• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OKW misery

Song of the South

Mouseketeer
We are at OKW building 55. The Downtown Disney dance party is so loud for the second night in a row that it might as well be in our room. "Everybody clap your hands!" With 3 kids who will be up at 6:30am this is making for a miserable trip. If we had been told this at checkin we would have opted to keep our assigned room. Good thing tonight is the last night.

SotS

Correction: it is 1am and we have been told it is a private party at Typhoon Lagoon. Also, that Disney has different noise ordinances than the rest of Orlando.

I feel your pain. We were at Panama City Beach this last week during "Thunder at the Beach" week. Probably 60,000 motorcycles in town - I was so sleepy by Monday morning when they all left that I had to be careful not to fall asleep in the tub! :crazy2:

Yes, private parties at TL do tend to echo through OKW. Usually they turn it down some at 10pm, but even so you can still hear the Thumpa-Thumpa of the dance music. There is another private party at TL on June 6, from 7pm to 2am. It can be very loud or just a minor annoyance, depending upon weather conditions. Sometimes the sounds really carries, other times, not so much.

Sorry to hear about the noise.....

We will be there for 2 nights in August ....now I have figure out how to avoid noise...:confused:

I had to give myself a time out this morning talking to the supervisor. "It was a private party and so nothing could be done about the noise." "So, if Disney isn't in charge on Disney property who is?" I realized that nothing she could say could fix it. :( I will be writing a letter. I wish I could post a video here. My dark room and the DJ...

SotS

What do you expect them to do to fix it?

What do you expect them to do to fix it?

There should be something in the party contracts that stipulate a time that the music is turned down and then later off. It's been going around that it was the College Program End of Term party. Disney CAN control that. OP was not staying at a party resort, at Panama Beach, at Spring Break but at a Disney resort away from this party venue. A good night sleep isn't too much to expect.

There should be something in the party contracts that stipulate a time that the music is turned down and then later off. It's been going around that it was the College Program End of Term party. Disney CAN control that. OP was not staying at a party resort, at Panama Beach, at Spring Break but at a Disney resort away from this party venue. A good night sleep isn't too much to expect.

But again, this is nothing new. Such private parties have been going on fairly regularly at TL for many, many years with the music funneling up into OKW. To expect a sudden change in policy after so many years (and yes, years of complaints that accompanied the parties) isn't terribly realistic. OKW is less than 2000 feet from TL. It is closer to TL than it is to DtD or EPCOT, and we hear the EPCOT fireworks every night, too.

But again, this is nothing new. Such private parties have been going on fairly regularly at TL for many, many years with the music funneling up into OKW. To expect a sudden change in policy after so many years (and yes, years of complaints that accompanied the parties) isn't terribly realistic. OKW is less than 2000 feet from TL. It is closer to TL than it is to DtD or EPCOT, and we hear the EPCOT fireworks every night, too.

We've been OKW owners for 21 yrs, but have stayed at AKV the last several. I had no idea there were late night parties that could be heard through the walls at OKW. Sadly, I will permanently cross OKW off our list, since we can generally get what we want elsewhere at 7 mths. OP, I'm sorry, I feel your aggravation, and I thank you for the information. It sounds like OKW needs some more insulation/soundproofing. We have stayed at AKV as I stated, and have gotten the bus/parking view, and those sliders are so sound-proofed, we couldn't even hear the buses.

Song of the South said:
We are at OKW building 55. The Downtown Disney dance party is so loud for the second night in a row that it might as well be in our room. "Everybody clap your hands!" With 3 kids who will be up at 6:30am this is making for a miserable trip. If we hatd been told this at checkin we would have opted to keep our assigned room. Good thing tonight is the last night.

SotS

Here's a thought Disney...how about you not book private functions at TL consecutive nights in a row? Maybe 2 to 4 per month and not consecutive. Sorry OP that you had a rough stay at OKW.

OKW is less than 2000 feet from TL. It is closer to TL than it is to DtD or EPCOT, and we hear the EPCOT fireworks every night, too.

But the EPCOT fireworks are at 9pm, and last 15 minutes.

At least those parties are infrequent, and luckily for me, there has never been one on any of the 198 nights I've stayed at OKW.

Here's a thought Disney...how about you not book private functions at TL consecutive nights in a row? Maybe 2 to 4 per month and not consecutive. Sorry OP that you had a rough stay at OKW.

Actually, they are pretty rare. Where does anyone say they were booked for consecutive nights? In my over 365 nights I've stayed at OKW since 1992, with the exception of the annual private TL private party that takes place the first weekend of June, I've only heard one other private party at TL.

Actually, they are pretty rare. Where does anyone say they were booked for consecutive nights? In my over 365 nights I've stayed at OKW since 1992, with the exception of the annual private TL private party that takes place the first weekend of June, I've only heard one other private party at TL.

In OP, which I quoted in my post above, she states 'for the second night in a row'.

In OP, which I quoted in my post above, she states 'for the second night in a row'.

I missed that. I've never known them to book consecutive nights before, as I said, TL parties in general are pretty rare. And I've stayed at OKW at almost all times of the year.

We always bring a small fan for the white noise. i don't know about the party noise, but it helps drown out the traffic and bus sounds.:happytv:

I read on another thread that it was for end of year for the college program kids, so timing was within Disney's control. Maybe they could not all be accomodated in one night.

Op, so sorry you had this unfortunate experience at OKW. Look at this thread:

www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2935573

The title says it all. "Tonight at OKW....a Rave outside my window!"

You will see we experienced the same thing a couple years ago.

For anyone reading this, be prepared. June is coming along with pool parties at TL. We are spending time at OKW this summer, but I am bringing the Tylenol PM and a white noise machine this time. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter