Omicron has arrived in Canada... travel plans in jeopardy again for Christmas and March breaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why I’m not freaking out yet. This could really be no bigger deal then we are dealing with already

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/29/omicron-covid-variant-symptoms-heres-what-we-know-so-far.html
I think what we may be looking at is our new normal therefore if people are going to freak out every time a new variant comes around they will die an early death from stress not COVID. I would say get vaccinated but it's pretty clear at this point that the vast majority of the people that haven't been vaccinated have no desire to do so and new variants are unlikely to significantly change their positions. I've gotten my booster and wear masks indoors in public settings, beyond that I felt it best to largely go about my life prior to omicron and would say the same to others. As new variants emerge I'll probably limit my indoor activities and take other stepped up precautions until there's more information but try not to let it add unnecessary stress to my life.

I think what we may be looking at is our new normal therefore if people are going to freak out every time a new variant comes around they will die an early death from stress not COVID. I would say get vaccinated but it's pretty clear at this point that the vast majority of the people that haven't been vaccinated have no desire to do so and new variants are unlikely to significantly change their positions. I've gotten my booster and wear masks indoors in public settings, beyond that I felt it best to largely go about my life prior to omicron and would say the same to others. As new variants emerge I'll probably limit my indoor activities and take other stepped up precautions until there's more information but try not to let it add unnecessary stress to my life.
I'm not really even worried about the variant. I *AM* worried about the political reaction to it.

With all the discussion on this board about PCR testing in order to return to Canada, anyone else wonder how these two individuals were able to board their plane and fly into Montreal airport? So many unanswered questions.

eta: today they are saying there could be 4 more cases, 2 in Ottawa and 2 in Hamilton! UGH!!

I'm not really even worried about the variant. I *AM* worried about the political reaction to it.
That's understandable, they do seem to be shutting things down right now however I expect the variant is already in all large countries at this point (or will be very soon) and that they may reduce the restrictions once it's clear these things are largely uncontrollable for non-island nations. Of course I could be wrong, hopefully for others' sakes I'm not.

With all the discussion on this board about PCR testing in order to return to Canada, anyone else wonder how these two individuals were able to board their plane and fly into Montreal airport? So many unanswered questions.

eta: today they are saying there could be 4 more cases, 2 in Ottawa and 2 in Hamilton! UGH!!
When dealing with something like a virus by the time they realize there's an issue that closing the borders might help all too often the cat is already out of the bag. They've identified 6 but who knows if more had already arrived prior to anyone realizing there was a new variant.

Covid19 latency is 1-14 days. You can easily test negative immediately after exposure, or be exposed within the 72 hours after your test.

I'm not worried about Covid much in Canada anymore due to our vaccination rate. I don't trust our neighbors due to their low vaccination rate. With that reason I would be ok if they tighten the border crossing again.

The PCR test is done 72 hours before. So possible they got infected after they did their test, or they could have been infected a day or two before their test and it was too soon for it to show up on the test.

I'm so done. So over the pandemic. I know, get in line. But I've got a Christmas trip to Florida planned and I'm going to be so sad if I have to cancel yet another trip.
Planning on early January. I get it. I've been following all the protocols for almost 2 years. But I want to go!!!! Omnicron be gone!!! :crazy2::guilty:

The PCR test is done 72 hours before. So possible they got infected after they did their test, or they could have been infected a day or two before their test and it was too soon for it to show up on the test.
They might have been infected even before. Even a few days before.

I was so looking forward to pediatric vaccine approval this week. This would have reassured me more to travel in the March break. Then Omicron showed up... and it's even in Canada now (two cases identified in Ottawa). I am not sure if I should book the plane tickets for March break any more. :sad:
I'm booked for Dec 9-18. DVC points so if I cancel I basically lose them (they go into a holding account with strict rules for use). I managed to score a booster shot for December 5, just a few days before I leave. I know I won't have the full benefit of it right away, but I was relieved to get it anyway. I feel like once I made the critical decision not to cancel, I knew I'd have to "suck it up buttercup" whatever happens. I'm now hoping the U.S. doesn't implement restrictions on Canada. I truly thought we'd be nearing the end of this nightmare by now. :crazy2:

Not the US. Especially not in Florida.
That's exactly why I'm for tougher restrictions. I would fine with the border opening but have an issue with how they are handling it. People should have to show proof of vaccination to cross. Using the honor system doesn't work.

My other issue has to do with how it's being handled in other parts of the world.

A little off topic, I'm surprised so many still want to go to Disney right now. With all the complaints and Genie+ being a disaster why would anyone want to go. There is a lot of better parks in Florida to go to.

Not the US. Especially not in Florida.
Floridas vaccination rate is 13th in the country. They would also have a much larger population that had contracted Covid and therefore have immunity.

Again , nobody has said what closing our borders accomplishes when we aren’t letting in anyone who isn’t vaccinated and we aren’t allowed to return without a PCR test. I’m all for strong public health restrictions but I prefer they are based in fact.

Last edited:
That's exactly why I'm for tougher restrictions. I would fine with the border opening but have an issue with how they are handling it. People should have to show proof of vaccination to cross. Using the honor system doesn't work.

My other issue has to do with how it's being handled in other parts of the world.

A little off topic, I'm surprised so many still want to go to Disney right now. With all the complaints and Genie+ being a disaster why would anyone want to go. There is a lot of better parks in Florida to go to.

You do have to show proof of vaccine to come back to Canada and not quarantine. Plus I don’t know many that would lie on customs forms for the US.

Many of us want to go because we have been waiting almost 2 years to go. And kids don’t stay young forever

Floridas vaccination rate is 13th in the country. They would also have a much larger population that had contracted Covid and therefore have immunity.

Again , nobody has said what closing our borders accomplishes when we aren’t letting in anyone who isn’t vaccinated and we aren’t allowed to return without a PCR test. I’m all for strong public health restrictions but I prefer they are based in fact.
yeah but 13th in a country with one of the lowest vaccination rates in the world (not counting countries with serious issues with obtaining vaccines) is not a great accomplishment. Only 60% of Florida is fully vaccinated. And who knows with bordering states' visitors. I'm just saying it's important to be careful and aware if we decide to go.

We were responsible parents, yet our DS contracted the illness 3 days after the vaccine was approved. We thought we would be good since the rest of us were vaccinated, however that proved not to be the case. We were all symptomatic with fevers, shortness of breath, and cough. The point is, make your own decisions about what you think is right, but my feeling post covid is "YOLO". Be responsible as possible, but please don't miss out on living.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter