Omicron has arrived in Canada... travel plans in jeopardy again for Christmas and March breaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely feel you. We have a trip booked for the Marathon Race Weekend. We're worried. Terrified. We totally thought we were in the clear or rather, we'd be able to do things with appropriate precautions.

I should clarify - we're not overly terrified of the virus. (I mean, a healthy amount of fear) It's more 'terrified that everything will get cancelled again' - we're not looking forward to that!

yeah but 13th in a country with one of the lowest vaccination rates in the world (not counting countries with serious issues with obtaining vaccines) is not a great accomplishment. Only 60% of Florida is fully vaccinated. And who knows with bordering states' visitors. I'm just saying it's important to be careful and aware if we decide to go.
Which I think all of us plan to do no matter where we go or what we do. I was simply pointing out that Florida is not the dumpster fire that it was this summer, and the unvaccinated Floridians don’t pose a risk to my fully vaccinated family necessarily.

We are all going to take the risks that we are comfortable with ultimately. I’m making sure to make my decisions based on facts.

Which I think all of us plan to do no matter where we go or what we do. I was simply pointing out that Florida is not the dumpster fire that it was this summer, and the unvaccinated Floridians don’t pose a risk to my fully vaccinated family necessarily.

We are all going to take the risks that we are comfortable with ultimately. I’m making sure to make my decisions based on facts.

Exactly!!! Just cause we are going doesn’t mean we aren’t going to be careful.

We will have medical procedural masks instead of cloth ones. We will be avoiding shows and crowded areas for fireworks. Eating quick service during non peak times (so we have more control over where we sit and less crowded) or eating outside. And sanitizing our hands like crazy.

We will all be fully vaccinated and all of us going are also healthy with no real risk factors. If we did catch it, very very small risk we get sick. We accept that if we test positive we have to hunker down in Florida for 2 weeks.

Everything has a risk and everyone has to make the decision with what risks they can accept.

I'm not worried about Covid much in Canada anymore due to our vaccination rate. I don't trust our neighbors due to their low vaccination rate. With that reason I would be ok if they tighten the border crossing again.
But our neighbors have to be vaccinated in order to come so I hope they keep the border open

But our neighbors have to be vaccinated in order to come so I hope they keep the border open
I'm not saying to close the border. I'm saying every car that crosses should have to show their vaccine card. From what I have heard very people are asked to show it.

I'm not saying to close the border. I'm saying every car that crosses should have to show their vaccine card. From what I have heard very people are asked to show it.
Thanks for the clarification. I wasn’t aware that very few have to show it. I definitely feel less safe knowing that.

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn’t aware that very few have to show it. I definitely feel less safe knowing that.
They ask if you're vaccinated but rarely ask to see it. We all know how well the honor system works.

They ask if you're vaccinated but rarely ask to see it. We all know how well the honor system works.
That would be like driving to the border with out a passport with the hopes of not being asked to produce one. I doubt very many people are taking the chance of showing up without a card in hopes of not being asked only to be turned back.

For those of you who don't live in Ottawa, this story might be of interest to those planning to travel. It's one of our local anchors who went to South Africa for a friends wedding. Then Omicron hit and now he's stuck. Tested positive too... He took all the precautions recommended...

Stefan Keyes

Be careful out there.

For those of you who don't live in Ottawa, this story might be of interest to those planning to travel. It's one of our local anchors who went to South Africa for a friends wedding. Then Omicron hit and now he's stuck. Tested positive too... He took all the precautions recommended...

Stefan Keyes

Be careful out there.
Indeed, calculated risk. It’s encouraging that he doesn’t appear to be very ill , though that’s anecdotal and he doesn’t know if he has the omicron variant yet. I wish they would mention his vaccine status.

We do have very solid plan B if one of us tests positive thankfully.

Indeed, calculated risk. It’s encouraging that he doesn’t appear to be very ill , though that’s anecdotal and he doesn’t know if he has the omicron variant yet. I wish they would mention his vaccine status.

We do have very solid plan B if one of us tests positive thankfully.

What I’ve been reading is they have so far noticed mainly mild symptoms with this new variant.

Policy on COVID discussions

The global COVID pandemic created unprecedented restrictions, disruptions and changes to our travel, work, shopping, schooling, social interactions and so many other aspects of our lives since the beginning of 2020. We’ve all been affected, and we have been inundated with news, information, mis-information, frustrations and opinions. We’ve heard them, we’ve shared them, we’ve argued about them.

The discussions, debates and arguments about the virus, distancing and masking policies, various politicians’ statements and actions have been overwhelming and divisive. Many threads on the DISboards have been derailed or devolved into arguments due to this topic. We understand the passion, but feel that we’ve let the discussions run their course. We are sure there are better places on the WWW to learn about and debate scientific, medical and political issues. The mission of the DISboards is to be a great travel resource and a friendly community.

Now that travel is opening up again, it’s time to refocus on that mission!

From this point on, we will welcome information on COVID policies RELATED TO TRAVEL. Things like the vaccination policies issued by venues or destinations, the cleaning or distancing procedures in use, practical tips for travelers or things they might need to know that are different from location to location are all valid topics. Any official policies issued by Disney, other travel destinations, cruise lines, airlines, etc. regarding requirements for visiting parks or cruising can be shared. This information needs to be on-topic for the specific forum and thread where posted.

We will NOT welcome debate or opinion about medical, scientific, or political aspects of the pandemic. There are a few often repeated trigger items that won’t be allowed: No statistics about infection rates, no ranting about individual rights, no “face-diaper” comments, no debate about whether vaccinations or masking are effective, no discussions about which governor or politician or news personality did or said what.

In summary: COVID related discussion should be limited to actual policy and practical application, and NOT veer into opinion or debate.

We understand that you may be passionate in your opinions on this topic and want to discuss or debate them, and appreciate your understanding that there are more appropriate places than the DISboards to do that.

Thank you,
DISboards Administrators

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter