• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

One food you could eat every day and not get tired of

You can fix any split sauce with a hand held immersion blender. I've done it numerous times.

This is the way. I have spoken.
:laughing: Probably true but I imagined he had already put the sauce on the pasta. When I do it, I always finish the pasta directly in the sauce so any left-overs couldn't be blended up.

Bacon, really good milk chocolate. Raspberries, blueberries, melons. I wouldn’t even say those foods are really high on my list of favorites (except bacon), but I think I could eat them daily and continue to enjoy them.

I love fish and seafood but I think I could get sick of eating those foods daily..

I eat the same breakfast everyday- scrambled egg whites and fruit (usually sliced banana and/or blueberries) mixed with non-fat vanilla Greek yogurt and sprinkled with ground flax seed. It might sound boring, but the protein keeps me full until lunchtime. It also helps me maintain my weight loss!

Carbonara. I'm sure I'd get sick of it eventually, but as of now I'll eat it whenever I can.

I tried the mac & cheese again. Previously I let my kid do the stirring why I was working on something else. I recall it was boiling and kind of puffed up before I poured in the milk. This time I did it at low heat and took a while for the mixture to thicken up. It also microwaves pretty well without getting stringy.

Of course it feels a little bit flour-y, but that's pretty typical for mac & cheese I see at restaurants that's not just Kraft. And for some reason Kraft boxed mac & cheese is available at a lot of casual dining restaurants. While my kid will eat it, I see a more sophisticated palate now requesting something made with scratch ingredients and not just a powder.

I get that I probably should have cooked it a little bit longer to get the flour to cook, but I'm working on my technique.

I tried the mac & cheese again. Previously I let my kid do the stirring why I was working on something else. I recall it was boiling and kind of puffed up before I poured in the milk. This time I did it at low heat and took a while for the mixture to thicken up. It also microwaves pretty well without getting stringy.

Of course it feels a little bit flour-y, but that's pretty typical for mac & cheese I see at restaurants that's not just Kraft. And for some reason Kraft boxed mac & cheese is available at a lot of casual dining restaurants. While my kid will eat it, I see a more sophisticated palate now requesting something made with scratch ingredients and not just a powder.

I get that I probably should have cooked it a little bit longer to get the flour to cook, but I'm working on my technique.
:thumbsup2 Yes - cook the butter and flour together for 2 or three minutes over moderate heat, stirring pretty constantly. You MUST cook the flour or your finished product will be very “pasty”. Once you’ve cooked the butter and flour add the milk (or stock or whatever) gradually, bringing it to a gentle boil between additions so you can judge the consistency. Start with it quite thick and thin it in increments until it’s just slightly thicker than you want. Make sure it’s hot but not boiling when you add the cheese - shredded so it melts faster and a little at a time so you don’t have a huge clump to try and work in. Stir, stir, stir and once it’s all melted adjust your seasoning and add a little more milk to bring it to the perfect consistency if necessary. If it’s too thin don’t try adding more flour - that will bring you back to the glue stage you were trying to avoid in the first place.

Peanut butter! I love everything about it and could eat it with every meal. The best part is how filling it is. If I know I won't be able to eat for a very long while, I will eat a peanut butter sandwich and not feel hungry for hours and hours. I was in a bad accident years ago and friends from work brought me a giant jar of Skippy instead of flowers as they knew me. Instead of hospital food, I would just eat that out fo the jar and maybe a banana with it. The hospital dietitian was sent to speak with me to find out why I wasn't eating and I showed her my peanut butter jar. I had to agree to at least smear some on a baked potato they would send up.

:thumbsup2 Yes - cook the butter and flour together for 2 or three minutes over moderate heat, stirring pretty constantly. You MUST cook the flour or your finished product will be very “pasty”. Once you’ve cooked the butter and flour add the milk (or stock or whatever) gradually, bringing it to a gentle boil between additions so you can judge the consistency. Start with it quite thick and thin it in increments until it’s just slightly thicker than you want. Make sure it’s hot but not boiling when you add the cheese - shredded so it melts faster and a little at a time so you don’t have a huge clump to try and work in. Stir, stir, stir and once it’s all melted adjust your seasoning and add a little more milk to bring it to the perfect consistency if necessary. If it’s too thin don’t try adding more flour - that will bring you back to the glue stage you were trying to avoid in the first place.

I'm thinking of using cornstarch or tapioca starch instead. I heard maybe halve the amount compared to wheat flour. Even if I don't get it perfect it shouldn't taste like flour.

I had the same bacon, black bean, egg and cheese breakfast burrito for breakfast 6 days a week for 4 years before I decided a change was in order.

Pasta. My kid could live off of mac & cheese. It's gotten to when we go out we seek out good mac & cheese. It's kind of sad that a lot of restaurants now have Kraft mac & cheese as a kids menu item, but really, really good mac & cheese is different. I've tried at home and can't figure it out. I can't get the cheese to "emulsify" unless it's a cheese sauce like Velveeta. It's wasn't the version from their kids menu, but Black Bear Diner had a great mac & cheese as an adult side or a large entree, but that's gone. My kid is devastated that it's gone.

Not sure if you have any Longhorn Steakhouse's near you, but their mac & cheese is to die for. Seriously, the best I have ever had at a restaurant and I am also a mac & cheese snob

Not sure if you have any Longhorn Steakhouse's near you, but their mac & cheese is to die for. Seriously, the best I have ever had at a restaurant and I am also a mac & cheese snob

Looked it up. There is a single location in California in an LA County suburb. So I guess no go there.

What my kid really wanted was Outback's lobster mac & cheese, but that's was $10 just for a side portion unless it came as part of a deal with a steak.

I could live on Panda Express' chow mein. Or lemon pepper wings from WingStop.
In all reality, I eat the same sandwich for breakfast every morning (homemade bagel, egg, cream cheese), and I typically have the same lunch for weeks at a time. Usually salmon and squash or a burrito bowl.

I'm thinking of using cornstarch or tapioca starch instead. I heard maybe halve the amount compared to wheat flour. Even if I don't get it perfect it shouldn't taste like flour.
OK - but those thicken differently than flour. Using either of those you don't make a roux. If you want to try it you'd heat your milk and butter until they're very hot and then make a slurry of cornstarch and cold water/milk. Add the slurry to your hot liquid and whisk assertively until the mixture is boiling and thickened. Using starch, your mixture must boil for the thickening properties to kick in. You can continue to add more starch slurry until it's the right consistency - don't try to add dry starch to hot liquid or you'll get a clumpy nightmare. An alternate to this would be mixing dry starch with cold milk and making sure it's extremely well incorporated, then bringing the whole thing to a boil.

Once the white sauce is where you want it, let it cool so that it's not boiling and add the shredded cheese. Once the cheese is in it, you don't want to boil it at all or it will split. :confused3 Honestly, using this method isn't going to be any less work or more fool-proof than the butter/flour roux way, and I doubt very many experienced cooks would do it for mac and cheese, but I wish you well!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter