Ok, how much is 50lbs of luggage, really?

frannn

<font color=blue>please stop the madnesssss alread
I am beginning my mental "to pack" list for our 14 day FL trip (10 days at WDW!). Usually, DH and I shove as much as will fit in our 2 large luggages, then sit on them, then shove in some more! Now that there is a 50 lb limit, I would like to pack more wisely. Approximately how much stuff can I pack? (I am moronic when it comes to guessing weight/measurement). I don't wear shorts, so I won't pack any. I will probably take about 12 t shirts, 2 sweatshirts, 1 sweatjacket, 8 prs capris, 3 prs jeans (the legging type of denim), a pair of sandles, 1-2 sundresses, undergarments, socks, toiletries, and a few small misc items. Am I kidding myself trying to fit all my stuff into one luggage and staying under the 50 lb limit? I'm sure the empty luggage weighs a few pounds by itself...I bought some spacebags for organization...(Our carry ons won't help too much for more luggage space- we have camera's, etc that will take up that space). Thanks so much!

First get out your luggage and measure the linear dimensions. Most airlines have a limit of 61 inches - that's length+height+depth. If it's bigger than that, it's extra $, if they check for it.

Now, I have a 29" pullman that I used to pack 7 days of clothes for me and the 2 kids. I also had in swimsuits, toiletry bag, first aid bag and a couple other odds and ends.

I put my bag full on the bathroom scale and it weighed like 40 lbs. I would have tried to fit DH's stuff in there, but it really would have been packed and I don't like packing that tight. We knew we were going to take the extra big rolling duffle for our souvenirs so his stuff got put in there.

So, you can probably fit a lot in there. But I don't think you can fit what you are asking for and still have it be under the weight limit. Best bet is to weigh it on the bathroom scale and pare down if you can.

Or leave more clothes at home and do some laundry while you are on vacation.

If you have to sit on suitcases to close them, they are too full. These days over half of suitcases are opened and hand inspected. They are NOT going to sit on your suitcase to close it--and they will NOT take responsibility for items missing from over stuffed bags.

Lay out what you think you'll need on the bed. Now put half of it back.

I take two underpacked medium sized pullmans plus a tote each for three of us for a week. That includes a dressy outfit or two for dinner each night. One place to save is shoes--color coordinate. I take one pair of sandals for every day, another dressier to wear in the evening when I'm dressed up. Sneakers are worn on the plane.

You say you are packing:

I will probably take about 12 t shirts, 2 sweatshirts, 1 sweatjacket, 8 prs capris, 3 prs jeans (the legging type of denim), a pair of sandles, 1-2 sundresses

First off you don't need three jackets in September/October in WDW. Carry one on the plane with you and leave the rest home. Next, 11 pairs of pants plus two dresses for ten days? Make it 5 pair of capris, 1 pair of jeans, and one or two dresses. Leave a few of the shirts at home unless you're SURE you won't buy any as WDW souveniers. Undies--pack enough for 4-5 days, you can rinse these out and drip dry them at night.

There--I just cut your packing list in half for you! :)

Anne

Anne is right, You CANNOT over stuff your luggage anymore.

(1) Luggage can't be locked to keep it from exploding open
(2) Overstuffed luggage is harder for the xray machines to read so it is more likely to be opened and more the screeners are NOT going to spend an hour repacking.

Now to some basics.

You are going to Florida in the summer and you are taking THREE sweatshirts. I don't take any.

Dump some pants you can re-wear them. 11 pairs of pants and two dresses. For a 14 day trip, do laundry take half the undergarmets, etc and WASH! Who cares if someone sees you in the same thing, you DH probably won't notice and you won't know anyone else!

Do a web search for packing lite. I think it is www.packlite.org for some suggestions.

Did you actually wear all that stuff last time? Think about it, if not leave it at home.

Or buy a new suitcase & take everything you want! :) Seriously, it sounds like you should take a third suitcase. 2 weeks is a long trip. Cutting back will help, but there's no reason to squish your stuff in one bag when you are allowed to check 2 each.

For our last trip of that length (WDW + 4 day cruise) we had 3 medium suitcases (24 or 25"??) plus a rolling duffle. This was for 2 adults & a 2 year old. We did laundry once. If it weren't for the cruise we would have left one suitcase home. We used the duffle for socks, diapers, ponchos, bathing suits, shoes, etc. Things that didn't need to stay neatly packed. None of the bags was over the weight limit.

It does sound like you have a lot of stuff, but I don't even own 11 pairs of pants that fit me! I can often get two wearings from a pair of short or pants. You may also want to pack laundry tablets & plan to do a wash halfway though your trip. Take a pool day, relax & get clean clothes.

Most airlines allow two pieces of checked luggage. You are better off bringing two bags rather than trying to cram it all into one coffin sized bag. Bring two manageable size pieces of luggage.

We just travelled back from a trip to the Florida Keys (DH insisted on somewhere other than WDW....I suffered thru it!!!) and the other couple had a bag that was stuffed with clothes and they were going to charge her extra until she gave them a $30.00 tip at curbside. It did not appear to have been opened for a security check, but they are much more aware of the weight now so I would agree with the posters suggesting a second bag.

Some good advise, take a extra bag. We have a soft side duffle, without wheels, it weights almost nothing and you can pack a lot of stuff into it. It is flexible to squeeze into a trunk of the car and, gives you a lot of flexibility.

We have a pretty big suitcase that is going to be retired, it is 7or 8 lbs empty, does not leave much room for clothes. DW is a big over packer, those days are over.

There is a volunteer campaign called Suitcases for Kids that collects used luggage for children in the foster care system. Very often, these kids end up storing their entire lives in a plastic garbage bag, and they would be very happy to have that old suitcase that you don't use anymore for whatever reason.

All that the campaign asks is that the cases be in good working order, no broken zippers or dangling handles, please.

Call your local Division of Family Services office, or its equivalent, to find out if there is a local organization that can use your bags. This website has more information: http://www.suitcasesforkids.org/

Originally posted by NotUrsula
There is a volunteer campaign called Suitcases for Kids that collects used luggage for children in the foster care system. Very often, these kids end up storing their entire lives in a plastic garbage bag, and they would be very happy to have that old suitcase that you don't use anymore for whatever reason.

All that the campaign asks is that the cases be in good working order, no broken zippers or dangling handles, please.

Call your local Division of Family Services office, or its equivalent, to find out if there is a local organization that can use your bags. This website has more information: http://www.suitcasesforkids.org/

Great idea. Thanks. We have a GLUT of baggage here and one of the donation centers is really local!

When are you going that you need ALL of those winter clothes. OK, granted you don't wear shorts, but jeans?? capris are fine and sweatshirts?? For my May and Oct trips I never even take pants and just a windbreaker jacket. I've yet ever regreted it and figured if it got too cold, I would love a new sweatshirt!! so far, I haven't gotten one yet. Now if you're going in Dec or Jan, OK, maybe some warm clothes. As I prepare to pack this week with our trip about a week away, all I have is tanks, shorts, and sleeveless tops, did throw a pair of capri in and this is for a 15 day trip. I too miss the higher weight because I use to pack one big bag and one small for both my dh and myself, but now am looking at 3 medium size bags, with lots of room for extras. Also always pack a soft side tote to throw the dirty stuff in. ALSO--I pack the tide and dryer sheets just in case I run short. I have a friend who ALWAYS overpacks and brings back an entire suitcase of unworn clothes. She had to stop flying when they started limiting luggage, so now endures a 20 hour drive.

The 50 lb weight limit is really not a problem, except on the way home. Note that sneakers are heavier than sandals and take up more space. If you are planning on bringing anything back that is heavy, either make sure you have another bag or have it sent home from the park.

I will admit to going over the max limit on my way home, but add in my normal clothes plus souveniers (including a 20 lb board game) and 2 pairs of soaking wet sneakers. When you hit the 70, 75 lbs mark, that is when you think about 2 suitcases. I am packing one inside another and packing lighter this year. My goal is to stay under that 50 lb limit. Otherwise, I believe that it is now a $25 surcharge.

Where did the 50 lb limit come from? We travel USAirways and there's is higher:

For each ticketed customer, US Airways will transport free of charge a maximum of three bags:
Up to two (2) bags may be checked free of charge
One (1) bag may be transported as carry-on

Note: The Transportation Security Administration advises -- For your security, The TSA is screening all checked baggage. Unlocked bags can be examined quickly. Locked bags will be opened if necessary, then resealed. That process could result in delay or damage. You can find further information on the TSA website: www.TSATravelTips.us.

Each piece of baggage to be checked without charge cannot exceed a weight of 70 pounds and dimensions of 62 inches, in overall length, width and height.

An extra charge applies for additional, overweight, and/or oversized pieces. In no event will US Airways accept baggage that weighs more than 100 pounds and/or baggage that measures in single dimensions more than 72 inches or combined dimensions exceeding 115 inches. Special items such as pets, surfboards, bicycles, scuba equipment, etc. are not included in the customer's free baggage allowance and are subject to an extra charge.

Note: If the itinerary includes a code-share flight operated by United, check with the originating carrier regarding excess baggage policies and fees. Fee charges will be applied for each one-way journey from your origination to the final destination.

Carry-on baggage is limited to one piece per customer, plus a personal item such as a purse, briefcase, laptop, small backpack, diaper bag or camera case. The personal item cannot exceed total overall dimensions of 36 inches, and the other item of baggage cannot exceed the following maximum dimensions:

Valet Closet--4x23 1/2x45
Overhead Stowage--10x16x24
Underseat Stowage--8x16x21
Both items cannot exceed a total combined weight of 40 pounds. Carry-on baggage allowance may be restricted due to lack of space.

I'm flying Delta and that is part of their restrictions:

Baggage Weight and Size Limitations
All checked baggage is subject to the following restrictions:

Weight

Items on domestic flights should not weigh more than 50 lbs.
Items on domestic flights weighing between 51 and 100 lbs will be charged an excess baggage fee.
Items on international flights should not weigh more than 70 lbs.
Items on international flights weighing between 70 and 100 lbs will be charged an excess baggage fee.
Items over 100 lbs will not be accepted

I do believe that the weigh limit was lowered recently (in the past year) from 70 to 50 on domestic flights. This is where the 50 lb limit is most likely coming from

I'm glad I always fly USAirways - that quote was from their website and is up to date since right before it, it went on about locking and TSA, etc. Guess each airline is different.

Yep, that is one of the challanges things can be different on different airlines and can change often so be sure you have checked the most RECENT webpages.

Also, the tip idea is running 50/50 on working and you better be generous. On a travel board I read (unrealted to Disney) lots of folks have reported that the skycaps are saying sorry but the airlines have basically told them if the skycaps DON'T enforce luggage limits, they are gone. Keep in mind skycaps are not airline union employees so they don't have some of the protection say a baggage handler might have. I think that a $20 or $30 might work but your avg $1-$3 per bag probably isn't going to get it.

And for those of you traveling internationally (i.e., Disneyland Paris) you can't use a skycap and the limits can be different from domestic limits.

OK everyone- for those who are wondering- 50 pounds MEANS 50 pounds.
I work for a major airlines, and the employees that travel will be charged if their checked in luggage exceeds 50 pounds. That is PER BAG, PER PASSENGER> Weigh it before you leave. If you are uncertain, have an extra bag available, that you can put the extra luggage in, if it exceeds 50 pounds.

Weight enforcement is new for US carriers, but European carriers have been religious about it pretty much all along (fuel is MUCH more expensive for them.)

Usually, the charge for an extra bag over limit is less than the charge for one that exceeds the weight limits. When travelling abroad, I prefer to use one larger bag + a carryon, due to having to keep up with bags on trains, etc. I usually travel abroad in winter, and I seem to always end up over weight limit. The simple answer is to also pack a light, strong duffle in the suitcase, and if it goes over weight, take out some of the heavier items and put them in the duffle, then check the, duffle, too. Once you've arrived, you can re-consolidate. Using ziploc bags for packing makes this simple and quick to do.

Someone else mentioned laying everything out on the bed first; best tip you will ever hear. NEVER pack directly into a suitcase. Always lay out everything you mean to pack, in a place where you can see it all at once, so that you don't accidentally duplicate something that you have already packed and can no longer see on top of the suitcase. Be very critical of what you see, and don't take any clothing item that does not match at least 2 other pieces. I do follow the "lay it all out, then put half of it back" rule; it satisfies that sense of needing to have checked out all your options before narrowing down. Anytime I'm somewhere where washing facilities are available, I limit my clothing to 5 days' worth. Longer than that, I do a load of laundry. Also, unless I know I'm going to be riding a horse, jeans are OUT -- too heavy, and take forever to dry. (If you don't believe me on the jeans, try this: take 3 prs. of jeans, and 3 prs of chinos, fold them up in a stack, and weigh each stack on your bathroom scale. You will find that you can pack twice as many prs. of khakis as jeans, for the same luggage weight.) If you think it will be cold, pack a nylon windbreaker & windpants. If you think it will be REALLY cold, pack silk long underwear.

Laundry tip: take soap tablets, a couple of dryer sheets in a ziploc, and a dye-catcher sheet, so that you don't need to be so picky about separating colors. (If you packed right, the colors won't be much of an issue.)

I'm all of 115 pounds. I go by with what I can lift. If I can't pick it up, it's at least 50 pounds.

If you need exact numbers, weigh yourself first then pick up the suitcase. Subtract. There you go!

:cool:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter