes for free. I'm thinking about checking it out to learn more about the camera as well as techniques.

It's been 20 years since I've used my old Canon A-1 so I'm rusty at manual settings. Plus, my DW is not SLR-literate so this is really a learning experience for both of us. So, for now, we're in auto mode and we're ok with it.

I am a newbie member on Nikonian. I used them and pbase.com for resources when it came time to buy the D50. I was hesitant at first but if the pros recommended it, I knew I couldn't go wrong. Are you a member there?

I visit the website daily, but have not posted yet. It took me 2 years to post on this website! They are also very helpful. Have fun snapping!

I am about to buy a new lens for this camera. We got the 18-70mm that came with it, but the more I read about the Nikkor 50mm f1.8, the more it appeals to me. Smaller, able to take low-lighting shots-who could ask for anything more?? Oh yes, the price! $105.00! I will buy it before we go to WDW this December to get used to it. Anyone got any opinions on this lens?

And while we are at it. We are going to get a flash also. Looking at the SB-600 (mainly because the price is so much less than the SB-800). Just wondering anyone's opinion of these 2 flashes. Thanks. Many more questions to follow........Thanks! Barb

Sorry, double posted this thread......

It sounds like a nice idea, but given the hostility here towards "Brand specific" threads, I'd be cautious.

It sounds like a nice idea, but given the hostility here towards "Brand specific" threads, I'd be cautious.

Wow, do you realize how old this thread is! Too late, already bought both, but thank you anyway.;)

He knows how old it is. It is just Mark being Mark...

Ahhh, I see. I don't visit here very often, I don't know Mark!

Say, have any of you D70 owners traded for a better camera?
What did you get? Glad you did it?:goodvibes

We are pretty happy with the D70, so it will be ours for many years to come. Finally broke down and bought a better tripod for that heavy beast!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter