Official Wine & Dine 2014

I want to do this. I'm SUCH a beginning runner. I've been doing Couch to 5K for a while. (Started last fall but then tweaked my knee because I didn't give myself resting days. Ever. Bad idea.) I started back after Christmas and I'm in about week 4. It's going well. I HATE running on the treadmill, so I get bored with running but I think I'd be less so outside. So. Am I crazy to consider this? (Background info: I'm 44--well, 45 in a week. I'm small (5'1") and pretty slim. I'm a fairly active person, but I'm not "toned." I am thin but not in shape if that makes any sense.) Am I being unrealistic, do you think? Some friends and I have already decided to come and do the 5K, but I want to do the 1/2. I think I can, I think I can...

It's definitely not impossible. I did my first half around four months after I started running? So with us having 10 months you have plenty of time to work up to a half marathon.

I know someone mentioned the Galloway method. And I know the basic plans are great. But sometimes the best thing to do is to find a local training group in your area for a long term race. Trust me the right trainer can work wonders to your running program. And if you don't feel right with one don't feel scared to ditch one (been there done that even with the pre-payment). I've been with this one group for three months and watched my races go from trouble ridden and slow 4 hour plus (where the only reason I finished was the buffer and keeping ahead of the sweepers until mile 10) to just shy of the 3 and a half hour mark. I have the DDD in September plus the 5k before DDD. I am going to try and PR the half that weekend. And as I told my Mom 'If this guy can shave this much time off of my running time in three months I can't wait to see what magic he can work in 8 months'.

It's definitely not impossible. I did my first half around four months after I started running? So with us having 10 months you have plenty of time to work up to a half marathon.

I know someone mentioned the Galloway method. And I know the basic plans are great. But sometimes the best thing to do is to find a local training group in your area for a long term race. Trust me the right trainer can work wonders to your running program. And if you don't feel right with one don't feel scared to ditch one (been there done that even with the pre-payment). I've been with this one group for three months and watched my races go from trouble ridden and slow 4 hour plus (where the only reason I finished was the buffer and keeping ahead of the sweepers until mile 10) to just shy of the 3 and a half hour mark. I have the DDD in September plus the 5k before DDD. I am going to try and PR the half that weekend. And as I told my Mom 'If this guy can shave this much time off of my running time in three months I can't wait to see what magic he can work in 8 months'.
Thank you for the advice. I live in a very small rural town, so I don't know if such a thing even exists around here, but I will look into it. There are 2 fitness centers in town, so they might know.

Another question for runners who are also passholders. In general, have you found that it is better to take the race rooms discounts or just use a passholder discount on the rooms?

Another question for runners who are also passholders. In general, have you found that it is better to take the race rooms discounts or just use a passholder discount on the rooms?

I would like to know about room discounts too.

Also, does anyone know what time registration will open on the 26th? My work computer is not reliable so I would like to register before I leave for work. Otherwise I will need a backup plan.

Also, does anyone know what time registration will open on the 26th? My work computer is not reliable so I would like to register before I leave for work. Otherwise I will need a backup plan.

Disney races always open at 12 pm EST/9 am PST. No matter what day of the week, month, or year for a fairly long time. Unless they are doing a specific time of registration (like the Green Friday sale where they opened up Tinker Bell slots back in 2012 for the 2013 race). But yeah for this race it opens at that time. And unless they make some sort of announcement sometime soon saying that they are going to drastically change the time they do their registration at it will stay at that time.

I'm an AP holder but my Dad never asks me about booking until its too late (meaning I find out he booked after the fact, so I can't use my discount). So I can't tell you about what the race discounts vs the AP discounts look like sadly. I know discounts vary depend on the hotel with the AP but that's pretty much it.

Thank you so much for the information--and most especially for the encouragement! I'm feeling pretty jazzed. :)
:thumbsup2

Oh, oh, oh, pick me - I love talking room discounts! :rotfl::yay:

Okay, here's the deal: rD has pretty much ditched any kind of room/ticket discounts for recent races. Possible they'll do something for W&D, but I wouldn't count on it. In any case, AP rates are always better than what rD can do, in my experience. It's hard to wait for those to come out, though, and there's always the possibility that there won't be any AP discounts for race host resorts. The AP rates are worth staying at non-host resorts IF you have your own transportation. If not, look for a general public or rD discount instead to snag a host resort.

Also, keep an eye on Travelocity and Orbitz. I've booked my last 3 race hotels through Travelocity - they had WDW rooms at whatever general public discount was being offered, plus I used Travelocity codes for extra savings - I paid considerably less than anything I could have gotten direct through Disney, including AP rates. :thumbsup2

Hi! I'm thinking about signing up for the Wine & Dine but I know I'll be a runner/walker. How out of place will I be if I don't run the whole thing but walk in parts? I know I need to meet the time requirement and I think I can do that.

:thumbsup2

Oh, oh, oh, pick me - I love talking room discounts! :rotfl::yay:

Okay, here's the deal: rD has pretty much ditched any kind of room/ticket discounts for recent races. Possible they'll do something for W&D, but I wouldn't count on it. In any case, AP rates are always better than what rD can do, in my experience. It's hard to wait for those to come out, though, and there's always the possibility that there won't be any AP discounts for race host resorts. The AP rates are worth staying at non-host resorts IF you have your own transportation. If not, look for a general public or rD discount instead to snag a host resort.

Also, keep an eye on Travelocity and Orbitz. I've booked my last 3 race hotels through Travelocity - they had WDW rooms at whatever general public discount was being offered, plus I used Travelocity codes for extra savings - I paid considerably less than anything I could have gotten direct through Disney, including AP rates. :thumbsup2

Thank you so much for such a great, detailed response! I just booked a 2 bedroom villa simply because there will likely be 5 of us (3 adults, 2 kids), and we are non-related so cramming us in is probably unwise. ;) I will look around, though, and see if I can find a way to move to host resorts. And/or if I can apply a discount to my room. It's room-only so I have tons of time to cancel. I figure if I book a room I'll more likely go through with this madness. ;)

One more lodging question--do the host resorts remain the same from year-to-year or might they change from last year?

It's room-only so I have tons of time to cancel. I figure if I book a room I'll more likely go through with this madness. ;)
Happy to help, and yep - that's exactly how I operate! I book something that seems good and rebook (and rebook, and rebook...) as better deals come along. I changed resorts a week out for Marathon weekend, lol! :thumbsup2

Happy to help, and yep - that's exactly how I operate! I book something that seems good and rebook (and rebook, and rebook...) as better deals come along. I changed resorts a week out for Marathon weekend, lol! :thumbsup2

Yeah, I already think we're decided to come without kids, so I'm already making changes. ;)

Hi all! :wave: I'm new (very new) to running. I actually never considered running until after I saw people with their shiny medals at the last marathon weekend in the World. I've decided to train for the W&D Half, and I'm looking forward to meeting some of you!

Back at ya Abby! :wave2:

Welcome! Word of warning runDisney is extremely addicting! Already have plans out to 2016!

I KNEW I couldn't be the only one! :yay:

I am somewhat new to running, but not the DIS (I've been lurking for years) and was wondering how fast W&D sells out. I'm doing my first half in May. Registration for it sold out in under 12 hours. Does W&D sell out that fast too?

I THINK it sold out around June(?) last year. But if the DDD at DL this year is any indication, it'll probably go quicker. That one sold out in 42 minutes today! :scared: I know they take alot more registrations for the W&D, (something like 14,500 runners), but if you even think you're going to run, just do it.

Good question! I'd like to know if Wine & Dine sells out quickly. I'll be at work when registration opens. Wanting to know if I should bring my laptop to work or become :sick: that morning lol

Bring it! :thumbsup2

See below...

I'm going with a similar approach. My body has just fallen apart from distance training over the brutally hot summer here, prepping for TOT the last two years, so I'm NOT doing that this year. I'm focusing on speed at shorter distances through the hot months and I'll start adding mileage in Sept, probably. W&D will be a strictly fun race for me though; no time goal at all.

About registration... Based on the last few races, I think it's safe to expect a fast sell-out on this one. I think we'll probably have a day or two, but I wouldn't wait longer than that if you really want in!

Agreed! :thumbsup2

I want to do this. I'm SUCH a beginning runner. I've been doing Couch to 5K for a while. (Started last fall but then tweaked my knee because I didn't give myself resting days. Ever. Bad idea.) I started back after Christmas and I'm in about week 4. It's going well. I HATE running on the treadmill, so I get bored with running but I think I'd be less so outside. So. Am I crazy to consider this? (Background info: I'm 44--well, 45 in a week. I'm small (5'1") and pretty slim. I'm a fairly active person, but I'm not "toned." I am thin but not in shape if that makes any sense.) Am I being unrealistic, do you think? Some friends and I have already decided to come and do the 5K, but I want to do the 1/2. I think I can, I think I can...

I've seen people walk the entire thing. As long as you keep that 16 minute/mile pace, you'll be fine. :goodvibes

I'm so excited to see so many new names this year! I think most people have a love/hate relationship with the W&D. Alot of early birds hate the late starting time but so many of us LOVE the after party.:dance3: Knowing that an uncrowded party at Epcot is waiting for you at the end can actually make you run faster! :rotfl2:

Hi all!! :wave2: W&D newbie here!!! DBF and I have done 2 races, well 3 by Nov, at DL and this will be our first in WDW. DBF will be going for his coast to coast, which I am very jealous of. I don't think I'm quite ready for a 1/2 yet (I've been doing the 10ks), but I'm considering doing the 5k for W&D. Bus since it's super early the same day as the 1/2, I might go at it all alone. Hopefully I can find some friends??

Anyhow, loving all the insights on the thread!! Just waiting (im)patiently for my DVC 7 month window to open....

Hi all!! :wave2: W&D newbie here!!! DBF and I have done 2 races, well 3 by Nov, at DL and this will be our first in WDW. DBF will be going for his coast to coast, which I am very jealous of. I don't think I'm quite ready for a 1/2 yet (I've been doing the 10ks), but I'm considering doing the 5k for W&D. Bus since it's super early the same day as the 1/2, I might go at it all alone. Hopefully I can find some friends??

Anyhow, loving all the insights on the thread!! Just waiting (im)patiently for my DVC 7 month window to open....

At least one of my traveling companions will be running the 5k, and she might be alone as well. I'm sure others will be in that boat (I may be alone for the half. Nervous!).

I THINK it sold out around June(?) last year. But if the DDD at DL this year is any indication, it'll probably go quicker. That one sold out in 42 minutes today! :scared: I know they take alot more registrations for the W&D, (something like 14,500 runners), but if you even think you're going to run, just do it.

I've seen people walk the entire thing. As long as you keep that 16 minute/mile pace, you'll be fine. :goodvibes

I'm so excited to see so many new names this year! I think most people have a love/hate relationship with the W&D. Alot of early birds hate the late starting time but so many of us LOVE the after party.:dance3: Knowing that an uncrowded party at Epcot is waiting for you at the end can actually make you run faster! :rotfl2:

What's funny is I'm a night owl. So technically the Wine and Dine is right up my ally. But let me tell you staying up late is one thing, staying up late and running 13.1 miles is another. Even with all the night time training I did to make sure I was ready for this race! I still started feeling the effects after a certain point for the race. Don't ask me why.

Speaking of the 5k when registration comes up I think I am going to have to sit on my Mom to keep her from registering for it. She's being a bit enthusiastic about registering for Disney 5ks this year! And as supportive of her doing them I am I really can't let her do this 5k because if she does this one that means I am going to be forced to get up whether or not I am running the darn thing. And with the 5k and the half on the same day that is not a good thing (the only time I will consider running both on the same day is if they start officially doing a challenge with a medal involved).

I'm going to feel so left out this year...... Hmmmmmmm. I may be crazy but I'm still debating. I PROMISED DH I wouldn't run it this year, but I love love love this race (despite my difficulties with it).

And stargirl I'm a total night owl as well which means I was able to be up and awake for it no problem but there's something about waiting ALL day for a race that i realize now drives me nuts! Still love it though.

What's funny is I'm a night owl. So technically the Wine and Dine is right up my ally. But let me tell you staying up late is one thing, staying up late and running 13.1 miles is another. Even with all the night time training I did to make sure I was ready for this race! I still started feeling the effects after a certain point for the race. Don't ask me why.

I'm having a bit of internal panic about the night race thing, especially since I am NOT a night owl. What sort of night training did you do/do you recommend?

Does anyone anticipate a "host resort" this year? (and the corresponding 20% off lodging rates?)

Brian

So.... what do y'all do when it completely ices over in your neck of the woods, and you can't train outside????

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter